Problems faced in computer builds

King Ludwig

Registered Redophile
I will start with mine over the years and hopefully we get a few more responses on what drives them nuts during a build...

Western Digital Black series drives...I have yet to see one NOT catch fire...

I for one have nothing but bad luck with anything in the Gigabyte line...and this goes back to 2000...all AMD platform levels...

Motherboard issues galore...mostly dead memory channel and an overheating problem that make their power supplies seem like a cool Arctic breeze...
Power supplies going dead after 20 minutes of use...
NO LINUX DRIVERS...
When the memory is maxed out...you can't access the SATA ports...
You thought you were going deaf every time they updated the audio drivers (Sane went for MSI until I found a 15 step code Linux application)
When Wi-Fi drivers came out...they rarely worked...
Customer service accuses you of sabotaging every product you RMA...even when it is under warranty and used correctly...

This got me started with either ASUS or MSI on their boards...
My main complaint with the boards I used with MSI were simply no Linux support...

ASUS tended to overheat a bit and now they've gotten worse with the x570 TUF Gaming with Wi-Fi...
Wi-Fi cut out within a week
RGB was iffy at best...

I'm not switching to the AM5 setback until they get ALL the bugs in it...mostly ASUS and Gigabyte are at fault here...

AMD has had their share of bombs lately starting with the Radeon RX6500XT (a laptop GPU that needed a LOT more going for it well before it went to market and is known as the only 6GB card that has trouble running at 3GB)... The only other thing is that they get rid of the bugs out of the AM5 chipsst...and there are more than Indiana Jones faced in the Temple Of Doom...

Any other problems that I may not have covered here...please lost them here...

For the most part, I have been fairly lucky with my builds, and even when I was building for other people. I have the occaisional bad DIMM, but I tend to not overclock to the exteremes where timings, voltages, etc. are pushed to the max.

From a motherboard perspective, I have stuck with either MSI or ASUS. I think I tried an ASROCK one once, and it was fine. I just like the MSI and ASUS experience better.

Honeslty, my biggest issue in my build is the cable management. Let's just say the sausages at the end of my hands aren't condusive to properly running those liitle cables and attaching them to pins on the mobo. You know, the power switch, reset switch, HDD lights, etc..

I have stopped building for others, as I just can't support them anymore. Once you build one for someone, it seems to come with a slightly limited warranty. I am not a managed service provider.

In my latest build, which is about 2 years old now I did have an issue with the TPM firmware with my R7 3700X (AM4). Once MSI fixed the BIOS, everything has been fine.

Besides the lack of vSOC control in the BIOS, what are some other current AM5 issues? Yes, exploding the CPU and the Mobo really isn't good, but it seems to be addressed in the latest AGESA provided by AMD to the motherboard guys.

How the hell did I forget cable management???

The ASUS and Gigabyte boards under the AM5 were so hot...they soldered the chips to the boards... If they didn't burn out the chips altogether...

I'm currently going from an ancient AM2 to a newer AM4 build... Now with me not supposed to be lifting anything over 15 lbs...this will be difficult getting the new computer in place...

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom