LGKbot

They see me rollin'. They hatin'.
Staff member
LGKash:
$500.00
Fagemo_Feb17_2023.jpg

Good things come to those who wait.

That’s what they say.

After basically destroying the AHL goal race and then being snubbed for the leagues All-Star game last week, Sammy Fagemo has been recalled to the NHL by the LA Kings.

The 23-year-old forward has scored a remarkable 20 goals in 24 games with Ontario this season. In total, he has 33 points. He also leads the league with nine power-play goals (PPG). Perhaps even more remarkable, the Swedish winger has collected points in 19 of his 24 games played with Ontario.

Originally claimed off waivers by the Predators earlier this season — when the Kings were caught in a roster crunch — Fagemo has been nearly unstoppable since GM Rob Blake reclaimed him off waivers about a month later.

Now, he can remain on the NHL roster without requiring waivers again for 30 days or 10 games played, whichever comes first.

At one point last week, he was leading the AHL in scoring. Currently, he sits tied for second-most in scoring across the AHL while his 33 points rank sixth and 1.38 points-per-game average paces all active AHL skaters (min. GP: 20).

From our article on Fagemo last week:

It’s not just goals, though. Fagemo has only been held without a point in just four of the 22 games he’s played with the Reign this season.

In speaking with coach Marco Sturm on Saturday night, he offered the following when asked if he was seeing a different player this season, compared to Fagemo last year:

“I think so, I really think so,” said the former NHL player, turned coach. “Since he’s come back, he’s been awesome. I really like [his play]. It’s not easy for him being back here either. He’s still hoping for a chance [at the NHL], but he’s definitely been a way bigger threat than he was last year.”

Fagemo believes the consistent results he’s experiencing this season are a direct byproduct of the work he put in during the offseason.

“I’m just having a lot of fun right now, and I think that’s really important,” he began. “I think that was my biggest thing to work on during the summer; to get more consistent and be mentally strong. I’m really happy that it’s been going good so far.”

He now joins the Kings with 17 games of NHL experience. Fagemo has four points in those contests, including three goals.

Fagemo, first NHL goal

[vs. Carolina Hurricanes]Samuel Fagemo #68 (Los Angeles Kings) first NHL goal Dec 3, 2022

— The Mayor | Team MM (@mayorNHL) January 15, 2024

He scored his first NHL goal against Carolina, and ironically it was a Kings game against the Hurricanes on Monday that led to this recall.

Center Blake Lizotte was injured in that contest and will be further evaluated when the team returns to Los Angeles tomorrow.

Although the Kings still have 12 healthy forwards on the trip (Arthur Kaliyev has been a healthy scratch the past few games and can draw in for the injured. Lizotte), the timing of the recall is two-fold.

For one, it gives coach Todd McLellan some insurance for Tuesday night’s game in Dallas. Could Fagemo play against the Stars tonight? Sure, it’s possible — Just not absolutely necessary.

Second, Ontario is scheduled to play back to back games in Abbotsford on Tuesday and Wednesday. If Fagemo had remained with the Reign, that would have all but ruled him out for Thursday’s Kings-Predators matchup in Los Angeles.

Whether Fagemo plays tonight or not, this gives McLellan maximum roster flexibility for Thursday.

RELATED CONTENT:

Follow @mayorNHL

Comments

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom