The Athletic and Kings Coverage

M

MBX5

Lurker
I have noticed that since the Athletic terminated its relationship with Lisa Dillman, who I think did a fantastic job covering the Kings, its coverage of the Kings has been half hearted at best, with the Ducks staff writer filling in with what I would view as being somewhat superficial articles. I am contemplating canceling my subscription as a result, but wanted to see if it was just me who thinks the coverage is lacking and/or whether I am being unfair given the time of year? Perhaps they are planning on bringing someone else in to cover the Kings, but, if not, I think it may be time to cut the cord with the Athletic, at least for me.

Eric Stephens, I think, is the guy covering them? I believe he said they're looking for her replacement. Big shoes to fill, she was great.

Losing Dillman was a bad move. Her coverage of the Kings was excellent and whoever comes next will almost certainly be a step down. Really too bad.

There's more to the athletic than kings coverage, I'd keep it for Sean McIndoe alone. I liked Lisa's coverage, tried and true journalism without too much bloggy atmosphere. That said I'm pretty confident they will bring someone new into it and see how they do. No idea how they rate the writers on there. If it's all about the clicks or the comments then I expect the whole thing to go down quickly

The Athletic has been going downhill since the New York Times bought them and started to let go talented writers like Lisa to improve their bottom line.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/06/new...lans-to-buy-the-athletic-for-550-million.html

I knew it would be going downhill as with all the NY Times group touches and canceled my subscription after the sale was finalized. I still get most of the same info off of twitter accounts I follow

My sub ends in a week. I'll probably cancel on Sunday as well. It really stinks because I love the draft coverage and prospect rankings (although prospect writeups can be one step above horoscopes for accuracy) but I feel like so many of my teams have had their beat writers let go and not replaced. Nothing against Eric Stephens but how can you let Lisa Dillman go and how do you keep the Ducks person over the Kings when the Kings have a larger fanbase?

The old business model was like Uber, lose money on every account and let the venture capitalists fund most of the thing and either it goes bust or it somehow makes it and the founders get rich. The latter happened. Now NYT is trying to make it profitable which means letting people go and trying to raise the price.

My sub ends in a week. I'll probably cancel on Sunday as well. It really stinks because I love the draft coverage and prospect rankings (although prospect writeups can be one step above horoscopes for accuracy) but I feel like so many of my teams have had their beat writers let go and not replaced. Nothing against Eric Stephens but how can you let Lisa Dillman go and how do you keep the Ducks person over the Kings when the Kings have a larger fanbase?

The old business model was like Uber, lose money on every account and let the venture capitalists fund most of the thing and either it goes bust or it somehow makes it and the founders get rich. The latter happened. Now NYT is trying to make it profitable which means letting people go and trying to raise the price.
All true, but.... Their hockey coverage is still head and shoulders better than anything else out there. And we have no idea why Lisa left. I'll at least wait to see who they replace her with.

Back