Let's discuss PP strategies

MiketheKing

Super Star
Complaining only get you so far I want to share notes with others maybe I'm missing something but I love to discuss our shortcomings and our special teams.

I always try to watch other teams, see what they're doing see what's efficient what's not and then it's night and day compared to what we're doing.

On PP, you don't always have to score but you at least have to have some sort of chances.

1. Watching Dallas and Vegas what they do is they enter the Zone with a little bit of speed, then they swarm the puck to retrieve.

Our team is too small and weak that they don't have the strength to board battle every time we dump it behind the net we lose that most of the time because it's a game of hot potato and getting out muscle so that eliminates one strategy for cycle.

2. Nobody moves around on the power play we're set in position so there's no real need for big defenseman to move at all to change the angle or create chances.

3. No real offensive threat on the blue line for bombs that other teams have to respect

4. Good teams on the power play inch in as they move around so the D is getting towards the top of the circles when they're at the peak of setting up we stay high and don't force the other team to respect

5. Hot Potato passing and Desperation not creating your own space.
No skilled Hotshot players that have the ability to dance inside the zone and create havoc everyone wants to pass the buck

6. If we're going to pass the puck to the perimeter at least somebody has to get close and drive the net screen the goalie jostle with the D create Havoc we're just standing on the sidelines hoping and praying for a easy rebound.

When we shoot the puck for rebounds we're shooting them high easily gloved and stopping play, if not missing high and wide altogether.

7. Edmonton players stay at home plate guarding the front because they're not forced to do anything else and they're there in numbers in order to get the rebounds cleared out. Without matching their numbers down low or forcing in it's a great strategy for perimeter play

Acknowledging all of our shortcomings I think our only real strategy is to play with balls and enforce your will, draw penalties move the puck fast and crash the net as much as possible to create chaos.

Other teams get right in our face and pressure at the Blue Line and Chase players all over without fear because no one's willing to take a one-on-one move and challenge them.

If you can't challenge a team by pressing forward you're playing not to get turnovers and you're not forcing the play that's why we're so passive and happy with perimeter.

That's my assessment, what do you guys got? What can you add or disagree with?

My issue with the PP is that they seem to be out of sync on entrances. When they carry, they typically don't use a pass option at the blue line and they get swarmed and lose the puck. Alternatively, when the puck carrier dumps in, they dont usually have anybody else with speed to help chase down the puck.

I think doughty does actually have a decent shot from the point, and at one point in the season he was leading the league with goals from point shots (he may have finished the season leading that stat i dont know). But, i dont find him to be a great passer, and he's somewhat slow on decision making, giving opposing teams an opportunity to shift and get into position.

Additionally, like were seeing with edmonton, teams that apply pressure and force the kings to make passes seem to generally catch the kings off guard and ill prepared to pass and relieve pressure or take advantage of that pressure.

It feels like a PP that has decided to "keep it simple" but winds up forcing set plays that aren't available, rather than reading and reacting accordingly.

I think doughty does actually have a decent shot from the point, and at one point in the season he was leading the league with goals from point shots

I believe the stat he led in was slap shot goals, not necessarily overall shots from the point. He's got a bomb if it gets on net, but hard to rely on.

Our PP is really interestingly bad - during the regular season I swear we were ranked 30th, but we ended up 15th or something. And here against the Oilers we're obviously 0 for infinite. We sucked at the eye test all year with the power play. And all Edmonton has done is collapse the net, and pressure the puck carrier, and it's like game over the Kings PP. We're too slow and sloppy with our passes, and maybe just not creative enough. I swear I don't think we've got it "set up" once, which maybe is just not a valid strategy against that style of pressure defense. The way around it of course is crisp clean passes, creativity, and fast shots. The best look we get is yeah, the slow kinda pass up to the point that goes wide or hits someone. Kings really need to speed things up and I suppose stop trying to be so damn cute with plays. Someone large (55 or 80 for f***'s sake, neither of which are on PP1 since Arvy's return I believe) should 100% always be in Skinner's face. They've not understood this fact I don't think. I think they're better off looking for chippy down low goals rather than the beautiful one timer, which just results in a poke check and out the puck goes.

Last edited:
The current PP setup is a total failure because they really think that it was the missing threat of a right hand shot down low. Thats crap and they should know it. The setup is a total failure because Vilardi down low with his handles represented a tremendous threat to make everyone look stupid. That collapsed lanes and opened the golden road to Kempe because of the two, teams had to respect Vilardi and well Kempe might miss the one timer.

Currently the focus of the PP is still to work a Kempe one timer, but they don't have a viable second threat to open it up. The keep attempting the bump pass to the center but VA as a setup man is not intimidating and everyone else they've tried in there as a shooter keeps moving into the lane that could open up Kempe taking away any second option.

PP's advantage are that you have one more man than they do. This team has done absolutely nothing to take advantage of that in scheme, tempo or even psyche. The seem honestly shocked every game when the PK doesn't respect their man advantage. If they at least got offended about it and started to take steps it would be helpful but the fact is they keep letting players play 1-1 in those situations even when they have an extra man and it's mind bogglingly arrogant at minimum.

Ideas they could implement:

Doughty one time at the point- this seems to work best when they create a small triangle on one side of the net forcing the PK's to cheat a third penalty killer over to help/cover lanes (typically the back door to kempe). There has to be a threat of a shot but if they want to pass from the goal line through the bumper off the wall and crash the net when doughty shoots it would be viable. The risk is if that pass is tipped it could be a clear breakaway for the high PK thats left with Doughty positioned to shoot instead of chase

1-3-1 bumper transition to half wall- If they wanted to try to get Kempe or Byfield as a shooter in the bump they could run mini cycle;s from the bottom to try and drag one of the PK'ers out to allow for the bottom pass across crease to the backside one timer. Tampa used to run variations of this to open stamkos on the backside. They had Kucherov and Point in their cycle who needed to be respected and could make that pass though.

Right now they would be better off peppering shots and attacking every rebound as a 2-1 to recovery and playing up tempo to wear out the pk'ers and roll 3 lines at them instead of setting up PP minutes.

The current PP setup is a total failure because they really think that it was the missing threat of a right hand shot down low. Thats crap and they should know it. The setup is a total failure because Vilardi down low with his handles represented a tremendous threat to make everyone look stupid. That collapsed lanes and opened the golden road to Kempe because of the two, teams had to respect Vilardi and well Kempe might miss the one timer.

Currently the focus of the PP is still to work a Kempe one timer, but they don't have a viable second threat to open it up. The keep attempting the bump pass to the center but VA as a setup man is not intimidating and everyone else they've tried in there as a shooter keeps moving into the lane that could open up Kempe taking away any second option.

PP's advantage are that you have one more man than they do. This team has done absolutely nothing to take advantage of that in scheme, tempo or even psyche. The seem honestly shocked every game when the PK doesn't respect their man advantage. If they at least got offended about it and started to take steps it would be helpful but the fact is they keep letting players play 1-1 in those situations even when they have an extra man and it's mind bogglingly arrogant at minimum.

Doughty one time at the point- this seems to work best when they create a small triangle on one side of the net forcing the PK's to cheat a third penalty killer over to help/cover lanes (typically the back door to kempe). There has to be a threat of a shot but if they want to pass from the goal line through the bumper off the wall and crash the net when doughty shoots it would be viable. The risk is if that pass is tipped it could be a clear breakaway for the high PK thats left with Doughty positioned to shoot instead of chase

1-3-1 bumper transition to half wall- If they wanted to try to get Kempe or Byfield as a shooter in the bump they could run mini cycle;s from the bottom to try and drag one of the PK'ers out to allow for the bottom pass across crease to the backside one timer. Tampa used to run variations of this to open stamkos on the backside. They had Kucherov and Point in their cycle who needed to be respected and could make that pass though.

Right now they would be better off peppering shots and attacking every rebound as a 2-1 to recovery and playing up tempo to wear out the pk'ers and roll 3 lines at them instead of setting up PP minutes.
this ^^^^^^ Or pass less and shoot more....... :mhihi:

They keep trying to jam Force the same play over and over and there is no plan B, other than overpass and try to do the same plan again

A little urgency would be nice. Tired of watching the penalty killer get to the player before the pass does.

Need a guy in front raising havoc but there hardly ever is.
Especially since Arvy came back, all they do is have him at the bumper spot standing there while the other four guys try to force pucks to him. Need to make adjustments on the fly but don’t seem to understand the concept

They constantly have trouble getting into the zone. Our D outside of Drew and Mikey do not have accuracy. Spence is getting there.

I wish PLD just parked his giant frame right in front. It seemed to work for us in the beginning of the season to let other shots get by.

Off topic... why is everyone's avatar/icon suddenly the size of a blue-ribbon hog? It makes it tough to read these posts.

Last edited:
It seems so obvious, where is the disconnect?

I mean is that not the whole point of Dubois and Byfield at the minimum? I'm not saying it's either of their "faults" it seems like a system issue that it's not quite happening. I think we'd benefit from Clarke right now, and I think they should have groomed em a bit better this season.

Off topic... why is everyone's avatar/icon suddenly the size of a blue-ribbon hog? It makes it tough to read these posts.

I thought it was just me and also figured I'm the only person left posting on a laptop. It's weird. My 8bit avatar is scary looking this. big.

Not at all relevant to the conversation, but fun fact just the same:

Both Trent Yawney, Kings penalty kill coordinator & Glen Gullickson, Oilers power play guy, both grew up in Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan, a town of only 1400. (For all non-Canadians who may not know, Saskatchewan is one of 10 provinces in Canada,)

As you were….

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom