All Things:Thriller/Crime/Action

Wasn't entirely sure where to put this.

TIFF First Look: Arnold Schwarzenegger & Abigail Breslin In The Zombie Flick 'Maggie' | The Playlist

Set to make its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, "Maggie" sees Ah-Note in a more serious mode alongside Abigail Breslin and Joely Richardson in co-starring roles. Here's the official synopsis: A Midwestern farmer stays by the side of his beloved teenage daughter even as she slowly turns into a cannibalistic zombie, in this daring, genre-bending debut feature from director Henry Hobson.

Wonder Woman Actress Gal Gadot Joins Kevin Costner in 'Criminal' (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter

Gal Gadot, the actress who is playing Wonder Woman in the new Warner Bros./DC Entertainment movies, has signed on to join the robust cast of Millennium Films' thriller Criminal.

Kevin Costner, Ryan Reynolds, Gary Oldman, Alice Eve and Tommy Lee Jones have already been cast in the movie set to be directed by Ariel Vromen.

The story centers on a dead CIA operative's memories, secrets and skills, which were implanted into a dangerous prison inmate (Costner) in hopes that he will stop a diabolical plot.

Gadot will play Reynolds' wife.

Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee Jones? Gonna be hard to pass that up.

Mark Wahlberg To Star In ‘Deepwater Horizon’ Movie | Deadline

Mark Wahlberg is in talks to star in the J.C. Chandor-directed Deepwater Horizon for Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment and Participant Media. Based on the true-life story of the 2010 BP oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico which caused the worst oil spill since the Exxon Valdez, the movie is being produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Mark Vahradian. The story, adapted from The New York Times article “Deepwater Horizon’s Final Hour,” highlights the courage of those who worked on the oil rig when it blew, killing 11 and injuring 16 others.

Wahlberg will star as the No. 2 manager on the doomed oil rig in the story about what happened behind-the-scenes in the 48 hours leading up to and the day of the disaster. It revisits the acts of heroism that followed in trying to rescue men in the water, stories not known to the general public. The project is targeting a late spring/early summer start.

First Big Game Clip Featuring Samuel L. Jackson as the President

Here’s the official synopsis for Big Game:
Oskari, a timid 13-year-old, anxiously awaits his fate. Tradition dictates that like his forefathers before him, the boy’s time has come to spend one day and one night alone in the wilderness. Armed with a bow and arrow, he must return with a prize to prove himself to be a man. Terrified and alone, he wanders through a vast and unforgiving forest when suddenly he hears a deafening rumbling sound. Racing to investigate, Oskari discovers an escape pod. Not just any escape pod – this pod belongs to Air Force One and the battered and bruised man lying before him is the President of the United States! In the skies above, terrorists are hurtling their way to the crash site hell-bent on kidnapping the President. Now the fate of the most powerful man in the world lies in the hands of a 13-year-old boy. Plunged into a deadly game of cat and mouse with only hours to spare, Oskari and the President must team up to survive the most extraordinary night of their lives.

Check out what happens when Oskari insists, “Instead of looking tough, we have to be tough,” in the very first Big Game clip after the jump. The film also stars Ray Stevenson, Jim Broadbent and Felicity Huffman.

RAY STEVENSON ALERT!!!!!!

Stretch Images Featuring Patrick Wilson

Now I could give you a boiler plate synopsis for the film, or I could let Carnahan tell you about it himself. Let’s do that, shall we?
Guys. Bottom line. STRETCH is ****ing great. It’s funny. It’s touching. It’s unique and @patrickwilson73 is absolutely brilliant in it. I can talk **** & argue with that idiotic @THR story but brass tacks, that movie works & you will all be fast fans of it when you see it. I think it’s as good or better than my best film & say that from the bottom of my heart. This movie will make it to you, trust me. Guys, the movie is gonna find its audience & that audience will love it. Whether that happens now or later is irrelevant. It’s gonna happen.

Read more at Stretch Images Featuring Patrick Wilson

Really like Carnahan, well...A-Team aside, and I am dying to see this.

You Can Finally See Joe Carnahan's 'Stretch' Next Month

This is both good and bad news. It’s great because we won’t have to wait much longer to see the film, but it’s a pity we may not see it on the big screen. This seems like the kind of movie you’d want to experience in a packed theater with people losing their minds around you. Maybe Stretch will get some kind of limited run, but unless you’re at Fantastic Fest, which is likely where it’ll premiere, you’ll probably have to watch it in your living room.

On the bright side, after some negative buzz created by Universal dropping the film, Stretch will finally have the chance to speak for itself.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

TIFF Review: Dan Gilroy’s ‘Nightcrawler’ Starring Jake Gyllenhaal & Rene Russo | ThePlaylist

Marginalized and having gone hungry for what feels like a lifetime, a ravaged economic disparity pulses through the crisp air of “Nightcrawler.” Luminescent with coyote-like eyes, Gyllenhaal’s like a hollowed out animal that spends nights hunting for marginal scraps to keep himself alive. But what separates the feral Bloom from all the night-time loners and losers in this particular wilderness is unremitting drive and unhealthy obsessiveness, It’s as if going hungry for so long has created an intensely sharp mind that just won’t quiet. And the inability to switch off is toxic. [A-]

TIFF Review: Antoine Fuqua’s ‘The Equalizer’ Starring Denzel Washington, Chloe Grace Moretz & Marton Csokas

In case you’ve been awed by its concluding set piece in a hardware superstore (gruesome power tool deaths!) “The Equalizer” cannot resist the temptation to remind you how prosaic its story is with a needless little coda that ties up all its ribbons sentimentally. Still, low expectations may permit you to enjoy this picture, especially if all you seek is to numb yourself at the movies. "The Equalizer" might be the most enjoyable bad movie I've seen in a long time. [C]

I'm a lot less enthused for this film now that I know Fuqua directed it.

THE EQUALIZER Review

And if you’re patient, oh the fury you will get. For the majority of its runtime, The Equalizer is street-level. It’s dealing with corrupt cops and armed robbers. Once he decides to help Teri, the “Equalizer” is unleashed (no one ever calls him that, but it’s a fun name), and it’s not just about the big takedown. But when the big takedown does come, it’s unlike anything that came before (I won’t spoil what happens). It would be jarring if it weren’t so damn enjoyable. The climax is the ideal of a gritty, hard-R action flick.

The Equalizer scored some of the highest test-screening results in Sony’s history, and while those test-screenings aren’t a metric of quality, they’re spot on when it comes to the movie being a true crowd-pleaser. It’s Washington at the top of his game, Fuqua finally cracking an action film from start to finish, and centering on a memorable character who knows how to solve problems big and small. It’s a bit reductive to say that this is Washington’s Taken. Yes, they both feature serious actors playing stoic action heroes, but The Equalizer has a style all its own, but while Liam’s Bryan Mills wants to play the savior, McCall can’t stop chaos. But he can deliver some thrilling retribution.

Rating: B+

Read more at THE EQUALIZER Review

Back
Top Bottom