Byfield

Did you guys watch yesterday's games? All they talked about in both and analysis after was the brutal physicality and sheer number of hits.
Made me worried for our current construction. Carolina and Boston looked like beasts.
Yes we all agree the playoffs are physical. There’s more to winning the Cup than being physical for the sake of being physical.

Yes we all agree the playoffs are physical. There’s more to winning the Cup than being physical for the sake of being physical.
I think we’re saying the same things, but I’m being more adamant about lacking size.

We don’t win either cup without skill players, and puck moving defensemen. I just think now, we’ve got too many of the former, and not enough grit.

The key to winning this series is what should now be our 3rd line. The kid has to fly through the Neutral zone, get in on their defensemen, and hit them. Constantly. Dubois has to play physical in all 3 zones, and when he’s done so, I think he’s been effective. He has to check his down regular season at the door, and dive into the playoffs as a man possessed.

They have to take the attitude that the Oilers are our bitch, and make them pay all over the ice.

It's pretty simple, the Kings have far too many midgets on the team.
As much as I love him, Lizotte going to get thrown around like a ragdoll even more.

And of course we say the playoffs are a different beast, I was just jaw dropped at what I saw right out of the gate yesterday.

Any chance the Kings can call up both Helenius and Lee from the Reign for our run? Tell these kids they want their next NHL contract, they better play like it’s their last NHL game ever. Same goes for Byfield.. someone needs to tell him that if he played that hard in game 82 for 425k, well, he’s now playing for his next contract and the difference is a 5.5 million x 2 year extension .. or an 8.5 million x 8 year extension.

The Kings were handed a gift by the hockey gods. They’ve got a 21 year old 6’ 5” 215 lbs hockey savant who skates like the wind, plays a 200’ game, is a demon along the boards, can beat any defenseman in the league 1 on 1 and is a coach’s dream. He’s built for today’s NHL. Byfield is the future of this franchise. Whoever is the next GM needs to build around him.
I really hope we see the GM (Blake of his successor) beginning to build around Byfield sooner rather than later. Move him to Center next season and line him up with a couple wings that compliment him (which likely may include trading for a winger). I am a big fan of Kopi and Doughty and will always be, but beginning next season we need to begin building around our future stars.

I understand the sentiment, and I’m definitely not singling you out but this seems like as good a spot as any to inject my perspective. If we don’t need Roy at his price point, do we also not need Gavrikov at his -higher- price point? I will confess, I have not looked at the advanced metrics between the two, but Roy has a much higher +/-, and the two are about equal in terms of offensive output. The difference is that Roy brings a physical edge, whereas Gavy brings reach, but does not play to his size, in terms of physically punishing the opposition.
You are severely undervaluing Gavrikov’s ability to control play with his stick alone. That type of talent is extremely rare today. He is truly a wizard with his stick blade and has saved innumerable goals with his ability to intercept or deflect passes and shot attempts.

You are severely undervaluing Gavrikov’s ability to control play with his stick alone. That type of talent is extremely rare today. He is truly a wizard with his stick blade and has saved innumerable goals with his ability to intercept or deflect passes and shot attempts.
Certainly not undervaluing. After all, his entire defensive ability revolves around his stick. I even stated that he brings reach.. I’m referring to his wingspan and his stick specifically. Just asking what Matt Roy’s worth is, given Gavrikovs cap hit and ability. I’d say that the LH factor does make Gavrikov slightly more valuable to us, if they were going to have an equitable cap hit.

I’ve watched the playoffs for the last 10 years, wondering the entire time why everybody keeps railing on getting more speed and skill and less worried about size.

Every year, the teams that get deeper in the playoffs are winning the corner battles, getting the greasy goals going to the net, and are wearing the other teams down over a long series.

Edmonton did that to us the last 2 years, and this year loaded up with more of that size and grit.

Not going to fault the skill guys who score, you need some of that, but the reality is that it becomes a physics problem when a guy 5’10” and 185 lbs has to outwork a 6’2” 225 guy for the puck in the corner.

There’s a reason Maroon has played over 100 playoff games the last 5 years, and it has nothing to do with skill.
Yep. Thank you Bird for being the voice of experience.

I can't believe a pairing of Spence and Clarke was even suggested above. I'm just hoping Spence can make it through an entire playoff series after getting literally KO'ed a couple years ago. And Clarke needs to get some snarl before he's ready for a 7-game series in the playoffs.

PLD really needs to change his game for the playoffs. As I've said a few times in the past, Blake should have gotten Lowry from the Jets instead of PLD if he wanted to trade with them for a center. We really needed a big 3C who could intimidate and came with a reasonable cap hit.

The Oilers dumped Yamamoto but they also lost Bjugstad and Kostin so they lost some size. And no more dirty Kassian injuring shoulders like he did 2 springs ago.

I really hope we see the GM (Blake of his successor) beginning to build around Byfield sooner rather than later. Move him to Center next season and line him up with a couple wings that compliment him (which likely may include trading for a winger). I am a big fan of Kopi and Doughty and will always be, but beginning next season we need to begin building around our future stars.
I actually think he’s already playing center in some ways with Dubois. He may not take a draw, but he’s usually the first forward back

Certainly not undervaluing. After all, his entire defensive ability revolves around his stick. I even stated that he brings reach.. I’m referring to his wingspan and his stick specifically. Just asking what Matt Roy’s worth is, given Gavrikovs cap hit and ability. I’d say that the LH factor does make Gavrikov slightly more valuable to us, if they were going to have an equitable cap hit.
The only Kings defenseman who has any “punish” in his game is Anderson - using his hip check. Roy doesn’t play to his size either.

The league wanted higher scoring games and that’s what they got. Now you can either adapt or you can sit back and complain while your team gets bounced by the Oilers 3 years in a row.

I’m imploring Blake or whoever the next GM is to adapt.

IMO the league wants high scoring games in regular season especially to attract the masses to be able to raise ticket prices during RS (diehard culture is in forced decline as diehards - rightfully - demand cheaper tickets in return for their loyalty to the club) and increase streaming revenue, while giving the fans the same ol' playoff wreckfest to keep things interesting and intense when it counts the most. This does, however, make building Cup winning teams a bit more challenging...

Now they need to find a way to prevent teams exploiting cap rules like VGK did. They got their "forced" Cup win, now the league should do something about this...

The NHL is much different than 2012… rules have really changed to stop the physicality the 2012 Kings brought to the table. But you make it sound like bringing these 2024 playoff teams back to 2012 would be some mismatch. The Kings would do just fine. Their style was great because they had the personnel to make it great. You sound like one of those folks who always think in terms of CEIB (current era is best) and I’ve never fallen into that concept.
2012 team would stifle 2024 kings team, the way Dallas did to us all year.

IMO the league wants high scoring games in regular season especially to attract the masses to be able to raise ticket prices during RS (diehard culture is in forced decline as diehards - rightfully - demand cheaper tickets in return for their loyalty to the club) and increase streaming revenue, while giving the fans the same ol' playoff wreckfest to keep things interesting and intense when it counts the most. This does, however, make building Cup winning teams a bit more challenging...

Now they need to find a way to prevent teams exploiting cap rules like VGK did. They got their "forced" Cup win, now the league should do something about this...
NHL set an attendance record this season (97% capacity) and the early returns on the Playoffs say viewership is at its highest level since 2016. Sounds like they might be onto something.

If I had frivolous amounts of money, I would sue them.

Maybe we should file a class action suit?

Back
Top Bottom