Byfield

I did think of Marcel (amazing, amazing player)--but we were never a serious Cup contender during that span from what I recall. We need some of both.
Some of both is nice, but the assumption that superstar players are also winners is a relatively recent concept. Bo Jackson never won squat in the pro's, but would anyone say he wasn't a superstar stud? Justin Williams is a hell of a winning player, but he is not and never would be confused with a superstar.

QB with 3 points and a +5 through 2 games. Feels like a goal or two is coming…
I just purchased a blank road sweater and is it bad that I'm waiting to see if the Kings sign QB before I have it personalized with his name/number because I'm afraid the Kings will somehow mess it up

Some of both is nice, but the assumption that superstar players are also winners is a relatively recent concept. Bo Jackson never won squat in the pro's, but would anyone say he wasn't a superstar stud? Justin Williams is a hell of a winning player, but he is not and never would be confused with a superstar.
Being relatively new, Marcel doesn’t count towards my point in that case, I guess. Most stars putting up huge numbers as of late seem to be on highly competitive teams. The NHL is different than some other sports in the sense that a player isn’t scoring 50 plus goals without SOME level of help these days. A running back can rack up a ton of yards and have a crappy defense on the other side of the ball (to the Bo example). A guy can hit 50+ homers with no other offensive help and suspect pitching. And a guy who doesn’t give up the ball can rack up points on a ton of shots and have a team going nowhere.

Yes, goaltending and defense can be a problem, but top scorers/stat getters have more help in the NHL setting. So, to have an elite scorer means he brings other with him and they help a good deal, making for a dangerous team in theory.

And there are always exceptions. But hey, Go Kings Go at the end of the day.

I just purchased a blank road sweater and is it bad that I'm waiting to see if the Kings sign QB before I have it personalized with his name/number because I'm afraid the Kings will somehow mess it up
Don’t be a chicken. Put your money where your mouth is.

Bo is arguably the best 2 sports star prior to his injury.

Don’t be a chicken. Put your money where your mouth is.
I've got 65 Kings jerseys...I've put more than my fair share of money where my mouth is. My daughter has gotten burned on her last couple of jerseys (Kings and Steelers)....i'm fine being patient

Until we dealt Goring, we had a shot in 1980
I don't really agree with that but of the Kings' teams that did not get far in the playoffs I'd rate 1975 and 1991 as the teams with the best shot going in. One team had a star and other didn't.

As to teams needing a star to win: what comes first the "star" or does the great team create "stars"?

jom

Back
Top Bottom