Coyotes in "advanced discussions" with ASU to use their arena for 3-4 years

What an absolute mess! Playing in a 5,000 seat area for 3-4 years?! It would be like the Kings playing in the Long Beach arena again. I wonder why the Phoenix Suns' arena (used to be America West Arena, not sure what it's called now) would not work? The Coyotes used to play there, and it's much bigger (though it is not well-suited for hockey).

What an absolute mess! Playing in a 5,000 seat area for 3-4 years?! It would be like the Kings playing in the Long Beach arena again. I wonder why the Phoenix Suns' arena (used to be America West Arena, not sure what it's called now) would not work? The Coyotes used to play there, and it's much bigger (though it is not well-suited for hockey).

I thought they'd gotten rid of their chiller and can't make ice there anymore.

On the radio Freidman says nhl capacity will be closer 3,200

I thought they'd gotten rid of their chiller and can't make ice there anymore.

That makes sense why that arena would not be an option. To me, if they could make ice there, it would be the best option available. The crazy thing is they've only been in Glendale since the end of 2003, barely 20 years.

https://theathletic.com/3096608/202...ona-coyotes-plan-to-play-at-university-arena/

“Just a nightmare all around,” one executive said of the proposal, which comes at a time when financial matters have been in the spotlight for the league as it deals with the effects of shortened seasons and lost attendance caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Multiple executives called the plan “embarrassing.”

Some executives, however, noted that a smaller venue likely wouldn’t put the Coyotes in a much worse spot than they are currently in when it comes to actual ticket sales.
Team executives have access to the league-wide ticket distribution, which offers a more realistic look at attendance than the publicly available numbers. This reporting reveals the number of paid tickets vs. the number of tickets distributed, which is how teams often report attendance for public consumption and as a data point to sell to sponsors.
Multiple executives who look at this report said a high percentage of the Coyotes’ tally is represented by unpaid or comp tickets. The Coyotes declined to comment on ticket distribution.

In other news: Bettman approves drumming fanclubs and relegation.

ASU students can be given college credit for attending Coyotes games. Might be harder to endure than a Statistics class. mhihi: ;)

Moving the team from Winnipeg to Arizona was always a real bad decision.

The flawed logic was always based on "potential" revenue...."potential" number of fans....."potential".....
There was never a desire from the locals for hockey in the desert.

It's been over 25 years, and they still can't make $ or have a significant fan following.
They've been negative in operating income for forever.

Time to end the club.

I heard them talk about this on the 32 Thoughts podcast. What a s#!+show. Is there still revenue sharing in the NHL? And isn’t player escrow tied to league revenue? So how is that team going to make any money with only 5000 or 3200 seats? Not by raising ticket prices since they can’t sell them at current prices. They said on the podcast that there was some provision in the CBA that said there had to be a standard for visiting locker rooms & weight facilities and that it might be something the players or union could use to fight this move. But no matter what they should raise objections to this because it’s a joke.

The Board of Regents approved the plan. Looks like an NHL team in a 5,000 (more like 3,000 apparently) arena looks to be a go. Gonna be pretty unique. This might be worth a road trip...

I am gonna take the Coyotes story as feel good. It can remind us of when we were teenagers and got admitted to a college we applied to. mhihi: :cheers:

I wanna know how he keeps his gaming license when they are operating on a college campus....

The NHL having/allowing a franchise in a 3k or 5k seat arena is bush league level.

I will go work in Phoenix when the Kings are in town. Small intimate setting, almost like Shania sitting and singing next to me, many years ago.

The NHL having/allowing a franchise in a 3k or 5k seat arena is bush league level.

I can't believe an arena with about 3,500 seats (for NHL games) for three years is considered a viable solution. There's not even a guarantee that a new arena will be done by the end of that.

They should play in Tucson at the Road Runners AHL arena.

Back
Top Bottom