***DSLR/Photography MegaThread***

Hey! This Canon Schit is funking up my Nikon thread...;)

Dont tell Deeker about this thread. Apparently any moran can take pictures.

Be careful with the rental lenses. You may not get what you expect!

Think "rental skates at the ice rink".

FBJ, Do you use a Speedlight? I think I'm going to pick up a SB-800AF. The flash that I bought in 1993 for my 5005 just craped out on me.

I cant belive how much a frigg'n flash goes for nowadays.

I've got the SB-800 and it's a great flash.

So I rented the big-bad mama-jama Nikon 80-400 VR from ziplens.com for my trip to Vero Beach this week. This lens is SOOO ****ING BADASS! The only downside to it is that it weighs about five pounds. It's definitely a monopod-required deal. Or just make sure your left arm is buffed up before you grab one.

I also made the mistake (?) of heading into my local Hooper Camera this morning to buy a new bag and some cleaning stuff. While I was there, I grabbed a Nikon D200 body and attached it to that lens. They let me step outside to take some pics with it and I was so impressed with the ability of that camera that I bought it. It is SOOOOO MUCH FASTER than my D100!!! I'm able to take continuous shots without running out of memory buffer as fast as FIVE FRAMES PER SECOND!!!

Of course, I must now sell my D100. Any takers?

Last edited:
Why'd you go and do that? You still have to send the lens back.

Here are some pics I took this morning of some fauna around the house.
All shots are @400mm and in AF w/M Priorty. Anyone who shoots birds knows its almost impossible to go 100% manual. These things move quickly. Enjoy

RedHeadFlicker.jpg

Red Head Flicker

flicker1.jpg

Same Flicker

pileatedwoodpecker1.jpg

Pileated Woodpecker (pain in the ass to shoot)

DowneyWoodPecker.jpg

Downey Woodpecker

...and before anyone else says it, I know, it's a lot of Peckers. :)

Hey Nocturn...

Check out some of the pics I put up from Vero Beach, FL. They're in the Dodger's Spring Training thread in Sports Bar.

Well, my D100 didn't sit on Ebay for 24 hours before someone purchased it. I gave the person a pretty good deal ($450 for the body and battery-pack with some extras), but I'm glad I sold it so quickly. I'll be shipping it off to Boulder, CO today!

That's awesome.

I just went and picked up the multi battery base grip for the D80. Makes a hella difference in weight and simple gripping. The new Digital SLR's are too small for larger hands like mine. I always had the feeling I was going to drop the damn thing especially when I had the big glass on.

Also picked up a nice Giotto monopod for quick fauna shooting stability.

Some time in the next 2 weeks I'm going to have my wife buy me the 60mm Macro Nikkor for my b-day. What a nice wife she will be...:)

I shot off some more bird action last eve. I'll post them in a bit.

MaleBlueBird.jpg

Male Eastern Blue Bird
MaleBlueBird2.jpg

Same Blue Bird, different pose.
femalebluebird.jpg

Female Eastern Blue Bird. The above male's mate.
miscfinch.jpg

Eastern Phoebe
miscfinch2.jpg

same Eastern Phoebe
miscsparrow.jpg

Song Sparrow in mid song.

Last edited:
So like the retard I am, I managed to drop my EF 24-70 f/2.8L the other day onto a carpeted hardwood floor. It landed just wrong, and I managed to bend the rear mount 0.02" out of plane, so just enough not to mount. I drove it down to Irvine today (1.5 hr from Burbank), flat repair rate of $156.00, and they had it on the bench within the hour (back probably tomorrow). They offered to clean my 5D for free to boot.

Just thought that perhaps someone else here might be as retarded as I am one day and would like to know how much a lens gravity test costs.

Repairing any kind of camera equipment isn't cheap. I had a set of AA batteries that were less than two weeks old blow up inside my flash last year just before Thanksgiving. Four weeks and $180 later I had my flash back. I guess that's still 1/4 of the cost of a new speedlight, though.

Note to self: DO NOT EVER USE COSTCO KIRKLAND BRAND BATTERIES AGAIN.

Back
Top Bottom