Edibles?

Dr. Tran

Top Forward
Can we talk about those? They?re legal in California & other states after all. Has anyone tried them? What?s your opinion on them?

Also, has anyone tried making homemade edibles, like brownies or something? Was it successful or not? Anyone want to post their recipes? I?ve been reading some things about making homemade edibles & there were 2 main points. First was you can?t just add some weed to a brownie recipe. You have to heat it up to 180F & you have to infuse it into oil or butter. Second, when you?re cooking with the infused oil, you can?t go above 350F or it will degrade.

One way to infuse butter is to seal butter & weed in plastic & then either sous vide it for 1-2 hours or cook it with water in a crock pot on low for 4 hours. They also have special machines you can buy. For infusing oils, it?s the same principle of making garlic or chili oil. You just put oil & weed in a small pot & cook on very low heat for 1-2 hours until the temperature reaches 180F. Then you let it cool down. But the hardest part is to control dosing. You have to know what your tolerance is & how much is going into each recipe.

Any thoughts?

Tran: Not an expert but there is a ton of information out there, go to any dispensary and your bud tender will be more than happy to walk you through your specific needs. Personally, prefer edibles because i'm an active person, so the whole smoking plus cardio do not mix. Have had a positive experience thus far but am totally a low dose stress relief kind of user. I have poor coping techniques so edibles help me let go of the trivial things and reboot from a happier place. Personally, not looking for a let's get weird with it and see what happens kind of experience (no judgment) which you can absolutely do and have so much fun. =)

Recommendation: Kushy Punch gummies or Kiva Confections (mmmm dark chocolate).

Baking is a different animal & there is a science to it, which you seem to be aware of. So, if that is how you like to have fun/ challenge yourself , go for it. Sounds like purchasing the cooking oil would be the safest and the most efficient product for a beginner like yourself.

Good luck, stay safe, have fun.

Edibles are much better post legalization. Very measured. Kiva bars are a solid choice. But they arent good for surreptitious outside consumption. Cheeba Chews or PLUS gummy chews(comes in a dandy little tin.
Nice tips for the infused butter, thanks.

I prefer the dark choc covered blueberries from Terra. 5mg per piece. if I feel like it, I pop a couple and watch a movie or three.

there used to be a brownie from TKO that was 200mg heavy. boy, ya gotta slice lines across the top to try and figure out how many mg to mete out before cutting them up. now, thanks to the d̶u̶m̶b̶a̶s̶s̶ uninformed voters, those are hard to find.

Can we talk about those? They?re legal in California & other states after all. Has anyone tried them? What?s your opinion on them?

Also, has anyone tried making homemade edibles, like brownies or something? Was it successful or not? Anyone want to post their recipes? I?ve been reading some things about making homemade edibles & there were 2 main points. First was you can?t just add some weed to a brownie recipe. You have to heat it up to 180F & you have to infuse it into oil or butter. Second, when you?re cooking with the infused oil, you can?t go above 350F or it will degrade.
wife n I tried baking brownies with storebought cannabutter a few years back. we may certainly have set the oven higher than 350 because the brownies did not become magical at all.

One way to infuse butter is to seal butter & weed in plastic & then either sous vide it for 1-2 hours or cook it with water in a crock pot on low for 4 hours. They also have special machines you can buy. For infusing oils, it?s the same principle of making garlic or chili oil. You just put oil & weed in a small pot & cook on very low heat for 1-2 hours until the temperature reaches 180F. Then you let it cool down. But the hardest part is to control dosing. You have to know what your tolerance is & how much is going into each recipe.

Any thoughts?
seconded the thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
So finally I made canna-butter & canna-oil. I did the oil a while back but I was still figuring out the dosage so it wasn't as effective. But the butter, which I just did a few days ago, turned out great. One thing I sort of mentioned in the 1st post but didn't specify was something called decarboxylation. That's the process of heating up the weed slowly so that the THCA turns into THC. With the oil I just heated it slowly on the stove in 1 cup of oil. Then I made a few batches of box brownies. With the butter I 1st decarbed it on a sheet pan in the oven. Then I infused it with butter in a crock pot for 4 hours. And with this I made chocolate buttercream frosting & put it on a cake.

For me the hardest part was figuring out the correct dosage. I don't want to be a zombie. I just want to relax. And with edibles it takes longer for the effects to kick in. Smoking is more immediate but I hate inhaling smoke & I can't roll for the life of me. And I've never vaped before & I don't know if I ever will. So edibles work best for me. My favorite is brownie bites from EXPL. I also like chocolate bars from Bhang. I got them from diferent dispensaries in Perris. There are a ton of them in that town. They're also where I get my CBD cream for my painful knees.

Personal favs are the Kiva mints that come in 2.5mg doses. I can micro dose all day long with those. I usually eat one around 9:30 am and then top up around 2 pm. I don't get "high" per se, but I do get the benefits of no stress and great focus.

If I'm looking to get nice and mellow I'll then eat 1-2 more (depending on how much food I've eaten that day) around 4:30-5 pm and I'm good for the night. Added bonus is the sleep aid I get. Kiva also makes some outstanding gummies and those are my go to to get high if that's what I want to do. Great to eat a couple of hours before going to see a band play or something like that.

I also really enjoy the Pete's line of cookies. 10mg each. I'll eat one of those if I'm looking to get a nice high, but still be very functional and aware. Great body high, pretty good head high. Mild bit of the psychedelic kicks in for me with these and if that's what I'm aiming for, these are the ticket.

Hey. I was wondering. Why leave it to edibles. Let's open it up to the All Things:Cannabis thread.

I know, in the past few years I have come across many strains I liked. Would be nice to share and compare.

Found, through lots of experimentation, I like Indicas. For the uninitiated, those are strains that mellow you the eff out.
Well, one of my local haunts, Zen Dispensary, had (Mike) Tyson Farms, The Toad. At 36% thc, I had to test.
It's pretty damned nice. Smells a little gassy, but not in a bad way. But it packs a nice body high/couch lock.
Not for beginners.

Hey. I was wondering. Why leave it to edibles. Let's open it up to the All Things:Cannabis thread.

I know, in the past few years I have come across many strains I liked. Would be nice to share and compare.

Found, through lots of experimentation, I like Indicas. For the uninitiated, those are strains that mellow you the eff out.
Well, one of my local haunts, Zen Dispensary, had (Mike) Tyson Farms, The Toad. At 36% thc, I had to test.
It's pretty damned nice. Smells a little gassy, but not in a bad way. But it packs a nice body high/couch lock.
Not for beginners.

Id like to try the Toad!

Thanks for the tips on edibles. My wife and I have been flower people forever, but as we get older, we are more attracted to edibles. Appreciate the info!

Went from hardcore smoker of almost two decades to vaper of dry bud not long ago. Love it. Lungs feel much better. Don't really even enjoy smoking it anymore. I NEVER thought that would happen.

I don't know how you do it. Weed always made me a lot less sharp. Last year I tried using it to help me sleep; I noticed that within a few months it was taking more to make an impact, and I was having a hard time keeping up at work. A week or two after quitting I felt like I was back on my game, and I don't miss it a bit. Maybe it's just me, but I can't handle the fogginess that comes with it.

I've never smoked weed, but if I ever do, at least, I already have the record collection, haha. :banasmoke:

I don't know how you do it. Weed always made me a lot less sharp. Last year I tried using it to help me sleep; I noticed that within a few months it was taking more to make an impact, and I was having a hard time keeping up at work. A week or two after quitting I felt like I was back on my game, and I don't miss it a bit. Maybe it's just me, but I can't handle the fogginess that comes with it.

Wow. Not proud of this, but that's exactly why I smoke. I'm too anxious/ irritable /empathic/psychotic...
I like the fact that I can turn the noise down.

Wow. Not proud of this, but that's exactly why I smoke. I'm too anxious/ irritable /empathic/psychotic...
I like the fact that I can turn the noise down.

If it was just turning the noise down when I was smoking at night, I might still be doing it. I actually started to enjoy the high (perhaps more than I was comfortable with). It was during the days that the fog got to me. I was also a bit of a prick (some may say more of a prick) for a week or so after quitting. Personally, considering I have a propensity to like it a little too much, I'm content to avoid it. It's weird that I don't have that same propensity with alcohol. I will say that my experience has made me a little less judgy on the subject.

I had a weird thing happen to me about ten years ago where a switch just got flipped in my brain and weed just stopped taking the edge off and started having the opposite effect - made me anxious and paranoid. Not fun. Now I use booze for the same thing, and I'd much rather use weed. I was thinking of maybe trying some low dose edibles at some point.

I had a weird thing happen to me about ten years ago where a switch just got flipped in my brain and weed just stopped taking the edge off and started having the opposite effect - made me anxious and paranoid. Not fun. Now I use booze for the same thing, and I'd much rather use weed. I was thinking of maybe trying some low dose edibles at some point.

Indicas. Trying to get Kingsqueen on board same way.

Back
Top Bottom