Kempe, RFA

Play GMRB

• Total voters
It's worth noting that not only has he blossomed into our most dangerous goal scorer, but the energy he was expending backchecking and playing defense was as much a part of the recent wins as his offense.

He's truly playing with the confidence of someone that has embraced his role, which is notable after all the seasons of moving him all over the lineup and changing positions.

The speed has really become part of his game realizing when he can break up plays defensively and get open by sheer force of will. I think he's here to stay.

It's worth noting that not only has he blossomed into our most dangerous goal scorer, but the energy he was expending backchecking and playing defense was as much a part of the recent wins as his offense.

He's truly playing with the confidence of someone that has embraced his role, which is notable after all the seasons of moving him all over the lineup and changing positions.

The speed has really become part of his game realizing when he can break up plays defensively and get open by sheer force of will. I think he's here to stay.

Kings marketing department seems to be replacing Kopitar with Kempe as the new face of the team. With his cover-of-GQ appearance, can you blame them?

At this point, it would take a true blockbuster deal for Kempe to be included in any trade package.

I am convinced VCRW is Kempe's publicity manager but yes, Kempe is starting to go full beast mode and reninds me very much of prime time Kopi.

I don't mind him being here to stay at all, I just want him to do it on a series of three year contracts

Kings marketing department seems to be replacing Kopitar with Kempe as the new face of the team. With his cover-of-GQ appearance, can you blame them?

At this point, it would take a true blockbuster deal for Kempe to be included in any trade package.

Eichel for Kempe straight up, your move mcphee.

This guy has been my whipping boy for the last two years, so not really on the same page as the face of franchise guy (btw has attractiveness ever been a selling point in hockey, even in los angeles?) but not going to poo-poo the fact that he's a reason our goal differential is in the positive this year.

Btw check out montreal's numbers (-80) in a year of an expansion team (-50) after a cup run, whoa.

Man this is totally what I love about LGK. The Kings FINALLY have a high draft pick who has developed (not talking 2012 - 2014 rosters) and since we all hated on him before we want to dump him now because he hasn't proven anything. Wow.

Kempe has developed into a legitimate 1st line winger. Is there risk with a new deal of 3+ years at decent $$? Yes but it is the same with any player who gets a new deal. It is time to ride with Kempe as he is a home-grown talent who finally figured out the NHL game and (hopefully) has his best years ahead of him.

Give Blake, Mac and company some credit here - their development process worked with this player. There are 31 NHL clubs that would gladly take Kempe off the Kings hands if all it takes is a pick and a new contract for Kempe.

:frusty:

Eichel for Kempe straight up, your move mcphee.

This guy has been my whipping boy for the last two years, so not really on the same page as the face of franchise guy (btw has attractiveness ever been a selling point in hockey, even in los angeles?) but not going to poo-poo the fact that he's a reason our goal differential is in the positive this year.

Btw check out montreal's numbers (-80) in a year of an expansion team (-50) after a cup run, whoa.

C'mon... we all know Gustl is the real face of the franchise!

But have you seen the LGK facebook page recently? Rinkrat has quite the gallery going of #9.:ele3::ele3:

I am convinced VCRW is Kempe's publicity manager but yes, Kempe is starting to go full beast mode and reninds me very much of prime time Kopi.

Everyone saw so much raw talent in Kempe when he first joined the Monarchs and acquired the nickname "Juice". Many thought he would soon make the big club the following year.

But we all know the story. He was never able to consistently put everything together at the AHL level until his final season. Then he gets called up and plays annoyingly hot and cold in the NHL too.

Frustrating was always the best word to describe him. Lots of fans wanted to give up on him. But I held onto the belief that those flirtations with greatness would start to happen more often. I mean... many of the goals, the passes and the skating ability reflected the attributes of a seriously good player. We all have our projects... and just when I would give up on the guy, he would do something jaw-dropping.

Mondo would often oppose my support of Kempe. He saw the talent level too, but doubted that Juice would ever really get it. "He'll skate thru a whole team and then lose the puck in a corner..."

So... my enthusiastic support is an expression of immense relief more than anything else. "Finally!" would be the best verbalization. But some of my support is based on incredulity at the suggestion of trading a goal-scorer off a team that can only dream about averaging 3 goals/game.

To his credit, Kempe has obviously put in the work to play a complete game. Since the middle of last season, he has rewarded those who believed in him.

It's a good story of perserverance. Kings have many late bloomers on the roster. Hope Kempe remains a major part of the team for the foreseeable future.

I still think he's good trade bait. Contract year, explosion in production, too much risk of turning back into a pumpkin for me. Let someone else risk $6 million for 5+ years.

It would take a GM with balls to deal him now, though. The backlash on these forums alone will be immense.

So, let's say you trade him. Where does the offense (that has been anemic for way too many years) come from?

C'mon... we all know Gustl is the real face of the franchise!

But have you seen the LGK facebook page recently? Rinkrat has quite the gallery going of #9.:ele3::ele3:

Hmm. Okay, noted. I don't have any social media accounts, so...i'll take your word on the pics. Side note: not fond of blondes, Kempe is really fighting an uphill battle for my approval. Heh. He doesn't need it.
Do your thing Adrian. Eff the haters.

Everyone saw so much raw talent in Kempe when he first joined the Monarchs and acquired the nickname "Juice". Many thought he would soon make the big club the following year.

But we all know the story. He was never able to consistently put everything together at the AHL level until his final season. Then he gets called up and plays annoyingly hot and cold in the NHL too.

Frustrating was always the best word to describe him. Lots of fans wanted to give up on him. But I held onto the belief that those flirtations with greatness would start to happen more often. I mean... many of the goals, the passes and the skating ability reflected the attributes of a seriously good player. We all have our projects... and just when I would give up on the guy, he would do something jaw-dropping.

Mondo would often oppose my support of Kempe. He saw the talent level too, but doubted that Juice would ever really get it. "He'll skate thru a whole team and then lose the puck in a corner..."

So... my enthusiastic support is an expression of immense relief more than anything else. "Finally!" would be the best verbalization. But some of my support is based on incredulity at the suggestion of trading a goal-scorer off a team that can only dream about averaging 3 goals/game.

To his credit, Kempe has obviously put in the work to play a complete game. Since the middle of last season, he has rewarded those who believed in him.

It's a good story of perserverance. Kings have many late bloomers on the roster. Hope Kempe remains a major part of the team for the foreseeable future.

Great post and highlights a few things I love about hockey.

Still shooting 16.5%, 50% above career (11.5%)
Career year as a pending RFA, finally playing on a top line with a premier #1C .
Possibly the most common recipe for over-payment.
(Ufa hot playoff run probably 1st)
He's never been more valuable, and more likely to regress. At 25, no bargain contract years coming up.

Now, If he will sign the Iafallo contract, by all means. Somehow I don't think he will.
What are the latest rumors on his signing before the end of the season?

Last edited:
Career year as a pending UFA, finally playing on a top line with a premier #1C .
He's never been more valuable, and more likely to regress. At 25, no bargain contract years coming up.

Now, If he will sign the Iafallo contract, by all means. Somehow I don't think he will.
I have a strong suspicion that you're right in terms of this likely being his best-ever year in terms of production. The majority of NHL forwards peak by age 24-25. That said, I still think he'll be a very good, productive player for at least 3-4 years. So will they overpay for his future production? Almost certainly. That said, you still have to sign him. I'd love to see a 3-year deal, but I don't think that's very likely.

I have a strong suspicion that you're right in terms of this likely being his best-ever year in terms of production. The majority of NHL forwards peak by age 24-25. That said, I still think he'll be a very good, productive player for at least 3-4 years. So will they overpay for his future production? Almost certainly. That said, you still have to sign him. I'd love to see a 3-year deal, but I don't think that's very likely.

counter point: all-star stats (TOI 4:44 0 SOG -3), suck it Kempe.

Career year as a pending RFA, finally playing on a top line with a premier [URL=https://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1C]#1C [/URL] .

So if you're the GM, what are you willing to sign him for? $5M x 5? $6 x 6? Or really just $4M x 4?

Keep in mind that when Iafallo signed his deal he was 27 and had scored 9, 15, 17, and 13 goals while playing with the same premier #1C .

Kempe will be 26 at the start of next season and has scored 16, 12, 11, 14, and 23 (so far) goals. I can see the concern about not wanting to sign him to a HUGE contract, but $4M x 4 is way too low for a guy who has shown he can score goals...and is the only forward on the team like that.

It might be but I don't think so. IMO, he looks like the type of player for whom things have finally clicked and he'll be at about this level for several years. I wouldn't sign him to RNH ($6M x 8) money but Toffoli ($4.25M x 4) and Saad ($4.5M x 5) seem like the floor, and Schwartz ($5.5 x 5) might be about right because Toffoli and Saad both signed during extreme uncertaintly about league revenues and during one of the only buyers markets ever in the NHL.

Kempe will be 26 at the start of next season and has scored 16, 12, 11, 14, and 23 (so far) goals.

Some people completely disregard that he scored 14 goals last season putting him on pace for 20 over 82. Added 15 assists and demonstrated decent two way play. And that was with him playing on different lines.

Regarding shot percentage, it wasn’t 16.5 before the last two games. It will go down again and he can still easily net 30. I mean, there’s 30 games left.

I believe there’s a dividing line between those who see this season as a reasonable progression of a player and one that’s an anomaly. Honestly, I think the second take is more emotional than rational.

It might be but I don't think so. IMO, he looks like the type of player for whom things have finally clicked and he'll be at about this level for several years. I wouldn't sign him to RNH ($6M x 8) money but Toffoli ($4.25M x 4) and Saad ($4.5M x 5) seem like the floor, and Schwartz ($5.5 x 5) might be about right because Toffoli and Saad both signed during extreme uncertaintly about league revenues and during one of the only buyers markets ever in the NHL.
I certainly hope that you're right and he's just a late bloomer. I'm expecting a 5-year deal in the $5-6M range. I'd prefer they give him a bit more money on a five-year deal than sign him for six.

Is this the commonly held belief?

At $2M he's a cheap wing who can score 15-15-30, with good possession metrics. At age 25, he's probably reached full potential.
To me, he's trade bait.
If re-signed, I'm not going over 2 years, $3M/per.

I'm not in the Kempe business long term.

The number is going to start with a 5, and that should buy 1 year of UFA.

Back
Top Bottom