***LA Kings @ Edmonton Oilers GDT 3/28/24 6:00pm on BSW***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it so hard to believe how low scoring this team is. 36 year old Anze Kopitar is back on top of the team lead in points with 64 (24g 40a) in 72 games.

Kings are very likely to have zero 30 goal scores. The league leader on the team has just 10 PP goals (Fiala).

I understand that the teams identity is defense but it’s a fools errand to think a team with this anemic offense can beat any team 4 games out of 7 when they feature an above average to elite offense.
I can’t believe that our scoring is so low. Meanwhile MacKinnon, McDavid, & Kucherov all have over 120 points. Then Panarin & Pastrnak have over 100 points. And 5 other guys could hit 100 before the season’s over. That’s unbelievable.

I can’t believe that our scoring is so low. Meanwhile MacKinnon, McDavid, & Kucherov all have over 120 points. Then Panarin & Pastrnak have over 100 points. And 5 other guys could hit 100 before the season’s over. That’s unbelievable.
Not sure of your point. In the west neither Nash, Vegas, Winnipeg, Dallas have 100 point players and Vancouvers Miller has a chance. Does a team need a 100 point player to compete? You saying the East is better than the West? Trying to understand other than simple scoring stats.

Yep, his hands were tied AND I think there was a certain level of confidence that they would play better once guys came back from injury.
Ummm…yeah. And guess what? That’s exactly what happened. They were on a 4 game streak before Edmonton and playing damn well against great teams. Now I had just made a comment earlier that they seem to have the ‘yips’ against Edmonton in particular and I stand by that…but jeez people. It’s one game on a tough trip against an arch-rival with two of the best players in the world. The Kings have very recently gotten key injured players back on the roster. The goaltending is not THE problem for once. They are adjusting to a change in leadership pretty damn well I think and the team I saw against Vancouver 4 whole nights ago is a team that can win a playoff series. What’s up with all the ‘sky is falling’ crap after a single poor showing against a squad they pasted once already and got a point from the other time? Ya’ll need a Xanax and stiff Martini. It’s such a hair-trigger around here sometimes. And stop personalizing other peoples opinions. No one is a ‘dick’. We care a lot and we talk about it. The end. Get the point.

Last edited:
Not sure of your point. In the west neither Nash, Vegas, Winnipeg, Dallas have 100 point players and Vancouvers Miller has a chance. Does a team need a 100 point player to compete? You saying the East is better than the West? Trying to understand other than simple scoring stats.
I’m saying that our top point producer is half of what the league leaders are. That’s a lot.

I really do not appreciate getting attacked for an opinion of where I think this team should improve if I don't have the solution. I have a job already and it's not on Rob Blake's staff. So if you're of the opinion that I should STFU if I don't have the answer to a roster problem, kindly do not engage with me.

What’s interesting to me is that there’s a pretty clear division of teams who have player(s) who produce at an elite/PPG level and those who don’t.

It basically aligns with playoff vs non-playoff teams. Except for the Kings. Kings high scorers are on par with teams like Detroit and Calgary. Hell even Arizona has a player with more points than Kopi. It just goes to show just how difficult it is to compete without at least one high powered line. The Kings have two 2nd lines, production wise.

I really do not appreciate getting attacked for an opinion of where I think this team should improve if I don't have the solution. I have a job already and it's not on Rob Blake's staff. So if you're of the opinion that I should STFU if I don't have the answer to a roster problem, kindly do not engage with me.

Okay, but only because you said 'kindly'. :awesome:

What’s interesting to me is that there’s a pretty clear division of teams who have player(s) who produce at an elite/PPG level and those who don’t.

It basically aligns with playoff vs non-playoff teams. Except for the Kings. Kings high scorers are on par with teams like Detroit and Calgary. Hell even Arizona has a player with more points than Kopi. It just goes to show just how difficult it is to compete without at least one high powered line. The Kings have two 2nd lines, production wise.
It is not just the top line on some of these teams. The Stars top points leaders align pretty well with the Kings. Robertson tops the list at 76 points, but 2nd thru 5th are pretty similar. It is when you you get out of the top 5 that some other teams have a big advantage. The 10th place player in points on the Stars has basically 2x more points than the 10th place player on the Kings.

Other teams like the Oilers who have top end scorers also beat out the Kings in the top 10 players list. Though, there is a much smaller advantage for the Oilers at the 10th place spot.

If the Kings cannot get a forecheck going they often struggle. The Kings lack skill on the backend, especially on the left side to move/carry the puck out of the d-zone. So, when the middle of the ice is clogged up, the Kings do not fare to well. Also, when things get physical the Kings struggle as they often are forced to move the puck quickly and make mistakes. They do not do this to other teams, they have no real counter move to this. They lack the size and toughness on the wings to punish the other team. They lack the speed and agility at the LHd position to help get the puck up the ice cleanly. The forwards are often up the ice looking for a pass, but the LHD often cannot get it there quickly enough. Then the LHD lacks the ability to skate the puck up ice themselves. Even if it is just to the blue line to dump the puck in.

I do not get to see the Kings live much anymore. So, these opinions are trying to read the game while watching on TV. You miss a lot when you are not watching the game live.

It is not just the top line on some of these teams. The Stars top points leaders align pretty well with the Kings. Robertson tops the list at 76 points, but 2nd thru 5th are pretty similar. It is when you you get out of the top 5 that some other teams have a big advantage. The 10th place player in points on the Stars has basically 2x more points than the 10th place player on the Kings.
My guess is that is the type of production distribution Blake was hoping for with this roster construction. Top 6 all scoring 20-35 goals and 70+ points and then PLD/Arvidsson with another 20-25 goals each on the 3rd line.

The big hiccup has been the season ruining injury to Arvidsson, PLD’s struggles and like you mentioned a blue line where only 2 guys have anything close to dynamic puck moving skills and next to nothing from the other 4.

Mix in a PP that has completely dried up the second half of the season and there’s just no easy production. Those missing goals and points make tight games even tighter and losses more meaningful.

I went back and rewatched this Oilers game and the Kings executed gameplan was actually very effective 5 on 5 except for the end of the 2nd. The Oilers got very fortunate bounces on the McDavid goal and Henrique goals. Skinner was outstanding and the back breaking 3 goal sucked the soul out of the team.

Limiting an elite offensive attack like the Oilers to 20 shots on goal regardless of score effects is something to hang your hat but the time for moral victories is long gone. I just look at the lineup and I really struggle to understand why Kempe only has 22 goals and Fiala has just 63 points. These two in particular are so tremendously talented that it baffles me.

My guess is that is the type of production distribution Blake was hoping for with this roster construction. Top 6 all scoring 20-35 goals and 70+ points and then PLD/Arvidsson with another 20-25 goals each on the 3rd line.

The big hiccup has been the season ruining injury to Arvidsson, PLD’s struggles and like you mentioned a blue line where only 2 guys have anything close to dynamic puck moving skills and next to nothing from the other 4.

Mix in a PP that has completely dried up the second half of the season and there’s just no easy production. Those missing goals and points make tight games even tighter and losses more meaningful.

I went back and rewatched this Oilers game and the Kings executed gameplan was actually very effective 5 on 5 except for the end of the 2nd. The Oilers got very fortunate bounces on the McDavid goal and Henrique goals. Skinner was outstanding and the back breaking 3 goal sucked the soul out of the team.

Limiting an elite offensive attack like the Oilers to 20 shots on goal regardless of score effects is something to hang your hat but the time for moral victories is long gone. I just look at the lineup and I really struggle to understand why Kempe only has 22 goals and Fiala has just 63 points. These two in particular are so tremendously talented that it baffles me.

It's good for the forum to have a clear-headed voice of reason regularly engaging with the group.

Kings won't be playing Edmonton. We'll fall to the last WC position and play either Dallas, Colorado or Vancouver. Let Edmonton and Vegas duke it out. It's very clear that there are certain contenders we match up well against and others we don't. I like our chances playing Vegas, Winnipeg or Vancouver. Will be tough to get through anyone else. Just resign yourselves that this will be a short playoff run and hope they make changes over the offseason that will improve the team.
With our luck, EDM will pass VAN.
They're now 4 points behind with a game in hand after beating ANA today.

People disagree all the time here. No one is telling you to shut up.
Speak your peace and roll with it. Wait until playoffs, that's when things get Fun. :harhar1:

I also just think there is a psychological factor at play here. The Oilers are in the Kings heads and it makes them play not to lose instead of playing to win. The Kings I watched Monday night against arguably a better team were nowhere to be seen. Edmonton gives them the yips. If we get them in the first round again...it's rinse...repeat.

And the Oilers announcing was an absolute embarrassment. An official meeting of the Connor McDavid ball-washers club. (Like the dude needs any more stroking? Yeah....he's super good....we get it.)
I mean, he did invent hockey. Right?

With our luck, EDM will pass VAN.
They're now 4 points behind with a game in hand after beating ANA today.
We may all have to embrace the fact that Edmonton is all in and this might be their year. They are certainly playing like it and it was only a matter of time…with the generational talent they have built the team around…that they reach the promised land. Could you ever believe that Pittsburgh would have let Sid the Kid retire without winning a cup? It’s an imperative. Their organization understands that and they made some pretty good moves at the deadline and Skinner looks sharp. Just getting that feeling with them…(as utterly disgusting and painful it is for me to admit.)

We may all have to embrace the fact that Edmonton is all in and this might be their year. They are certainly playing like it and it was only a matter of time…with the generational talent they have built the team around…that they reach the promised land. Could you ever believe that Pittsburgh would have let Sid the Kid retire without winning a cup? It’s an imperative. Their organization understands that and they made some pretty good moves at the deadline and Skinner looks sharp. Just getting that feeling with them…(as utterly disgusting and painful it is for me to admit.)
I honestly think there are better teams than Edmonton...Dallas, Colorado, NYR, Carolina...but anything is possible once you get into the dance.

What’s up with all the ‘sky is falling’ crap after a single poor showing against a squad they pasted once already and got a point from the other time? Ya’ll need a Xanax and stiff Martini. It’s such a hair-trigger around here sometimes. And stop personalizing other peoples opinions. No one is a ‘dick’. We care a lot and we talk about it. The end. Get the point.
Yeah, you're still new here. It's been this way for years. I don't know why your vitriol is directed towards me. But hey, nobody is being a "dick" which is apparently "the end" and I should "get the point"

“Sky is falling?” It smashed us over the head for 45 years. It’s just us walking on the sky”glass” now.

Yeah, you're still new here. It's been this way for years. I don't know why your vitriol is directed towards me. But hey, nobody is being a "dick" which is apparently "the end" and I should "get the point"
You should look up the word ‘vitriol’ and then go ahead and read my post again. Not only I was a being vague and general and not singling anyone out but I was pretty diplomatic about it. That was deliberately done to avoid some overly-sensitive poster from taking it personally for no reason. Clearly I failed. My bad.🙄

You should look up the word ‘vitriol’ and then go ahead and read my post again. Not only I was a being vague and general and not singling anyone out but I was pretty diplomatic about it. That was deliberately done to avoid some overly-sensitive poster from taking it personally for no reason. Clearly I failed. My bad.🙄
You literally replied to my post. Nothing vauge about that. Buy you do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom