***LA Kings @ Minnesota Wild GDT 4/10/22 >>2:00pm<< on KCOP Ch13***

Im not saying AI is untouchable, but the one thing i don't want to do is watch a team develop players, and then send them packing when they have an off season or poor stretch. I think AI has earned a spot on the team long term, and i think he's earned his spot for next season, despite how this season is ending for him. But you do have to bring extra scrutiny on his game, because he's no longer a guy that can use the excuse of being young. There are a lot of young guys pushing for spots, but if we keep bring young guys in, we likely never develop into a team that has that consistency.

Agreed in many respects, but I really think it’s a matter of roster spots. Blake HAS to bring in another top 6 scorer this offseason. It’s the number one need, he has the assets, and he has more players than spaces with multiple players coming out of waiver exemption.

That said, who do you trade out of Kupari, Moore, or Iafallo? Moore could very likely keep his top six spot, or Kupari could beat him out of it. Either way, one of them is on the third line with Byfield. Also on that line you have to figure is Kaliyev who will have graduated off the fourth line. Speaking of fourth line, have to think a Madden, Turcotte, or Fagemo make the team and cut their teeth in the Kaliyev spot next year.

Given the names mentioned, this is all assuming Blake trades Vilardi and JAD. So where do you put AI? Or if he’s on the team, who do you trade, Moore or Kupari? Don’t see room for all three.

So where do you put AI? Or if he?s on the team, who do you trade, Moore or Kupari? Don?t see room for all three.

To me, AI is a 3rd line guy ideally. Moore i think has solidified his role with Danault and Arvidsson. So, in my mind, it's down to Kupari or Vilardi on who gets moved, and id move Vilardi at this point. And that 3rd line needs to produce next season. It was essentially a black hole this year. While i understand the need for a scorer, to me the need is less about one guy, and more about the 3rd line.

I don't think they go after a top 6 winger in FA.

Hard to add anything to the convo here... Odd coaching choices (but the coach got us this far) Highest paid player/captain not contributing as much as we'd like, but all you can do is hope (and change his linemates?). Teams are surging like we did in 2012, but we're going the other way. We're in the playoff spot, but I'd say now the underdog to make it. A lot has been accomplished this year, I could live with squeaking in and losing, not sure how I'd see a year that doesn't end in a step forward (playoff berth). End of the day, TM appeared to help this team move forward, but if we miss by a point or two, make no mistake - that's missing by coaching, because a less inept powerplay easily buys us another 2 point (more likely 8-10). And I think we all know that whatever happens, TM ain't going anywhere.

Frustrating as all hell.

I can't imagine a scenario for trading Moore away. None of the other names in this conversation have his skill set combination of elusiveness and puck handling ability.

This was the most disappointing game this season, to go from 3 up to giving up 6 unanswered goals. And I’m not to the point of saying we’re missing the playoffs but I can see why people feel this way. To me that would be unacceptable. As far as why we lost this one & 3 in a row, I don’t know. I think as well as the young guys stepped up, we need our injured guys back. Meanwhile our biggest problem is the play of our defensemen in their own zone. Which is why they need to break up the Bjornfot Durzi pairing. They’re too inexperienced & are getting killed. Maybe pair Durzi with Maatta & Toby with Roy. There are other problems too like Cal allowing 6 goals & why wasn’t he pulled. Or why we have the same guys on the 1st PP unit when they don’t score & just eat up time. Or what the hell is wrong with AI. But I think improving play by our d-men in their zone would solve at least 50% of our problems & probably more.

Kings are playing themselves out of a playoff spot. Too many injuries really ruined the way this team was playing. Can't put blame on missing the playoffs on anything but the injuries.

I can't imagine a scenario for trading Moore away. None of the other names in this conversation have his skill set combination of elusiveness and puck handling ability.

Moore is a keeper. Please don't trade him.

Congratulations to the following posters for correctly guessing both teams would tally 3 goals and/or 1 goal in the second and third periods respectively. Nobody guessed 5 goals total in the first:

Second Period 3 goals (1 point):
Dr. Tran
LeftyKing
sonnyboy11
Helvetica
forum gold
Chateau Bow Wow
Bill Hicks
Shackleford
Nyssa42

1 goal in the third (1 point):
Kurisu
DRice
STONE
jammer06
hihocarp
DRGinLBC
sonnyboy11
Rusty
pray4mojo
forum gold
hokiecat
VegasHockey
Rogie-Vachon
Liz4LA
Nyssa42

Special congratulations to sonnyboy11, forum gold, and Nyssa42 for snagging 2 of 3 points on the question. As for the game....That first 15 minutes was impressive, the remaining 45 minutes was also impressive, but in the exact opposite way. If they can't get their own game together and get up for Chicago that will tell us all we need to know about how this is likely to go down.

We had to at least get a point out of that game after going up 3-0. Devastatating loss. Really playing with fire now as far as making the playoffs.

This was the most disappointing game this season, to go from 3 up to giving up 6 unanswered goals. And I’m not to the point of saying we’re missing the playoffs but I can see why people feel this way. To me that would be unacceptable. As far as why we lost this one & 3 in a row, I don’t know. I think as well as the young guys stepped up, we need our injured guys back. Meanwhile our biggest problem is the play of our defensemen in their own zone. Which is why they need to break up the Bjornfot Durzi pairing. They’re too inexperienced & are getting killed. Maybe pair Durzi with Maatta & Toby with Roy. There are other problems too like Cal allowing 6 goals & why wasn’t he pulled. Or why we have the same guys on the 1st PP unit when they don’t score & just eat up time. Or what the hell is wrong with AI. But I think improving play by our d-men in their zone would solve at least 50% of our problems & probably more.

Incredibly disappointing but I'd put the blowout at the hands of Seattle at the top of the list. That was a must win game against the number 30 team in the league. Minnesota comeback isn't nearly as surprising.

Kings are playing themselves out of a playoff spot. Too many injuries really ruined the way this team was playing. Can't put blame on missing the playoffs on anything but the injuries.

Ironically, the Kings survived and even thrived after the rash of injuries in mid-March. It seems the injury effect has been more pronounced as players have returned to the line-up, obviously rusty. That is disrupted the chemistry just enough to throw things off. The really frustrating part is the PK has all of a sudden thrived, with shorthanded goals being scored almost every game. Even the power play was 1/3 in this game. Now, it's 5 on 5 where things are falling apart.

Lost three in a row, and blew a 3-0 lead yesterday...almost glad I missed the games. I tried to pop-in a few times here and check the score, but spare time have become diamonds: They're rare, they're precious and I don't have any.

Oh well, too many injuries and too much to expect of the kids. Still, we have a chance...

Last edited by a moderator:
If this team doesn't show any heart next game out im f'ing done with this season ... haha or well till next game but good god was that frustrating to see and only lemieux and moore seemed to care :/

To me, AI is a 3rd line guy ideally. Moore i think has solidified his role with Danault and Arvidsson. So, in my mind, it's down to Kupari or Vilardi on who gets moved, and id move Vilardi at this point. And that 3rd line needs to produce next season. It was essentially a black hole this year. While i understand the need for a scorer, to me the need is less about one guy, and more about the 3rd line.

I don't think they go after a top 6 winger in FA.

I don?t see a FA top six either but I do see a trade for one. Malpractice by Blake if he doesn?t.

The third line is another problem but it?s a separate issue from the top 6 acquisition. I agree that Iafallo would be a great fit there but again it?s about roster spaces. Assuming Kaliyev has graduated and Blake brings in a top 6 here are the top 9 forwards next season:

Kempe/top 6 acquisition
Moore/Arvidsson
Kupari/Iafallo
Kaliyev

Keep them all and I guess you can keep Kaliyev on the 4th line, but that?s not right for his development and it also takes a spot from an Ontario grad like Madden.

Just remember that Chicago has lost 7 seven straight. We are not completely screwed yet. We don't control our own destiny any more but I don't think Vegas is going to win all of their remaining games.

I don?t see a FA top six either but I do see a trade for one. Malpractice by Blake if he doesn?t.

The third line is another problem but it?s a separate issue from the top 6 acquisition. I agree that Iafallo would be a great fit there but again it?s about roster spaces. Assuming Kaliyev has graduated and Blake brings in a top 6 here are the top 9 forwards next season:

Kempe/top 6 acquisition
Moore/Arvidsson
Kupari/Iafallo
Kaliyev

Keep them all and I guess you can keep Kaliyev on the 4th line, but that?s not right for his development and it also takes a spot from an Ontario grad like Madden.

I think they roll with Kaliyev on the top line, and he swaps spots with Iaffalo if that's not working.

I know scoring is an issue with this team, but im still of the mindset that they need to solve that on the blue line. Overall, Kings rank 21st in the league in GF, but take a look at these numbers with respect to goals by defensemen...

COL 59g
NSH 53g
VGK 44g
TBL 40g
CAL 39g
STL 38g
ANH 35g
ARZ 35g
MIN 33g
SEA 33g
MTL 31g
OIL 30g
CHI 23g

LAK 18g

I stopped about halfway through, but id be willing to bet Kings are last in the league in goals scored by defensemen. League average looks to be around 30-34g id guess. What would 10 more goals look like for this team? What would 15 more goals look like? If the Kings got league average goals from their blue line, they have roughly a +15 goal differential, and id wager at least 4-6 more points in the standings. I think the biggest deficit, and the biggest bang for their buck, comes from upgrading the blue line. And that's not even getting into the actual defensive side of the equation. That's simply more goals from the backend. The kings have already discussed trying to land that fish, but i think that's where they need to stay committed, and i think that's where they trade their assets.

So, to me, the issue of spots resolves itself when they trade for the defensemen and not a winger. And the issue of goal scoring goes hand in hand with that move. With that said, i do agree that there is an option to upgrade our top siz wing, i just happen to think it takes a back seat to our need on D.

Last edited:
Ironically, the Kings survived and even thrived after the rash of injuries in mid-March. It seems the injury effect has been more pronounced as players have returned to the line-up, obviously rusty. That is disrupted the chemistry just enough to throw things off. The really frustrating part is the PK has all of a sudden thrived, with shorthanded goals being scored almost every game. Even the power play was 1/3 in this game. Now, it's 5 on 5 where things are falling apart.

I also think the opposition has upped their game and has their team game fine tuned. The Oilers were a great example of that. Minnesota after a rough game against the Blues, and a terrible first 10 minutes were also an example of that.

Not sure the Kings have another gear to keep up.

1st = 0,1. 2nd = 2,3. 3rd = 1,2.

Go Kings Go!

Congratulations to the following posters for correctly guessing both teams would tally 3 goals and/or 1 goal in the second and third periods respectively. Nobody guessed 5 goals total in the first:

Second Period 3 goals (1 point):
Dr. Tran
LeftyKing
sonnyboy11
Helvetica
forum gold
Chateau Bow Wow
Bill Hicks
Shackleford
Nyssa42

1 goal in the third (1 point):
Kurisu
DRice
STONE
jammer06
hihocarp
DRGinLBC
sonnyboy11
Rusty
pray4mojo
forum gold
hokiecat
VegasHockey
Rogie-Vachon
Liz4LA
Nyssa42

Special congratulations to sonnyboy11, forum gold, and Nyssa42 for snagging 2 of 3 points on the question. As for the game....That first 15 minutes was impressive, the remaining 45 minutes was also impressive, but in the exact opposite way. If they can't get their own game together and get up for Chicago that will tell us all we need to know about how this is likely to go down.

I had 1 in the 3rd.

I think they roll with Kaliyev on the top line, and he swaps spots with Iaffalo if that's not working.

I know scoring is an issue with this team, but im still of the mindset that they need to solve that on the blue line. Overall, Kings rank 21st in the league in GF, but take a look at these numbers with respect to goals by defensemen...

I stopped about halfway through, but id be willing to bet Kings are last in the league in goals scored by defensemen. League average looks to be around 30-34g id guess. What would 10 more goals look like for this team? What would 15 more goals look like? If the Kings got league average goals from their blue line, they have roughly a +15 goal differential, and id wager at least 4-6 more points in the standings. I think the biggest deficit, and the biggest bang for their buck, comes from upgrading the blue line. And that's not even getting into the actual defensive side of the equation. That's simply more goals from the backend. The kings have already discussed trying to land that fish, but i think that's where they need to stay committed, and i think that's where they trade their assets.

So, to me, the issue of spots resolves itself when they trade for the defensemen and not a winger. And the issue of goal scoring goes hand in hand with that move. With that said, i do agree that there is an option to upgrade our top siz wing, i just happen to think it takes a back seat to our need on D.

It’s a fair take to see Kaliyev on the first line next year. I don’t agree, but it’s fair.

I do agree however that a D upgrade is also crucial, I just see it as the other big trade
Rob has to make.

I fully expect at least four if not five of the following seven assets to be dealt this summer:

1st round pick
Durzi
Vilardi
JAD
Grans
Turcotte
Fagemo

Add in a roster player in Iafallo and a throw-in with Lias or Grundstom and that’s a pool that should be able to net both a legit LD and top six scorer.

Back
Top Bottom