***LA Kings @ Toronto Maple Leafs GDT 10/31/23 5:00pm on ESPN***

A few thoughts...

1) A fine win against a good team
2) Cam Talbot was excellent
3) no big defensive breakdowns
4) Nice to see Kempe get a goal
5) Matt Roy is a solid stay at home guy, but we already knew that ;)

screenshot_20231031_170440-jpg.6902

Thoughts on tonight’s game, what a complete game by the Kings. That 2:35 at the end of the second was epic. Byfield played great, his hustle was outstanding. Roy played well. The passing was incredible. They stumbled a few times by trying to make the perfect pass instead of the safe pass, however, it did not lead to a goal. Kings had some lucky bounces go their way and Talbot played great, however, I hope they clean up some of those because eventually they will end up in the back of the net. Most of those penalties need to stop. The most complete game for sure this year. Well done!

I just got done watching the game. I had to work. Best game of the season. That cycle at the end of the 2nd was awesome! Way to go Kings! Let’s keep it going.

All-around great game by the boys. As a negative nellie here I would say it should have been like 8-1. Some of those 2 on 1s needed to be buried.
No doubt, but sometimes opposing goaltenders gonna goaltend. Makes it all the sweeter that NHL network couldn’t stop slobbering all over the Leafs and Woll all day, ahead of the game.

All-around great game by the boys. As a negative nellie here I would say it should have been like 8-1. Some of those 2 on 1s needed to be buried.
Our killer instinct isn't quite there yet, but you're correct--could use easily been 7 or 8 if we were more focused.

Not sure why the Leafs were dead but I'll take it.

IMO they are collectively caving under pressure. After long years of mediocrity (even the late 90s/early 2000s relatively successful era would be considered sub-standard for their fanbase) they have formed what their media hyped up as a sort of a "superteam" (which it kinda actually is, on paper), pressure rose even further and it seems they just don't have it in them. Similar to San Jose Chokes, but even more apparent, as they can't even reach the regular season dominance similar to San Jose. Jumbo Joe and Tavares seem to be similarly inadequate as captains (of course, not everything is on C), too much focus on talent, not enough on character...

They will make the playoffs no problem, but they just don't seem to have it in them with all the expectations to meet their "on paper" potential.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the following posters who correctly guessed within +/-3 minutes of 12:13 of the third period for Kempe's first goal:

11:13 to 13:13 (3 points)
DRGinLBC
pray4mojo
SirJW (off by 2 Seconds!!!!)

10:13-14:13 (2 points)
Byron
notbob
katydid213
randdog
Liz4LA
mugs

9:13-15:13 (1 point)
TooCool
Cross Traffic

If I missed anyone, please send me a note (or start a thread) and I'll get you in there. All 3 of our 3 pointers guessed different times, kudos to them. Regarding the game....Lets just hope they didn't close October by shooting their wad. That was almost clinical. The only momentum Toronto had all night was the start of the second where they clearly challenged themselves but the kings weathered it and pushed back to the most dominant shift that we've seen in years to end that period with everything except a goal. At the end of October, comsidering they only got 2 of 8 points against the 4 division winners from last year, it is impressive that they cleaned house on the rest getting 10/10 of the remainder. Looking ahead to November they have an opportunity to really get ahead of the game if they keep taking care of business. Lets just hope their league leading shooting percentage holds up.

I know Fiala is collecting points every night but his game is just so off right now. it’ll come around I hope.
I wanted to sleep on this before commenting...
I think this is a glass half full situation because Fiala is playing like crap compared to what we know his 100% level is, but he has 12 points and is on pace for 100+ and is 11th in the NHL in scoring. I mean, if he starts clicking, then does he finish in the top 10 in scoring?

Also, what a nice way to break into the NHL for Alex L. While I'm not convinced he deserves to stick at this point, this is how you introduce a scoring winger into the NHL-- you play him with guys like PLD and Fiala not Lizotte and Pepe.

Back
Top Bottom