Let's discuss PP strategies

Complaining only get you so far I want to share notes with others maybe I'm missing something but I love to discuss our shortcomings and our special teams.

I always try to watch other teams, see what they're doing see what's efficient what's not and then it's night and day compared to what we're doing.

On PP, you don't always have to score but you at least have to have some sort of chances.

1. Watching Dallas and Vegas what they do is they enter the Zone with a little bit of speed, then they swarm the puck to retrieve.

Our team is too small and weak that they don't have the strength to board battle every time we dump it behind the net we lose that most of the time because it's a game of hot potato and getting out muscle so that eliminates one strategy for cycle.

2. Nobody moves around on the power play we're set in position so there's no real need for big defenseman to move at all to change the angle or create chances.

3. No real offensive threat on the blue line for bombs that other teams have to respect

4. Good teams on the power play inch in as they move around so the D is getting towards the top of the circles when they're at the peak of setting up we stay high and don't force the other team to respect

5. Hot Potato passing and Desperation not creating your own space.
No skilled Hotshot players that have the ability to dance inside the zone and create havoc everyone wants to pass the buck

6. If we're going to pass the puck to the perimeter at least somebody has to get close and drive the net screen the goalie jostle with the D create Havoc we're just standing on the sidelines hoping and praying for a easy rebound.

When we shoot the puck for rebounds we're shooting them high easily gloved and stopping play, if not missing high and wide altogether.

7. Edmonton players stay at home plate guarding the front because they're not forced to do anything else and they're there in numbers in order to get the rebounds cleared out. Without matching their numbers down low or forcing in it's a great strategy for perimeter play

Acknowledging all of our shortcomings I think our only real strategy is to play with balls and enforce your will, draw penalties move the puck fast and crash the net as much as possible to create chaos.

Other teams get right in our face and pressure at the Blue Line and Chase players all over without fear because

I can’t add much to what has been said.
It’s a lot that’s not working. Entries, stationary, not shooting, no net-front presence, missing the net…

What they are doing isn’t working, obvs.

The Kings do not have many options in front of the net. Not many guys who get the greasy goals. Danault has been an exception.

The second unit can be effective because they move the puck quickly, which creates shooting lanes and creates energy. But they have seen their PP time decrease.

The talent on the top unit seems sufficient but isn’t productive.

I think I would advocate Danault on the top line, parked in front of the net. He will take a beating there, but not sure he’s ready for that after the Hyman hit. But he’s gritty and has shown he can handle that role.
I would also put Kopi up top as the QB. He has a shot, sees the play and could be effective there.
Kopi on the half wall hasn’t worked. He was behind the net a few times but it didn’t accomplish much.

Other than that, mix up the units. Kopi and Kempe for sure, add Danault, Fiala and Doughty. Can’t be worse.
Second unit would be Byfield, Arvy, Moore, PLD, Spence.

Shoot the damn puck, hit the net, and battle for rebounds.

That’s all I can think of. 0-10 so far. Gotta try something different…

I thought it was just me and also figured I'm the only person left posting on a laptop. It's weird. My 8bit avatar is scary looking this. big.
I can't read the words when the avatar is dark, and have to guess often when it's a mid-level color.

I thought it was just me and also figured I'm the only person left posting on a laptop. It's weird. My 8bit avatar is scary looking this. big.
I tried shrinking the window from right to left and the avatars get small again. Expand the window and the avatars blow up big once more.

Kings strategy was "uh, I got nothing." Yikes 0% efficiency. I've never seen anything that bad stat wise.

Complaining only get you so far I want to share notes with others maybe I'm missing something but I love to discuss our shortcomings and our special teams.

I always try to watch other teams, see what they're doing see what's efficient what's not and then it's night and day compared to what we're doing.

On PP, you don't always have to score but you at least have to have some sort of chances.

1. Watching Dallas and Vegas what they do is they enter the Zone with a little bit of speed, then they swarm the puck to retrieve.

Our team is too small and weak that they don't have the strength to board battle every time we dump it behind the net we lose that most of the time because it's a game of hot potato and getting out muscle so that eliminates one strategy for cycle.

2. Nobody moves around on the power play we're set in position so there's no real need for big defenseman to move at all to change the angle or create chances.

3. No real offensive threat on the blue line for bombs that other teams have to respect

4. Good teams on the power play inch in as they move around so the D is getting towards the top of the circles when they're at the peak of setting up we stay high and don't force the other team to respect

5. Hot Potato passing and Desperation not creating your own space.
No skilled Hotshot players that have the ability to dance inside the zone and create havoc everyone wants to pass the buck

6. If we're going to pass the puck to the perimeter at least somebody has to get close and drive the net screen the goalie jostle with the D create Havoc we're just standing on the sidelines hoping and praying for a easy rebound.

When we shoot the puck for rebounds we're shooting them high easily gloved and stopping play, if not missing high and wide altogether.

7. Edmonton players stay at home plate guarding the front because they're not forced to do anything else and they're there in numbers in order to get the rebounds cleared out. Without matching their numbers down low or forcing in it's a great strategy for perimeter play

Acknowledging all of our shortcomings I think our only real strategy is to play with balls and enforce your will, draw penalties move the puck fast and crash the net as much as possible to create chaos.

Other teams get right in our face and pressure at the Blue Line and Chase players all over without fear because no one's willing to take a one-on-one move and challenge them.

If you can't challenge a team by pressing forward you're playing not to get turnovers and you're not forcing the play that's why we're so passive and happy with perimeter.

That's my assessment, what do you guys got? What can you add or disagree with?
I agree with everything here. But I’m not sure how to fix it other than to say get it in the zone quicker & stop with the slow perimeter passes where the PK doesn’t have to move. Maybe make changes to who’s on what unit & adding Clarke would help a lot. The only thing for sure is the 1st unit can’t be on for 1:30 & do jack sh*t & then leave the 2nd unit under 30 seconds to get something done. If the 1st unit’s on & it’s around a minute and nothing’s getting done then get off the ice & let the 2nd unit take over.

Unlike many other power plays in the league, the Rangers don't rely on one very specific strategy for exiting the defensive zone, traveling through neutral ice, and entering the opposition's end. The top unit doesn't have a designated puck transporter, either. The players adjust on the fly to the defensive scheme.

The Rangers use drop passes like every other team. However, if the drop pass doesn't make sense under certain circumstances, they don't force the issue.

Perhaps most crucially, there's a strong sense of urgency to the transition game.

Ran across this today and i have to say, i think this is probably the way top teams are going. Systems are great, but having skill guys that can freelance and take advantage of what's available, makes things significantly more difficult for the opposition to defend. There are similarities discussed here that are in line with what edmonton seems to be doing as well. And finally, urgency was something ive felt was lacking from the king's PP for some time now, and i've harped about it before with the way doughty tends to move the puck up the ice on the PP.

I don't know for certain if the Kings truly have the pieces to go this route, but id certainly hope they move in this direction. Guys like Fiala, hopefully clarke next season, and honestly Arvidsson (likely gone) all seem to fit this more creative/improvisation mold. This feels like the sort of thing that would bump guys like kopitar and doughty off the top line PP, so who knows if there's a stomach for that, but i think this is how you truly improve the PP in today's nhl.

Ran across this today and i have to say, i think this is probably the way top teams are going. Systems are great, but having skill guys that can freelance and take advantage of what's available, makes things significantly more difficult for the opposition to defend. There are similarities discussed here that are in line with what edmonton seems to be doing as well. And finally, urgency was something ive felt was lacking from the king's PP for some time now, and i've harped about it before with the way doughty tends to move the puck up the ice on the PP.

I don't know for certain if the Kings truly have the pieces to go this route, but id certainly hope they move in this direction. Guys like Fiala, hopefully clarke next season, and honestly Arvidsson (likely gone) all seem to fit this more creative/improvisation mold. This feels like the sort of thing that would bump guys like kopitar and doughty off the top line PP, so who knows if there's a stomach for that, but i think this is how you truly improve the PP in today's nhl.
Hell of a post. Will say this, the way Clarke has had success offensively is by carrying the puck when he doesn’t see a pass that suits him. He’ll go deep to either shoot himself or to pass as he draws the opposition to him. You let him freelance or you simply drafted the wrong guy.

The Rangers have a great power play but isn't the same with out Kreider.

Back
Top Bottom