McLellan fired

Um, WTF? Just because I do not think Sutter is the answer and I am trying to be optimistic of Hiller and this team? This team could have easily been .500 over the last 18 games and sitting pretty in 2nd or 3rd in the division. They had a few awful games and many awful moments, I will grant you that. Are you trying to imply that I would be my fault if the Kings continue to suck?

Ok, let me ask you this. What did Todd need to do different to get more wins out of this last stretch? For sure you have sugggestions, or all of answeres. Please speak up and let us know your thoughts.
It isn't what todd could have done, it is all about what he allowed this team to become. When you have Kopitar and Doughty going public that the team consists of players who are more concerened about their personal point production than playing as a team to achieve the goal, that shows that the HC has lost control of the players and the goal of the team. Todd's failure to see this and correct it from the get go is why he had to be fired.

It isn't what todd could have done, it is all about what he allowed this team to become. When you have Kopitar and Doughty going public that the team consists of players who are more concerened about their personal point production than playing as a team to achieve the goal, that shows that the HC has lost control of the players and the goal of the team. Todd's failure to see this and correct it from the get go is why he had to be fired.

I get it. That question was directed at a different user. I will also say that I agree with much of your assessment.

he won another cup.
Didn't Doughty say he wants to win cups?
Cause that isn't happening anytime soon in LA.
So players happy or fans happy?
So, let's not make the fans happy? Fans are the ones who pay to see the product.
This team is miss managed, PERIOD

BTW, the Kings should have traded Kopitar and Doughty a long time ago.
You’re not the first or only person who’s suggested trading Kopi and Doughty. I just thought it was funny you linked it to making fans happy. Unless they brought back pieces that guaranteed a Cup, which is impossible, fans would be most assuredly not happy.

Not to mention it’s revisionist and amounts to a team that essentially would have traded everyone from the Cup years. Name a team that traded everyone in a rebuild. It doesn’t happen. Core, classic players are built around again. It’s just the model. To quote Dean, “that’s not an opinion.”

Yes, he has been a head coach, but not in the NHL. Anyway, you do recall the Kings fired Sutter? That ship has sailed.

Tyler Toffoli Shares More Disturbing Details About Darryl Sutter

"He's just trying to get guys going. I guess it happened in LA too. It just started to wear on guys"

If Kopi, Drew and Lewis experienced this while Sutter coached in LA, there is ZERO chance in hell he coaches here again.
ummm I read that and if that's toxic....well they might as well shut it all down.

So players happy or fans happy?

You’re not the first or only person who’s suggested trading Kopi and Doughty. I just thought it was funny you linked it to making fans happy. Unless they brought back pieces that guaranteed a Cup, which is impossible, fans would be most assuredly not happy.

Not to mention it’s revisionist and amounts to a team that essentially would have traded everyone from the Cup years. Name a team that traded everyone in a rebuild. It doesn’t happen. Core, classic players are built around again. It’s just the model. To quote Dean, “that’s not an opinion.”
Yeah, it would have been a riot if they traded Kopi or Dewey. But I also never thought Edmonton would trade Gretzky.

As I mentioned before...Sutter flailed around the head coaching world in tepid mediocrity for 13 SEASONS until he won a cup. He won again two years later and within a single season he had 'lost the room'. There is so much more going on here then Mclellan's so called 'ineptitude'.

For example: When the Kings were winning cups Dustin Brown was the captain. Kopitar has never had that dirty edge and attitude that I think a great captain should have. This is a guy who said he most wants to be known for 'being a good friend' in a recent interview. That's great and there is no denying Kopi's status as a HOF player and Kings legend...but I suggest he is not...nor has he ever been...captain material. And there is a reason they never even considered Doughty for the job. He's always been a bit of a hot head and a loose cannon. So with that said...where is the true 'CORE' of this team? Mikey Anderson could be that kind of guy...but nothing is happening until Kopi retires.

Did Todd lose the room? Sure...but I think the leadership on this team is as much to blame. Who is the Justin Williams on this roster? The Matt Greene?

Winning the cup is the perfect storm...like catching lightning in a bottle. So many things have to come together just right for it happen. It's why repeating is so hard. Just ask Sutter.

That said I would not be surprised in the slightest if TM were to win the cup with another team down the road. Maybe he gets his 'lightning' at some point.

As I mentioned before...Sutter flailed around the head coaching world in tepid mediocrity for 13 SEASONS until he won a cup. He won again two years later and within a single season he had 'lost the room'. There is so much more going on here then Mclellan's so called 'ineptitude'.

For example: When the Kings were winning cups Dustin Brown was the captain. Kopitar has never had that dirty edge and attitude that I think a great captain should have. This is a guy who said he most wants to be known for 'being a good friend' in a recent interview. That's great and there is no denying Kopi's status as a HOF player and Kings legend...but I suggest he is not...nor has he ever been...captain material. And there is a reason they never even considered Doughty for the job. He's always been a bit of a hot head and a loose cannon. So with that said...where is the true 'CORE' of this team? Mikey Anderson could be that kind of guy...but nothing is happening until Kopi retires.

Did Todd lose the room? Sure...but I think the leadership on this team is as much to blame. Who is the Justin Williams on this roster? The Matt Greene?

Winning the cup is the perfect storm...like catching lightning in a bottle. So many things have to come together just right for it happen. It's why repeating is so hard. Just ask Sutter.

That said I would not be surprised in the slightest if TM were to win the cup with another team down the road. Maybe he gets his 'lightning' at some point.
The key point here is that all teams will eventually tune out there coach, it just comes down to how many seasons it takes to happen. Those teams in which we see having elongated success patterns with the same coach at the helm (like Scotty Bowman) tend to have both exceptional coaches and exceptional on ice leaders.

In the Kings' case, they neither had an exceptional head coach (I can't really evaluate the assistant coaches) or exceptional on ice leadership - but likely they did have a very good HC and good on ice leadership to make as much progress as they did and keep it moving forward for 4 seasons. That said, it eventually fell apart and Kopitar and Doughty do deserve some of the blame.

On a side note, I would be very surprised if McLellan ever won a Cup as HC unless he learns to be much more adaptable. Seems like he gets out to an early series lead, the opposing team makes adjustments and shift the momentum only for him to stay the course and end up losing the series.

The key point here is that all teams will eventually tune out there coach, it just comes down to how many seasons it takes to happen. Those teams in which we see having elongated success patterns with the same coach at the helm (like Scotty Bowman) tend to have both exceptional coaches and exceptional on ice leaders.

In the Kings' case, they neither had an exceptional head coach (I can't really evaluate the assistant coaches) or exceptional on ice leadership - but likely they did have a very good HC and good on ice leadership to make as much progress as they did and keep it moving forward for 4 seasons. That said, it eventually fell apart and Kopitar and Doughty do deserve some of the blame.

On a side note, I would be very surprised if McLellan ever won a Cup as HC unless he learns to be much more adaptable. Seems like he gets out to an early series lead, the opposing team makes adjustments and shift the momentum only for him to stay the course and end up losing the series.
Not to mention a GM like Ken Holland, along with Bowman......who got those exceptional on ice leaders on those rosters?

Recent San Jose Sharks? St Louis Blues?
Hertl, Vlasic and Couture all still Sharks.

Schenn, Kyrou, Binnington all still Blues.

Kings didn’t trade Brown, Kopi or Drew. And Brown retired. No team trades everyone from a peak/champion team during a rebuild.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom