***Playoffs Rd 1 Gm 1 GDT LA Kings @ Edmonton Oilers 7:00pm on ESPN2 & BSSC***

But are they? Not sure I see that.
Nugent-Hopkins and Evander Kane are significantly less effective vs last season. The bottom six lost a key piece in Bjugstad. Yamamoto for all his flaws did add skill to the lineup. Holloway and Carrick are just far less impactful. Certainly not upgrades.

Nugent-Hopkins and Evander Kane are significantly less effective vs last season. The bottom six lost a key piece in Bjugstad. Yamamoto for all his flaws did add skill to the lineup. Holloway and Carrick are just far less impactful. Certainly not upgrades.
Hyman stepped up, they added some vet depth in Henrique and toughness with Perry. They just look like a better team on the ice to my eyes. While they faltered early on, I can't recall them having a bad stretch much of the season since then. Regardless, the Kings don't appear to be on the same level as Edmonton.

Again, really don’t care any more waking up this morning. Watching them last night reminded me of all the ways I don’t believe in this team.

That said, Kings can beat Skinner with traffic and if Hiller is serious he’ll start Rittich. I actually think Kings could still pull this out in an ugly back-and-forth series provided we get good games out of the D also. And they hit more last night than in the past which really will make an impact if they keep at it. Looked like they rattled Nurse and Kane both at times.

If Edmonton played like that against a good team they would have lost. McDavid’s 5 assists and Hyman’s hattrick aside, Kings gave them free entry all night. That doesn’t happen against NSH, even.
The Kings needed to check a few boxes, and failed in all respects:

Contain McDickhead - Nope. We looked like spectators watching him literally skate circles around us.

Stay out of the box - Nope. Of course, a lot of that had to do with the tilted ice. The refs were calling everything against us and letting the Oilers get away with murder. Typical NHL playoff game in Canada

Bury our chances - Nope. Fiala and Arvy need to step up Wednesday. We missed the net way too often. That can't happen.

Stellar goaltending - Nope. The loss was not Cam's fault, but he let in too many softies, especially that first goal, which seemed to set the tone for the game.

On the bright side, we were way more physical, so there's that.

I'll be shocked if Hiller starts Talbot again. I think he should have gone with Rittich in the opener, but that's history now.

And as for Captain Obvious, Wednesday is a must-win game, so we better play like it.

It ain't over yet, but the Fat Lady is backstage putting on her breast armor.

4lcn6a.jpg

Hyman stepped up, they added some vet depth in Henrique and toughness with Perry. They just look like a better team on the ice to my eyes.
Maybe but I remember the Kings being overmatched when McDavid was on and off the ice. Last night they held serve when McDavid’s line wasn’t out there.

Last playoffs Draisaitl ate Kopi for breakfast lunch and dinner. Last night Kopi’s line held their own against the German.

It wasn't a goaltending issue entirely last night, but was remarkably dumb to start a goaltender with a .89 SV% in April against a team that lights up mediocre goaltending. Did anyone ask Hiller during the post mortem why he started Talbot?

Pls don't use last years playoff strategy to stick with mediocre goaltending until the series is lost. Put Talbot on the pine, cut down on penalties, connect with some passes, more shots on net, go home even.

Yep, I said before the series and the D-bag Oilers writer had an article a month ago or something pointing out that the Oilers have solved the 1-3-1. They may not like going against it but they've got the answers. The Kings were going to get beat by the Stars if we faced them. We're a playoff team but not a contender. The Korpi/Gavrikov trade consumed a lot of picks (and cap space with the Gavrikov extension) and the PLD trade was a step back in terms of roster depth and wasted cap space. This is pretty much last spring's team but with less depth due to Blake's bungling of the roster. I feel bad for guys like Doughty and Kempe and Danault who always give 100% but can't win it alone.

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^ times 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

There is only one error above. This team only made the playoffs due to their hot (and often lucky) start. They have not been a playoff caliber team since the 1st part of December.

Maybe but I remember the Kings being overmatched when McDavid was on and off the ice. Last night they held serve when McDavid’s line wasn’t out there.

Last playoffs Draisaitl ate Kopi for breakfast lunch and dinner. Last night Kopi’s line held their own against the German.
Ok, that happened but the Kings still got their butts kicked. Now what? Kings need to be better, but what happens when McJesus Dirtbagaitl play better 5 on 5?

This Oilers team started the season something like 2-9-1 if I recall. Then, at some point they won, or got points in a bunch of games in a row. They have slowly pulled away from the Kings even when McJesus was sidelined with an injury.

One of the areas the Oilers were better last year was maybe the 4th line, and the face off dot with Bjugstad.

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^ times 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

There is only one error above. This team only made the playoffs due to their hot (and often lucky) start. They have not been a playoff caliber team since the 1st part of December.

What was it - 15 of our 44 wins were against current playoff teams?

What was it - 15 of our 44 wins were against current playoff teams?
Good call, I just went through the schedule and you are correct. Only 15 wins against playoff teams. 3 of those came against the Canucks
Many of the wins came against teams in the east. Meaning, the Kings did not fare well at all against good teams in the west.

What are the chances of winning 4 of the (possible) next 6 games against the Oilers?

Last edited:
Unless there is some type of miracle revamp of the roster in the offseason OR guys like QB, Thomas, Turc, and PLD really turn it on, this team will be a mid-tier, maybe win one round of the playoffs team for the foreseeable future.
That is what really scares me. We're going to be stuck in the middle for the rest of the decade unless something like that happens (unlikely) or Portillo or the other goalie become the next Patrick Roy.

That is what really scares me. We're going to be stuck in the middle for the rest of the decade unless something like that happens (unlikely) or Portillo or the other goalie become the next Patrick Roy.
If Blake is not going to be able to sign Arvy and Roy to cheap deals in the offseason, he should have sold them at the deadline for players on term / cheaper contracts, or for pics to use those to get said players on term with good contracts.

One of the Kings defenders(think it was Dewey) caught McJesus when he was entering the zone, and laid him out nicely. Ignored the puck and really extended to get that backside hipcheck right into him, so there was no trip. They need to really focus on this, and aggressively attack him, perhaps even harangue him from behind. I think the 1-3-1 must be abandoned for a 2-1-2 format or something like this.. our quickest skater to harass him(even if it’s stick checking from a step behind) and have the other attacking forward in a prevent style position ready to quickly double team him, or intercept his dish off when he’s pressed. Would this work? Who knows, but the 1-3-1 is just too easy for him to break because the only guy moving his legs is the 1, and the 3-1 guys are essentially stationary and easy for him to make into traffic cones. Hell, if I’m Hiller in last nights obvious losing effort, maybe I’m trying alognments like 4-1 or 5-0 straight up 5 year old hockey little league swarming of the puck carrier. Just something unorthodox that might prove to boggle the Oilers for at least a few periods of hockey. Or design a play to lure him into a zone penetration, but shade him directly into the oncoming freight train that is Andreas Englund. It’s truly the best we can hope for, otherwise I’m calling Bobby Clarke out of retirement for a few shifts to give him the ol’ ruskie treatment. 5 freaking primary assists, so they just have to be looking at any possible way to stop him.

Also, our passive/
stationary prevent style penalty kill works on 90% of the league, but it does not appear to have any effect on the McJesus..

Does most of this seem farcical? Of course it does, but last nights effort was a joke, and even when the Kings are totally engaged and zeroed in, it’s a 50/50 coin toss. So the coaching staff is going to have to come up with something bombastic, outlandish, bewildering to even give our guys a shot

It wasn't a goaltending issue entirely last night, but was remarkably dumb to start a goaltender with a .89 SV% in April against a team that lights up mediocre goaltending. Did anyone ask Hiller during the post mortem why he started Talbot?

Pls don't use last years playoff strategy to stick with mediocre goaltending until the series is lost. Put Talbot on the pine, cut down on penalties, connect with some passes, more shots on net, go home even.
I really didn't understand why Hiller road Talbot down the stretch, when he was far from great. Rittich would be in a better position to come in now had he gotten into more games.

It’s time for a full rebuild.
As appealing as it sounds, are any of these guys even trade-able? I’m not just talking about Drew’s outrageous cap hit.. but with all the NMC’s, will any of them accept being traded to destinations that’ll result in worthwhile draft picks?

I really didn't understand why Hiller road Talbot down the stretch, when he was far from great. Rittich would be in a better position to come in now had he gotten into more games.
I agree with you, but probably not for the same reasons. I’d say going with the Hail Mary approach early is a necessity here. If we wait until we’re down 3-0 in the series, it’ll be too late anyways, even if Rittich came in and stole a game. Might as well swing for the fences early, haymaker hail mary style, and hope to plant the seed of doubt in the Oilers, then feed on that.

As appealing as it sounds, are any of these guys even trade-able? I’m not just talking about Drew’s outrageous cap hit.. but with all the NMC’s, will any of them accept being traded to destinations that’ll result in worthwhile draft picks?
Gavrikov has 1 year left on his deal. He’ll be looking for his next payday.

Danault hard to say but I imagine he wouldn’t be heartbroken to return to Montreal. They certainly could use him.

Moore his NTC ends on July 1.

Fiala highly doubt he sticks around to play on a bottom feeder for the next 3+ years.

Drew wants to win. Toronto needs defensemen badly. Could be a fit there.

Mikey Anderson he’s young enough to keep.

PLD we’re stuck with him.

Kopi is not going anywhere.

The key to the tear down is getting a ransom for Kempe. He’s a prime age 40 goal 75 point winger on a cheap contract. We need to get a haul for him.

Danault hard to say but I imagine he wouldn’t be heartbroken to return to Montreal. They certainly could use him.

Fiala highly doubt he sticks around to play on a bottom feeder for the next 3+ years.

The key to the tear down is getting a ransom for Kempe. He’s a prime age 40 goal 75 point winger on a cheap contract. We need to get a haul for him.
Good calls, and probably the very same list I would put together. The really tough part is assessing the talent and picking the right returns. Unless you just go pure draft pick returns but that’s always a crap shoot, as evinced by our last 3 top ten picks. Then it’s a matter of fate, and the draft talent that’s available when you DO have those high picks. Will Byfield and Clarke turn out to be special players over the next decade? I certainly hope so, otherwise we will just be the Ottawa senators or Buffalo sabres.

Also, if any of you see Kopi or Drew on the street next week, tell them to maybe try the PWHL.

Tix sure will be cheap and seats will be empty if this all were to happen. Assuming Blake is gone, we'll find out what the new guy plans on doing. Could be the most interesting offseason in LA in many years.

Back
Top Bottom