PLD Buyout

Trevor Moore was significantly worse than Dubois in the playoffs and they both stunk.
When you say stuff like this and it is impossible to take you seriously.

SeasonAgeTmLgGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPGSHGGWGSOGSPCTTSATOIATOIFOWFOLFO%BLKHITTKGV
2023-2428LAKNHL5101-141000156.7278416:5410100.031130
2023-2425LAKNHL51010201000425.0127414:50303347.612413

SeasonAgeTeamLgGPGAPTSSOGBAMISSTSASThr%FOWFOLFO%HITBLKTKGV
2023-2428LAKNHL510115662755.610100.011330
2023-2425LAKNHL51014441233.3303347.624113

SeasonAgeTeamLgGPTOICFCACF%CF% relFFFAFF%FF% reloiGFoiSH%oiGAoiSV%PDOoZS%dZS%
2023-2428LAKNHL584.5968353.60.1695953.93.236.5784.190.657.142.9
2023-2425LAKNHL574.2836954.61.4474650.5-1.4311.1391.9103.069.230.8

Neither was significantly worse. Moore had a lousy start to the playoffs but he didn't take dumb penalties in the close games at the end.

According to everything I heard, Blake is sticking around. And if he's sticking around, PLD isn't getting bought out. Which means they need to utilize him better. He is responsible for his sh*tty play, but they tried to shove a square peg into a round hole on top of it. He is still more than capable of putting up 60-70 points, but he needs wings that can finish and he needs PP time. I'd be interested in seeing what he could do with Fagemo on his wing.
This is essentially where I’m at too.

We’re stuck with Luc. We’re stuck with Blake. And we’re stuck with Dubois.

Get some new blood on the roster and a coach who can bring some offense out of the team and maybe next season will play out differently.

Neither was significantly worse. Moore had a lousy start to the playoffs but he didn't take dumb penalties in the close games at the end.
Did you see the chop at the end of the period?

Eye test said Moore was garbage. 100% passenger in all 5 games.

The underlying data is nearly worthless. 5 games of stats when half the games were played under significant score effects is all noise.

Or, put him back on the wing?
I'd consider that. Could try something like this:

PLD – Byfield – Laff

Fiala – Kopitar – Kempe

Moore – Danault - Fagemo

FA/Trade – Thomas - Grundstrom

FA/Trade – Doughty

Gavrikov – Spence

Anderson - Clarke

Extras: Turcotte/Lewis/Englund

The first line is gross, but QB and Laff are hard workers so that can compensate some.

The 4th liner added has to come from outside the organization. Will have to be someone big who can fight and skate a regular shift.

I've got Anderson down in the third pairing not as a knock on him but Clarke's really going to need some help. Again will have to go outside the organization for a partner for Doughty.

And I have no answers for goaltending.

He can be traded for a bag of pucks until 7/1
That would be wonderful, but who the heck would take him? I would bet the amount of salary retention required to make him attractive would be more than the buyout.

PLD – Byfield – Laff

Fiala – Kopitar – Kempe

Moore – Danault - Fagemo

FA/Trade – Doughty

Gavrikov – Spence

Anderson - Clarke

The first line is gross, but QB and Laff are hard workers so that can compensate some.

The 4th liner added has to come from outside the organization. Will have to be someone big who can fight and skate a regular shift.

I've got Anderson down in the third pairing not as a knock on him but Clarke's really going to need some help. Again will have to go outside the organization for a partner for Doughty.

I don't think Fagemo will be on the squad next season, nor will Lewis. Put Turcotte on the 4th line, Kings will pick up a winger for the Fagemo spot.

Do tell on the “horribly icky” stuff 😃
He was addicted to pain pills and got busted for possession of Oxy on the boder.

Lombardi and the Kings did him dirty, they released almost nothing aside from leaking that Richards had done some really "icky" stuff and they couldn't comment on what it was exactly but it was really bad and they had to get rid of him. The Kings, through their media mouthpieces, implied that he did something actually bad rather than being about the thousandth or ten thousandth athlete to get addicted to medication. Dean then played his "Get out of Mike Richards" card citing material breach on the contract and the Kings and Richards settled on payment which was around 2/3 of the buyout amount.

According to everything I heard, Blake is sticking around. And if he's sticking around, PLD isn't getting bought out. Which means they need to utilize him better. He is responsible for his sh*tty play, but they tried to shove a square peg into a round hole on top of it. He is still more than capable of putting up 60-70 points, but he needs wings that can finish and he needs PP time. I'd be interested in seeing what he could do with Fagemo on his wing.
This is what I think happens based on no specific insight, just a gut feeling. If he's kept they need to invest in his usage and give him some talented wingers and better opportunities. Him and Danault's roles should have been swapped this year.

I don't think Fagemo will be on the squad next season, nor will Lewis. Put Turcotte on the 4th line, Kings will pick up a winger for the Fagemo spot.
I don't disagree that Fagemo's position there is far from certain. I can see him getting another opportunity. If not in a regular role, then as an additional skater. I have him in there mostly because he's a right shot.

i wonder if they dropped this whole defensive first 1-3-1 thing if players like dubois and probably fiala would shine a lot more. get a good goalie, get a more modern offensive system, and ?? lose in 6 to the oilers maybe. goals.

PLD – Byfield – Laff

Fiala – Kopitar – Kempe

Moore – Danault - Fagemo

FA/Trade – Doughty

Gavrikov – Spence

Anderson - Clarke

I haven't seen enough from Gundstrom this season/playoffs to think he is worth bringing back. Best to offer him up in a trade. Turcotte, on the other hand, should be a fixture on our roster next season (provided he can stay healthy).

I'd suggest something like this:

Fiala - Byfield - Laf
PLD - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Thomas
FA/Trade - Turcotte - Fagemo

After hearing his exit interview, I kind of feel sorry for him. Maybe give him another yeqar to try and fit in with the new coach, system, team.

Let's call it like it is...A buyout is a total sh*tshow for the team, we don't need to be paying off a contract for the next 15 years. I in no way am taking any blame away from PLD, his performance is entirely on him. But that being said, I don't think management, or the coaching staff did a good job of putting him in position to be successful.

Typically, a trade of this caliber slots this player in the #1 center position, with the top wingers on the team, but we also have Anze, so the obvious move is to the #2 center position and line him up with top 6 wingers. In his case, I don't believe this was ever the case, instead we kept Danault at #2, when he is better slotted and was signed to be the #3 guy lending defense with a scoring touch. Again, not taking any blame off PLD, but it seems like he was just dumped into the back half of the rotations with bottom 6 wingers and left alone to play. I would like to know where Blake was in all of this, why wasn't he sitting both coach and player down together and asking why there is no success, that is his dang job!!

Obviously, we don't know what the coaching situation will be moving forward, but I think Blake and Luc need to have a vision of what this team needs to look like from here on. I don't think a rebuild is even something to be talked about, whoever the coach is, be it Hiller or someone else, his vision must match with management and have a system that matches the talent on the roster. I don't think it is that hard, you want your top 2 lines to be the big producers, 3rd line gives you defense, and some scoring and your 4th line needs to be a shutdown line. Special teams looked really good until late in the season, and was absolutely garbage against the Oilers, I shut my eyes every penalty we took. The early season special teams stopped the Oilers, and the question needs to be why not in the playoffs?

Goaltending was a strong point early in the season but faded later into it. Obviously, this must be addressed moving forward, Portillo looks like he can be a #1, maybe not next season, but possibly after that. I'm hoping we can get some help without giving up the farm next season.

Anyway, back to the original thread, I do not want to see a buyout of PLD, was I completely frustrated with his performance, HELL YES!!! He is completely to blame, if he felt he wasn't put in a position to be successful, he should have come forward. I would like to see him slotted to the #2 with Moore and Fiala at his side, or possibly pick up some bigger talented top 6 wingers. If he can't be successful with that, then show him the fricking door. Hopefully the embarrassment of having to answer for his crab play will motivate him in the off season to go above and beyond to get ready for his 2nd season.

I think some tweaking must be done on the defense, not sure this 1-3-1 is the way to go. Clarke must be brought up into the 2nd pairing and I think we need to look for another LD for the 2nd pairing, Englund has been a blessing for toughness, but is keeping more talented players down. I would love to see a possible trade for Broberg with the Oilers, I think he is in need of a change of scenery and has not been able to showcase his talent. If you can get him for a 3rd or 4th next year, since he was a possible release candidate earlier this year and was offered to find himself a trade partner.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on a PLD buyout

A buyout may make sense under these rules if you’re playing pro-hockey manager or something. But Blake is a real person with a real ego, and no way is he going to admit that one of his biggest moves as GM was a total failure after one year. Imagine admitting to making arguably the worst trade/signing in NHL history, cutting the guy, then potentially having to watch him hook on with someone else and potentially be successful. Imagine PL signing on with Edmonton, or maybe worse, Winnipeg, and helping to guide them to a Cup. No way I do that if I’m Blake.

Besides, there are just enough reasons to give him another chance if you’re already inclined to do that. Adjusting to new city/system/teammates. Playing with muckers much of the season. Etc.

I know it’s a unique situation because Blake and Luc are friends, but if an employee came to you and said “I just made an enormous mistake that cost the company assets and millions of dollars, and maybe set us back a few years, but here’s how I can fix it.” I’m pretty sure I would tell him he’s not the right guy to fix it!

I can sympathize with PLD. He is a man with elite athletic skill who doesn't cope well with the pressure of playing his sport at the highest level. I can't imagine that I would be capable of handling the stress any better than he can. It's really not his fault that he is psychologically incapable of getting the most out of his immense talents under the constant pressure of the NHL. There are so many athletes who suffer the same dilemma
It is, however, entirely the fault of the Kings front office for gambling this season (and several future seasons), on being able to "fix him."
He was a malcontent in Columbus, and a malcontent in Winnipeg. On what evidence did Robitaille and Blake think that Dubois would be any different here?
Anybody can talk a good game. "This time it's going to be different." OK, sure, good luck with that

I can sympathize with PLD. He is a man with elite athletic skill who doesn't cope well with the pressure of playing his sport at the highest level. I can't imagine that I would be capable of handling the stress any better than he can. It's really not his fault that he is psychologically incapable of getting the most out of his immense talents under the constant pressure of the NHL. There are so many athletes who suffer the same dilemma
It is, however, entirely the fault of the Kings front office for gambling this season (and several future seasons), on being able to "fix him."
He was a malcontent in Columbus, and a malcontent in Winnipeg. On what evidence did Robitaille and Blake think that Dubois would be any different here?
Anybody can talk a good game. "This time it's going to be different." OK, sure, good luck with that
But Luc can change him baby lol.

Seriously, though; a crippling 8.5mil reclamation project should get you fired in any real corporate structure.

Now, if he was 3-4 million with a 1 year with a show me contract first that would be acceptable since we were losing Vilardi anyway.

IMO they hoped a less-pressuring environment in LA would be the change of scenery he needed. But the contract indeed was a huge gamble and it seems in-depth psychoanalysis of a player is not a common practice when making such deals. It seems it should be...probably not doable though lol.

It was a gamble that - so far - backfired horribly. I guess a team like the Kings needs to rely on gambles instead of playing it safe if they want to compete with current core...

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom