PLD Buyout

That Chychrun situation felt like AZ waited too long and had to take what it got from OTT.

Salary wise there are many players making around what Gavi does, including 6M+ who could play alongside Drew and let Mikey drop to the second pair and support Clarke. Assets to trade wise not sure what it’ll take.
There's another conundrum, who do you play with Doughty? Because right now Mikey being able to eat those minutes while DD is the puck mover of the pair keeps the cost down of pair 1, say you added Shea Theodore (not happening) how would that pair even work? No the issue with pair 2 is that Roy, while he's been productive, doesn't move the puck out of the end vs chipping off the boards. Gavrikov has a much better first pass, which largely comes from his stick work and spacing to be able to gather pucks and then move them, but he's going to get a raise and will be gone no matter what. His problem is that he's a second pair and that's it, not a top pair driver.

For next season Gavrikov could be fine with Clarke, but Clarke would have to be the snarl on the pair. He does have some of that in him but hes not as sturdy as Roy. The bigger issue is they do need someone to take that Gavrikov space if they choose to own rent Gavrikov next year like they did Roy this year.

No matter which way they cut all of this the reality is Clarke's ELC, combined with Spence, Mikey and Englund (or whatever left D on the bottom pair happens) will be incredibly important to bridge the rest of the lineup cap wise. If Blake re-ups Roy at 5-6 million.....well Spence better learn to play the left side with him and be ready for more $1 million dollar goaltending.

For next season Gavrikov could be fine with Clarke, but Clarke would have to be the snarl on the pair. He does have some of that in him but hes not as sturdy as Roy. The bigger issue is they do need someone to take that Gavrikov space if they choose to own rent Gavrikov next year like they did Roy this year.

I would say like low growl instead of snarl....LOL

There's another conundrum, who do you play with Doughty? Because right now Mikey being able to eat those minutes while DD is the puck mover of the pair keeps the cost down of pair 1, say you added Shea Theodore (not happening) how would that pair even work? No the issue with pair 2 is that Roy, while he's been productive, doesn't move the puck out of the end vs chipping off the boards. Gavrikov has a much better first pass, which largely comes from his stick work and spacing to be able to gather pucks and then move them, but he's going to get a raise and will be gone no matter what. His problem is that he's a second pair and that's it, not a top pair driver.

No matter which way they cut all of this the reality is Clarke's ELC, combined with Spence, Mikey and Englund (or whatever left D on the bottom pair happens) will be incredibly important to bridge the rest of the lineup cap wise. If Blake re-ups Roy at 5-6 million.....well Spence better learn to play the left side with him and be ready for more $1 million dollar goaltending.

Agree w playing gavi and clarke.

With whats going on in Toronto, media outlets saying all bets are off, giving the expense of the roster, what about TJ Brodie for the next yr?

Maybe sign McD for the 4th line and trade spence/englund if To truly needs to lower cost. Hard to fathom that they would break up the core 4.

Or Moverare/Englund?

Thank you for articulating so well what I’m concerned about in hanging on to Gavrikov for just one more season. Agreed that’s a fine enough partner for Clarke next season. But all these years of Blake making a whole point of looking for that elusive young LD and here we are. Once he’s gone now what?

As for solutions I admit I don’t know who’s available. And also my own Chychrun wish still comes saddled with concern over what he’s going to get paid, though I do think he and Doughty would work great and that’s one awesome top 4

Who I like is in the Carson Soucy mold. I banged my drum for him a lot last season and now he’s making an affordable 3.5M playing on the second pair for VAN. Would be a perfect protector for Clarke not to mention a very physical player who has higher upside than Englund, both defensively and offensively, despite some dumb penalties.

Going back to goaltender, with that being Blake’s main focus to add, and having a D corps at least for the year in decent shape, I worry he’s tabling the LD issue until the next offseason. Not the end of the world, but would rather address now when you have an LD to give than next year when you don’t.

Thank you for articulating so well what I’m concerned about in hanging on to Gavrikov for just one more season. Agreed that’s a fine enough partner for Clarke next season. But all these years of Blake making a whole point of looking for that elusive young LD and here we are. Once he’s gone now what?

As for solutions I admit I don’t know who’s available. And also my own Chychrun wish still comes saddled with concern over what he’s going to get paid, though I do think he and Doughty would work great and that’s one awesome top 4

Who I like is in the Carson Soucy mold. I banged my drum for him a lot last season and now he’s making an affordable 3.5M playing on the second pair for VAN. Would be a perfect protector for Clarke not to mention a very physical player who has higher upside than Englund, both defensively and offensively, despite some dumb penalties.

Going back to goaltender, with that being Blake’s main focus to add, and having a D corps at least for the year in decent shape, I worry he’s tabling the LD issue until the next offseason. Not the end of the world, but would rather address now when you have an LD to give than next year when you don’t.
I get the feeling Blake thinks he has one big move left due to cap constraints, assets and other factors. In my head it all revolves around the 1st round pick next month.

He has no goalies signed but Talbot wants to come back. So that’s he biggest hole on the roster.

I can see a scenario where he thinks the defense is mostly already set. Gavrikov still has one year left, Clarke is ready to replace Roy. Englund/Moverare were both serviceable this season and Spence made a jump when given a bigger role in the Playoffs. I personally disagree with this assessment but Blake has praised all those players this season at various times so it’s safe to say he like them in their roles.

Most of the free agent forwards moving on can be addressed with internal promotions. Lizotte, Grundstrom, Kaliyev, Lewis will all be replaced with Reign players or a vet minimum signing. I look at someone like Stefan Noesen from Carolina to fill the Lewis role next season. Losing Arvidsson hurts but he missed most of the season any way due to injury. Maybe you can bring him back on a 1 year prove-it deal.

So that leaves Blake with the need for a starting goaltender and a right shot winger to replace Arvidsson. Blake should have about $6M in cap space to address both needs.

Easiest way to fill the hole in net is to take on some other teams expensive or overpaid goalie. I believe this is the route Blake will take. He will trade the #21 pick for a goalie looking for a fresh start. Maybe he’ll get a goalie and a forward to solve both his roster problems.

Markstrom
Merzlikins
Grubauer
Saros
Ullmark
Sorokin
Gibson

Will all be targets imo. One thing I actually trust this organization to do is evaluate goaltenders. Cal Petersen is the outlier. Just about every other goaltender they’ve brought in performs better in LA than anywhere else and it isn’t just the defensive system they run.

I get the feeling Blake thinks he has one big move left due to cap constraints, assets and other factors. In my head it all revolves around the 1st round pick next month.

He has no goalies signed but Talbot wants to come back. So that’s he biggest hole on the roster.

I can see a scenario where he thinks the defense is mostly already set. Gavrikov still has one year left, Clarke is ready to replace Roy. Englund/Moverare were both serviceable this season and Spence made a jump when given a bigger role in the Playoffs. I personally disagree with this assessment but Blake has praised all those players this season at various times so it’s safe to say he like them in their roles.

Most of the free agent forwards moving on can be addressed with internal promotions. Lizotte, Grundstrom, Kaliyev, Lewis will all be replaced with Reign players or a vet minimum signing. I look at someone like Stefan Noesen from Carolina to fill the Lewis role next season. Losing Arvidsson hurts but he missed most of the season any way due to injury. Maybe you can bring him back on a 1 year prove-it deal.

So that leaves Blake with the need for a starting goaltender and a right shot winger to replace Arvidsson. Blake should have about $6M in cap space to address both needs.

Easiest way to fill the hole in net is to take on some other teams expensive or overpaid goalie. I believe this is the route Blake will take. He will trade the #21 pick for a goalie looking for a fresh start. Maybe he’ll get a goalie and a forward to solve both his roster problems.

Markstrom
Merzlikins
Grubauer
Saros
Ullmark
Sorokin
Gibson

Will all be targets imo. One thing I actually trust this organization to do is evaluate goaltenders. Cal Petersen is the outlier. Just about every other goaltender they’ve brought in performs better in LA than anywhere else and it isn’t just the defensive system they run.

How much do you see QB and Spence making next year?

Markstrom
Merzlikins
Grubauer
Saros
Ullmark
Sorokin
Gibson

This is heavily dependent on Q taking a bridge team favorable deal like Mikey did, if they go the full 8 we won't have any cap left.

I don't see a route to any goalie through ufa without dumpster diving.

Markstrom
Merzlikins
Grubauer
Saros
Ullmark
Sorokin
Gibson

I've been in support of Blake but if goes this route, and trades our #1 pick to do so, he should be fired. 3 straight years without a 1st overall pick in the draft, and with as many holes as we have left to fill while salary constrained, is not a recipe for success. This is even more troublesome when it comes to how many picks this draft Blake has already traded away.

Given the goalies on your list, we'd be better off signing one of Talbot or Rittich and keeping our 1st and maybe actually start scouting and drafting goalies for a change (not necessarily with the 1st).

Whether or not to resign Arvidsson is a tough call as we are clearly better with him but will be a better overall team in the long run allowing our future core pieces to get the prime opportunities that he currently has a hold over (such a PP1, and minutes during key situations such as with our goalie pulled). I think at this point we have to move on and give those key moments to Byfield next season.

I still think our key weakness is on D which is going to be further compounded by bringing up Clarke and losing Roy. If we are going to make a move, it needs to be for a big, physical, good skating LD with experience to pair with Clarke. Perhaps that means trading Gavrikov in the process, as others have mentioned.

Now if Blake can trade PLD to the UCKs...it would make us all happy..

1) Kings fans laughing at the UCKs for making the trade
2) Seeing their tears as they realize he's taking Anaheim nowhere

I suspect Blake will just try to limp along next year hoping to make the playoffs and advance a least 1 round. However, bolder action is required unless Byfield somehow goes beserk. Here are some moves he should consider and I admit I haven't even thought about cap space implications:

1. Buyout PLD (duh!)
2. Let Arvy, Lewis and Roy go
3. Trade Trevor Moore
4. Let Lizzote, Kaliyev, Grundstrom go
5. Keep Rittich and Talbot (Portillo isn't anywhere near ready from what little I have seen)
6. Trade Spence (need to find a bigger RHD to play with Englund)
7. Trade Mikey (I know--heresy)

The reality is the current team has some good individual pieces but the sum is considerably less. Just replacing Roy with Clarke will make the D even softer than it is now. I love Mikey but he's McDavid's little beach. You can't have undersized Dmen with no offense. Our Left side D has zero offense and the Right side is just Doughty. If the Kings look like they are in a playoff spot you try to re-sign Gavrikov and if not you trade him at the deadline.

My $0.02

Here are my thoughts.

1. Buyout PLD (duh!) - No, Trade, or keep. New system might be just what he needs.
2. Let Arvy, Lewis and Roy go - Probably
3. Trade Trevor Moore - Not so sure.
4. Let Lizzote, Kaliyev, Grundstrom go - Yes
5. Keep Rittich and Talbot (Portillo isn't anywhere near ready from what little I have seen) - Probably
6. Trade Spence (need to find a bigger RHD to play with Englund) - Disagree
7. Trade Mikey (I know--heresy) - Maybe, but replace with who?

Here are my thoughts.

1. Buyout PLD (duh!) - No, Trade, or keep. New system might be just what he needs.
Get rid of this guy. Trade for what ever you can get. Maybe a package of him and some players below.
Goaltendeding is not the biggest problem. The problem is responsible players.

5. Keep Rittich and Talbot (Portillo isn't anywhere near ready from what little I have seen) - Probably

Here are my thoughts.

I'm assuming PLD is virtually untradeable. Replace Mikey with someone bigger -- a tiny SAH first pairing guy with no offense is terrible. This defense:

MA DD
VG BC
AE JS

is just brutal. Why even bother. Unless, Spence is still growing.

I'm assuming PLD is virtually untradeable. Replace Mikey with someone bigger -- a tiny SAH first pairing guy with no offense is terrible. This defense:

MA DD
VG BC
AE JS

is just brutal. Why even bother. Unless, Spence is still growing.
Funny, Mikey is the last defensemen I would trade from our roster. I do agree, however, that he isn't the ideal top pairing defenseman. I also think Spence remains very underrated, but can't argue that we need to get bigger.

The rest of it, minus the PLD buyout, makes sense.

Get rid of this guy. Trade for what ever you can get. Maybe a package of him and some players below.
Goaltendeding is not the biggest problem. The problem is responsible players.
Have to get rid of Blake. Blake cannot buy him out, probably cannot trade him either. If he does, he is gone. Blake has to keep him.

How much do you see QB and Spence making next year?
Shorter term bridge contract for both.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Fiala/Kopi/Kempe
Byfield(5M)/PLD/Thomas (775K)
Moore/Danault/Laf
Lee (775K)/Turcotte (900K)/Vet Minimum (Austin Watson-type 775K)

Anderson/Doughty
Gavrikov/Spence(2.25M)
Moverare/Clarke
Englund

Talbot (1,000,000)

Salary Cap - 83,500,000
20 Players
According to Cap Friendly this lineup would give Blake $4,311,667 in cap space to fill the starting goalie slot.

Now I happen to believe Blake will use the #21 overall in this draft plus Moore (loses his NTC this summer and he sells high coming off a 30 goal season) to get a starting goalie. If he does trade Moore that's another $4,200,000 in cap space but it creates a hole on the 3rd line.

Something like this?
Trevor Moore
2024 1st Round Pick
Arthur Kaliyev
for
Linus Ullmark (5M Cap hit)
Danton Heinen (RFA. 2-3M cap hit)

This would leave the Kings with about 500K in cap space with 21 players.

Shorter term bridge contract for both.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Fiala/Kopi/Kempe
Byfield(5M)/PLD/Thomas (775K)
Moore/Danault/Laf
Lee (775K)/Turcotte (900K)/Vet Minimum (Austin Watson-type 775K)

Anderson/Doughty
Gavrikov/Spence(2.25M)
Moverare/Clarke
Englund

Talbot (1,000,000)

Salary Cap - 83,500,000
20 Players
According to Cap Friendly this lineup would give Blake $4,311,667 in cap space to fill the starting goalie slot.

Now I happen to believe Blake will use the #21 overall in this draft plus Moore (loses his NTC this summer and he sells high coming off a 30 goal season) to get a starting goalie. If he does trade Moore that's another $4,200,000 in cap space but it creates a hole on the 3rd line.

Something like this?
Trevor Moore
2024 1st Round Pick
Arthur Kaliyev
for
Linus Ullmark (5M Cap hit)
Danton Heinen (RFA. 2-3M cap hit)

This would leave the Kings with about 500K in cap space with 21 players.
Wow, we are going to be mediocre next year.

Keeping Blake and Luc guaranteed that.
There a several excellent coaches available: Gallant, Berube, Boudreau, and possibly Brind'Amour which could take the currently roster and get them past the 1st round. That said, any trade we made needs to sizably move us forward.

Ullmark and Heinen do not when all things are considered such age, cap hit, value and what we'd be giving up to get them.

I do like your idea of flipping Moore while his value is high, hopefully for a large physical player with above average skating (winger or defensemen).

Not sure we will be able to resign Talbot as he has historically been known to be about the money and likely will be asking for a significant pay raise. That said, I'd rather bring back Rittich.

Back
Top Bottom