Pliny the Elder!

jesus, that's like a line at the apple store for their latest thing. i don't have the time or the patience to wait for ANYTHING in a line like that.

How does that work? Kegs of PtY blow the same afternoon they get tapped.

They had a raffle for charity and they are giving away 130 pints of beer. If you have a winning ticket you can come in anytime to get your pint. If you don't have a winning ticket, then you are out of luck.

539829_466696036731426_1997544415_n.jpg

hardcores started lining up for the PLY at Haven Gastropub in Pasadena this morning, at 6AM. the pub opened at 11AM. photo courtesy of Haven.

That's crazy. I live across the street from Haven. I should be on the look out for these things.

Jezzus we were planning on going leaving Redondo around 9 glad something came up and we didn't go

Eureka Burger in Claremont tapped their keg yesterday. THey handled it a little differently than most of the places, and I think it kept the whole event within reason. They announced via Facebook and Instagram the minute it was tapped. The beer was only available in flights of 4 RRBC beers. For $16.00 you got Pliny the Younger, Pliny the Elder, 2 Row Hill 56, and Sanctification. I got there just before 4:00 and met some friends who had a table. At that point the wait for a flight was about 20 minutes, but you could order food and other beers to tide you over. At around 6, they informed us that the wait was about 45 minutes. Every time an order was delivered, they would update you on the wait time, in case you wanted to order another flight. The only thing holding up orders, was the them having flight glasses to serve the beer. I had a nice time with friends, had 2 flights of great beers, and even when I left, the people waiting for tables was no more than would usually be there. As far as the other beers, I have had bot the Elder and Sanctification before, and like them both. I had never had the 2 Row Hill 56 Pale Ale before, but another excellent beer from Russian River.

I had high hopes for R2H56 but I was dissappointed. I love a good session APA but this thing just did not live up to my expectations. Although, I think I should give it another shot...I had it after 3 PTY's, 1 pig, and 1 PTE. My palate was probably destroyed by the prior hoppy beers. What did you think of it? I thought it was overly dry, and lacking on the signature Simcoe hop flavor and aroma. I can find Pig and PTE relatively easy in where I am in Rancho Cucamonga, but I can never find R2H56.

I had high hopes for R2H56 but I was dissappointed. I love a good session APA but this thing just did not live up to my expectations. Although, I think I should give it another shot...I had it after 3 PTY's, 1 pig, and 1 PTE. My palate was probably destroyed by the prior hoppy beers. What did you think of it? I thought it was overly dry, and lacking on the signature Simcoe hop flavor and aroma. I can find Pig and PTE relatively easy in where I am in Rancho Cucamonga, but I can never find R2H56.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I was drinking it immediately after Sanctification. It was a good bridge between the sour and the hops. Eureka had very limited quantities of both that and Younger. Elder is on tap quite a bit there, and you could have a pint of Elder while waiting for the next flight.

Hoppiest beer in the world, not likely. But it is delicious.

I finally tried Pliny The Elder. Wow, pretty strong stuff. I don't know if it's the hoppiest beer I've tried but it's close. They had it at Total Wine & More in Rancho Cucamonga but it was hidden by the checkout counter. I just happened to spot the sign. Anyway, I liked it a lot.

I'd love to try Pliny The Younger but it almost seems like an impossible task. Isn't it about that time though? Reading through this thread it came out last year around February or March.

I'd also love to try Blind Pig but I haven't seen it anywhere around.

I finally tried Pliny The Elder. Wow, pretty strong stuff. I don't know if it's the hoppiest beer I've tried but it's close. They had it at Total Wine & More in Rancho Cucamonga but it was hidden by the checkout counter. I just happened to spot the sign. Anyway, I liked it a lot.

I'd love to try Pliny The Younger but it almost seems like an impossible task. Isn't it about that time though? Reading through this thread it came out last year around February or March.

I'd also love to try Blind Pig but I haven't seen it anywhere around.

If you are on Twitter or Instagram, you might want to follow Eureka Burger. They have both the Elder and Blind Pig on occasion, and I'm sure they will have Younger again this year. You should also check out Claremont Craft Ales. They had their Triple Dude on tap last week, which is an excellent Triple IPA.

Knee Deep Hoparillo is probably the hoppiest beer I've had recently.

I don't believe Russian River distributes Blind Pig to Socal anymore. I believe they still do with Elder but not positive.

Younger is quite excellent but I personally wouldn't jump through hoops to get some, or any of the aforementioned. YMMV. Lots of beers out there on par with them.

Not sure when Eureka go their keg, but they had it tapped just a couple of weeks ago.

For what it is worth, I've heard from a couple of people that this year's batch of Younger isn't quite up to previous years.

Back
Top Bottom