Manor Postgame Tidbits: Kings Lose Game 5, Eliminated by Oilers in RD1 Again

LGKbot

They see me rollin'. They hatin'.
Staff member
Moore_LAEDM_Game5.jpg

It’s over, again.

The Kings 2023-24 season came to a close Wednesday, as they were defeated by the Oilers 4-3. LA has now been eliminated by Edmonton in three consecutive seasons.

Just like they did in Game 4, LA got off to a good start on Wednesday. They grabbed a 2-1 lead early in the second period off goals from Alex Laferriere and Blake Lizotte, both of which were the first career playoff goals for each player.

Alex Laferriere's first playoff goal ties it up!!!!! pic.twitter.com/Q9fxfjp7AV

— x – LA Kings (@LAKings) May 2, 2024

LizzOOOOOOOOOMG pic.twitter.com/5xYmgf3oDp

— x – LA Kings (@LAKings) May 2, 2024

Momentum shifted later on in the period. Edmonton added a power play goal and two even-strength goals just as a pair of man-advantages expired. The calls that led to those opportunities were, well, let’s go with questionable. It may be a talking point amongst Kings fans, and while the officiating was certainly not consistent, LA’s penalty kill simply wasn’t good enough all series.

It’s a disappointing result for the Kings who were never consistent down the stretch after a very promising start to the season. This playoff series probably leaves the organization with many more questions than answers.

Stat Sheet Takeaways: LA’s power play never scored in the series while their penalty kill hovered around 50 percent. Heading into the postseason, it was widely known that special teams would play a huge role in the outcome, and that’s exactly what happened. The Kings ended up on the wrong side of the special teams battle, and did so decidedly.

Big Summer Ahead: The Kings will enter the offseason with around $15 million in cap space. As was discussed on Tuesday’s Kings of the Podcast, however, they will need to sign Quinton Byfield to an extension, find a starting goaltender, and likely add a depth forward and defenseman. Furthermore, LA has a first-round pick for the first time since 2021, at least for now. There’s many different ways in which the Kings could attack their summer and it will be fascinating to see which direction they take. Pressure on the organization to win in the playoffs will only continue to rise heading into next season; the Kings have now not won a playoff series since their Stanley Cup victory in 2014 and it will have been at least 11 years when they get their next opportunity.

There’s Hope: As much as Kings fans may not want to hear this right now, there should be plenty of hope for this team next season. One can expect continued progression from young players such as Quinton Byfield, Brandt Clarke, Alex Laferriere, and Jordan Spence, father time still hasn’t chased down Kopitar and Drew Doughty, and the team itself is going to be motivated as ever after another series loss.

Ending on a Personal Note: The end of the road for the Kings means the end of my first season covering the Kings for Mayor’s Manor. I would like to personally thank John Hoven for this opportunity, placing his trust in me midway through a tumultuous season, and guiding me with his immense knowledge and positivity. Furthermore, writing for Mayor’s Manor alongside my brother, Drew, has been a highlight for us and our family and is something we never envisioned happening. Lastly, thank you to you, the readers for your attention and support throughout the season. Mayor’s Manor has you covered in what is shaping up to be one of the most eventful offseasons in LA in recent memory.

RELATED CONTENT:

Follow @mayorNHL

Instagram

Lead photo by Perry Nelson

Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please remember to include a link to www.MayorsManor.com

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-522840723937225840-1’); });

Comments

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom