Punk...

Alex Brown of Gorilla Biscuits has passed away. he was 52. GB Frontman Anthony Civarelli posted on social media: “The world lost a son, brother, uncle, artist, musician and loving friend this week. I lost my bandmate and friend of over 30 years, a piece of my heart died this week and all I can do is think of all the fun, shows, meals flights and trips we had together. All the late night talks and all the early morning hangs with him and my wife and kids. There will never be another alex brown.” The cause of death was complications following a basal ganglia stroke. Brown had also played in Side by Side and Project X.

Aneurism. When it’s your time, grim reaper comes calling. They’re touring right now too. Very sad. Didn’t know he was that old. Even though I have the Side by Side 7” (1st pressing, of course ��), not a fan. Project X was cool though. GB is one of my all time favorite bands.

I was wondering if anyone else was a fan. As a former DC native, I really want to go. I bought tickets to The Church playing the starfish album at the regent earlier this week.

Did you go to the Dag Nasty show last year? It was great to see them again after 30 years. Sounded great. They did Little Friend by Minor Threat. ��

I’m really considering going to the church show. We’ll see though. I’m going to see Ziggy Marley with Toots & the Mytals in July. At the OC fair.

Alex Brown of Gorilla Biscuits has passed away. he was 52. GB Frontman Anthony Civarelli posted on social media: “The world lost a son, brother, uncle, artist, musician and loving friend this week. I lost my bandmate and friend of over 30 years, a piece of my heart died this week and all I can do is think of all the fun, shows, meals flights and trips we had together. All the late night talks and all the early morning hangs with him and my wife and kids. There will never be another alex brown.” The cause of death was complications following a basal ganglia stroke. Brown had also played in Side by Side and Project X.

Thanks for mentioning this as I hadn't seen the news yet. Man, he was way too young. I saw them on their reunion tour in 2006 and remain a big fan of "Start Today."

unwritten law playing black album in full saturday night in santa ana. what can I say, san diego me is stoked.

Last edited:

Thanks, I missed this as well. So many guys have passed at a young age, very sad.

Looks like the Real McKenzies unfortunately were right.....

Alex Brown of Gorilla Biscuits has passed away. he was 52. GB Frontman Anthony Civarelli posted on social media: ?The world lost a son, brother, uncle, artist, musician and loving friend this week. I lost my bandmate and friend of over 30 years, a piece of my heart died this week and all I can do is think of all the fun, shows, meals flights and trips we had together. All the late night talks and all the early morning hangs with him and my wife and kids. There will never be another alex brown.? The cause of death was complications following a basal ganglia stroke. Brown had also played in Side by Side and Project X.

that was a bummer. only 52. :(
i'm seeing gorilla biscuits in the locker room in garden grove next month.

6 shows in about a week...
2 hot water music shows (2 different albums played in entirety), laura jane grace, 2 balance and composure shows (farewell shows), gorilla biscuits.
so much for slowing down, but if there is anything life has taught me, it's too f***ing short.

thinking about jawbox but that's all the way in july. so far off...
also thought about unwritten law but man, scott russo is SO BURNT OUT. you'll have to let me know how it is. i saw him play solo opening for face to face (acoustic) and he looked fried. that black album is iconic though.

i'm surprised no one is talking about bikini kill. :p

that was a bummer. only 52. :(
i'm seeing gorilla biscuits in the locker room in garden grove next month.

6 shows in about a week...
2 hot water music shows (2 different albums played in entirety), laura jane grace, 2 balance and composure shows (farewell shows), gorilla biscuits.
so much for slowing down, but if there is anything life has taught me, it's too f***ing short.

thinking about jawbox but that's all the way in july. so far off...
also thought about unwritten law but man, scott russo is SO BURNT OUT. you'll have to let me know how it is. i saw him play solo opening for face to face (acoustic) and he looked fried. that black album is iconic though.

i'm surprised no one is talking about bikini kill. :p

I saw unwritten law in agoura last year, and while you can definitely tell Scott has some mileage on him it was still a good show. His brother and Wade being back seem to put some extra energy into the shows. I love the black album (and am hoping one day they'll do an Oz Factor tour too as they pretty much never play any of those songs anymore), so am excited. And Buck O Nine is opening, always a guilty pleasure :)

I thought about Bikini Kill for about two seconds, then learned it sold out within those two seconds.

Last edited:
Some of us never stopped thinking about Bikini Kill. ;)

RAYX.gif

:rockon:

I saw unwritten law in agoura last year, and while you can definitely tell Scott has some mileage on him it was still a good show. His brother and Wade being back seem to put some extra energy into the shows. I love the black album (and am hoping one day they'll do an Oz Factor tour too as they pretty much never play any of those songs anymore), so am excited. And Buck O Nine is opening, always a guilty pleasure :)

I thought about Bikini Kill for about two seconds, then learned it sold out within those two seconds.

so how was it?!
i have friends around other parts of the US that are hoping for a full on black album tour.

in the end, i think bikini kill are playing 5 shows in LA. they had to keep adding dates because the bots bought up all the tickets and it wasn't until the 5th show did they figure out a way to circumvent that. betcha the first 4 shows are going to be dead in attendance...

so how was it?!
i have friends around other parts of the US that are hoping for a full on black album tour.

in the end, i think bikini kill are playing 5 shows in LA. they had to keep adding dates because the bots bought up all the tickets and it wasn't until the 5th show did they figure out a way to circumvent that. betcha the first 4 shows are going to be dead in attendance...
So it was a lot of fun, but Scott's voice was completely thrashed. I took my wife and a couple friends, and they all thought he sounded very very off. Played in Mesa the night before and probably imbibed quite a bit in between. Bummer as I think it ruined it for them. About halfway through the album my wife yelled me that she couldn't stand how he sounded. bleh. But still fun to hear the album in full though. Crowd was super into it. Scott noted after singing Close Your Eyes that he remembers why he hates playing that song (funny enough, I thought his voice actually sounded better when he hit some high notes), and they dedicated Before I Go to the guy who produced the album that has passed on. I guess he also produced Pearl Jam and a few other big 90s bands and they were very WTF when he wanted to produce their black album. They played about 5-6 of their later known hits after finishing the album, then left. No encore as apparently it was Emo night afterwards where a couple guys from Bayside and Taking Back Sunday were going to be DJ'ing. Must've been popular because there was a line down the street of people waiting to get in when we exited.

I now am waiting for the Oz Factor (and Blue Room hits) tour next..

Also, I have a sweet spot for Buck O Nine, and my wife liked them a lot opening so that is good. (She's a pop-country fan so any win is a win). Audio Karate also played, who I didn't know extremely well from way back when, but they sounded fine and did a good cover of Linoleum.

And also also, credit to the Observatory. My old man body can't handle too much drinking these days. But $7 for a Newcastle and $5 for lesser quality beers seemed abnormally cheap for a music venue nowadays. The 1 hour 51 minute drive there from the west san fernando valley though was not fun. I got tickets to see Masked Intruder (yay!) with the Interrupters in April there, but it's on a sunday. Hopefully traffic won't suck quite as bad.

Last edited:
I guess it's a chance to see Tsunami Bomb and Andrew WK at the same show?

warped-tour-25th-anniversary-mountain-view-696x1075.jpeg

I guess it's a chance to see Tsunami Bomb and Andrew WK at the same show?

warped-tour-25th-anniversary-mountain-view-696x1075.jpeg

Whoa. Did my eyes deceive me or is The USED on the tour? That’s hilarious. Pretty sure I purchase both (yes, both)of their albums. Good times.

The Warped Tour, eh? One of my co-workers said he was on the Warped Tour back in the day. I asked him about his act and he was a one-man-band that covered gangster rap songs (yes, he is Caucasian) and he may have dressed up as an Italian organ grinder with a monkey. *giggling* Oh, Stuart.

Got invited to Pennywise/Pulley at the ventura theater saturday night. Was a good time and just about everything you'd expect from a pennywise show.

I try to see Pulley whenever I can. My buddy's only comment was how big Scott Radinsky's neck is. Sounded good, got a good 30-40 minute set with all the "hits".

I admit I know much more about Mariachi El Bronx than The Bronx, but the Bronx boys had a pretty solid crowd jazzed for them.

The flannel shirts and flat billed hats were out in force. Good set that covered start to finish (but a lot from Full Circle and prior). Fletcher claiming Jim will run for president in 2020 and he'll be VP. Played a few crowd requests, some minor threat and bad religion covers, and seemed to be fairly sentimental ("if you keep coming, we'll keep playing. until we die"). Show ended around 12:30-12:45 am and holy crap did I feel old knowing I'd have to pay my babysitter a couple extra hours more than originally planned [so punk].

There also is an irish bar next door (Dagan's I think) that served as a very fine establishment as we couldn't get into the Ventiki tiki bar down the road. I think it's been 15 years since I was last at the ventura theater. Good to hit the town again. MUCH shorter drive than the observatory trek a couple weeks ago.

One Way System, never saw them live, bought tickets but there show was shortly after 9/11 and they decided not to fly out. Been to thier home town in England and walked the streets, pretty cool town! And believe it or not there were actually surf shops there and dudes surfing at the beach!

The Japanese love punk!

This tune kicks ass!

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom