RIP Adam Johnson

rinkrat

Ixnay Uxday
Staff member
Arf Arf
8E2531D4-BBFB-4D44-8AE6-D581557143D7.jpeg

Absolutely horrible. Hockey's a dangerous sport - it's my nightmare to ever see something like this during a game. Even a bad boarding hurts me. So sorry for his family.

RIP.

I've been worried about this happening for decades. Obviously, instances are rare, but they do happen. There is protection available and should be mandated at all levels. Players will get used to it just like they did with helmets and visors.

RIP

The league in Europe he played in prior to this league has mandatory neck guards as equipment. He wore them in that league.

Sadly not in this league.
Who knows if it would have saved him.

It’s horrifically sad.
Stunning loss.

I don't even want to think about someone doing that intentionally, at a tournament a few weeks back we found out from another teams that one of their players had been involved in a last minute altercation of a 6-0 game where one of their kids had been knocked down and then kicked on the ice. Other player was suspended for 1 game and that was it. Crazy. I think that's one of the things that would set me off as a parent to go climb on the ice is seeing something that dangerously stupid.

So sad. I feel for his family and also for everyone there that had to witness that in real time.

Why did his leg fly up like that? That was the strangest thing.
You think that it’s strange that a guy knocked off his skates tried to regain his balance while attempting to brace himself at the same time in an instant while in mid-air?

The only intentional act in that collision was Petgrave intentionally and awkwardly bracing himself for a fall. Suggesting anything otherwise is sharing common cause with some of the most vile hate merchants on social media.

You think that it’s strange that a guy knocked off his skates tried to regain his balance while attempting to brace himself at the same time in an instant while in mid-air?

The only intentional act in that collision was Petgrave intentionally and awkwardly bracing himself for a fall. Suggesting anything otherwise is sharing common cause with some of the most vile hate merchants on social media.
I have watched hockey for 40 years and I can count the number of times on one finger that a skate was at head level like that and then projected forward towards a neck. It looked like a damn MMA kick.

I am not saying it was on purpose. I am saying it looks like it was. The situation is terribly upsetting and hard to look at but the truth is that the player who did this was at best out of control. At worst he is culpable in another man’s death. I would not be surprised if there was at least an investigation.

I don’t see how someone could watch that video and it not at least ask the question of intention.

I have watched hockey for 40 years and I can count the number of times on one finger that a skate was at head level like that and then projected forward towards a neck. It looked like a damn MMA kick.

I am not saying it was on purpose. I am saying it looks like it was. The situation is terribly upsetting and hard to look at but the truth is that the player who did this was at best out of control. At worst he is culpable in another man’s death. I would not be surprised if there was at least an investigation.

I don’t see how someone could watch that video and it not at least ask the question of intention.
No it did not look anything close to or resembling an MMA kick. It looked like a flailing limb caused by an awkward stumble and a reflexive reaction. It’s the simple unfortunate truth.

As someone who has also watched hockey for 40+ years I can tell you that freak accidents happen on the ice all the time when human beings are moving at those speeds. Thankfully those accidents rarely result in death. Unfortunately this accident did.

You know if we could not call people we disagree with vile hate mongers the world would be a much better place. My initial watch of the video left me with the same initial feeling as HTK. However I then recalled I have seen NHL players with their legs that high flailing around after getting clipped. Its just really hard to tell in the sh*tty video exactly what happened but it doesn't take much to lose your balance at that speed.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly tells NHL Network Radio that Gary Bettman has been in contact with Marty Walsh of the PA to get the neck guard issue 'on the radar'. Daly says the NHL is strongly recommending the use of neck guards.

I don't think I'll ever watch the video of this incident. Just typing skate blade and neck makes me sick to my stomach. This was something I always figured would happen eventually. It's extremely unlikely but if there are thousands of hockey games happening every single day all across the globe, the law of averages says that there will be some freak accidents.

Back
Top Bottom