Special teams its about time

Sevenhole

Denver’s #1 Kings fan
TEAM LGK
Looking for a robust conversation about the Kings special not so special teams and the future. We constantly hear about the consistent ?structure? of the NHL and the AHL teams but there is obviously a difference is effectiveness. Understand the difference in talent but when the players have been brought up due to injuries and there is absolutely no difference, what is with the big team coaching. Top team in the AHL, bottom team in the NHL, same ?structure? enormous difference in effectiveness. How does the front office fix this?

Looking for a robust conversation about the Kings special not so special teams and the future. We constantly hear about the consistent “structure” of the NHL and the AHL teams but there is obviously a difference is effectiveness. Understand the difference in talent but when the players have been brought up due to injuries and there is absolutely no difference, what is with the big team coaching. Top team in the AHL, bottom team in the NHL, same “structure” enormous difference in effectiveness. How does the front office fix this?

Great question. As a casual Observer, it seems we hold on the puck too long, lack confidence and decisiveness, refuse to drive the net, force rebounds or do the dirty work in the crease, let alone screen the opposing goalie.

We're really good at Perimeter passing with plenty of chances to get picked off because of predictability.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want Spence on the 1st PP unit. He seems to have all the confidence and decision making that is otherwise lacking. Also, all of Kaliyev, Kupari, Vilardi, Moore should be seeing plenty of PP time.

As far as PK... I have no good solutions with the D-corps we have right now. Can we get one of Scuderi, Mitchell or Greene to come out of retirement? It worked for the Rams...

I liked mixing it up and giving the young guys a go on the second pp last night BUT I thought it was redundant to have Danault on that first line. Note: it worked. So really what do I know? My thinking was to take either Danault or Kopitar and have them Center the second unit with all the kids. Someone to guide them a bit out there and be the calm. Since everything Danault does seems to improve everyone around him it seemed natural to me. That being said, obviously they wanted Kopitar out of the high pressure spot but still there to try and capitalize and build confidence… which did work.

PK? I don’t know - got me.

PP strikes again today with another league leading shortie

I thought the obvious answer is to fire the special teams coaching staff and bring someone else in who knows what the F they are doing, but that's just me.

its not going to be a pretty sight if we keep things the same and end up meeting the oil in the playoffs' ... unless we can go penalty less for a series haha

from the discussion we've had on this already, im of the opinion that this team lacks skill (and confidence)on the PP. That and familiarity. We've seen the team add high to low passing, high slot tips, and generally try what most teams are doing to be successful. Structurally, i dont think they are doing anything wildly outdated. Many teams in the league utilize the long back pass to the guy with speed to enter the zone. The issue, from what i remember seeing is that they seem to struggle moving the puck quickly, and knowing when to shoot vs. when to make the extra pass. And ultimately, the still lack on finish. That's been an issue at 5v5, and i think it is compounded on the PP. They have like three guys seemingly that can shoot the puck right now between Arvidsson, Kempe, and Kaliyev. Durzi has some skill and vision, but his shot has not looked dangerous. They simply do not have elite shooting, and to me, that's the biggest issue with the team right now.

As for the PK, who knows... that's generally been a strong suit for the Kings, and it would follow that they should be pretty solid on PK given how good they are at 5v5 and keeping to the structure. If i had to take a stab, i think it's their lack of size and experience on the blue line, but ive definitely seen some breakdowns from the forwards as well, specifically i can remember several poor reads by Kopitar, which is sort of abnormal. Last season they were nearly 10% higher on PK%, but i think having Edler out, Doughty missing significant time, and just a plethora of young guys on the back end is likely the issue.

As for how the teams differ between the AHL and the NHL, i think you need to realize that the AHL and NHL are completely different beasts. The speed is faster, the skill level is higher, and there simply isnt the same margin for error. Additionally, the Reign would be considered a stacked team. There's a ton of AHL level skill there. The same cannot be said of the Kings. If you look at a guy like Frk, he's completely one dimensional. He has a hard, accurate slap shot. The reason he doesn't play in the NHL is because he doesn't bring anything else to the table. His wrist shot is average at best, he isn't fast. And his play off the puck isn't very good. So, the only way you take advantage of his skill set is to bury him on the 4th line, and feed him passes on the PP. But at the NHL level, those passes need to come fast and accurate, and he needs to one time them to be effective, because there simply isnt as much space at the NHL level. If i think about the shots i remember seeing from him on the PP over the past week or two or however long its been since his last call up, i distinctly remember seeing him stop the puck and then step into the shot. And i distinctly remember seeing his shot get blocked or nearly blocked several times. And teams dont need to respect other Kings shooters as much, so they can effectively remove him on the PP. These are not issues at the AHL level because the competition isnt nearly as strong. At the AHL level, Frk has an eternity to get his shot off. At the NHL level, he does not. And that fact alone makes him significantly less effective.

It sounds silly but, why not at this point?

Practice the power play with 2 pucks in play. It will force everyone to make quicker decisions with the puck.
It could help guys be more instinctual and think less. You watch Tampa's & Edmonton's PP, it looks so easy because they're
not thinking. They just react. We are stagnant and methodical and so easy to defend.

Or, play the pp like a 5 on 5 shift and just outwork the pk with sheer effort.
Or, shoot it into the goalie's feet and just crash with 3,4 guys.
Or, sit Kopi on all special teams so he has something in the tank for the 3rd.
Or, have Frk & Kaliyev set up for one timers on their wings and crash rebounds.
Or, have Frk at the blue line just bombing away and using his one, elite skill to maximum effect, while again, CRASHING for rebounds.
We obviously do not have the ability to be a pretty pp, so make it UGLY with max effort.

It sounds silly but, why not at this point?

Practice the power play with 2 pucks in play. It will force everyone to make quicker decisions with the puck.
It could help guys be more instinctual and think less. You watch Tampa's & Edmonton's PP, it looks so easy because they're
not thinking. They just react. We are stagnant and methodical and so easy to defend.

Or, play the pp like a 5 on 5 shift and just outwork the pk with sheer effort.
Or, shoot it into the goalie's feet and just crash with 3,4 guys.
Or, sit Kopi on all special teams so he has something in the tank for the 3rd.
Or, have Frk & Kaliyev set up for one timers on their wings and crash rebounds.
Or, have Frk at the blue line just bombing away and using his one, elite skill to maximum effect, while again, CRASHING for rebounds.
We obviously do not have the ability to be a pretty pp, so make it UGLY with max effort.

I like this! The simplicity is marvelous and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter Bill Hicks.

Back
Top Bottom