Tales from the beer league part 2

P. Diddy

Sick Geno ya plug
Guess the last one got deleted eh?

Anyway today I played 2 games in 12 hours... Won the first won 7-0 and got a hatty and an apple, the. For my normal team we were down 3-1 all game and I got 2 late ones to tie it at 3 all. I going to sleep for 4 hours now and head up to the rally. Wish me luck?

How's the summer league treating you boys?

RR did a massive purge a few days ago, server was getting too heavy.

Ok something I just noticed but never seemed strange til now. In the final Hank went last, but quick went first in the handshake line. After our games the goalie is pretty much always first in our lines. Not sure if thats specific to norcal or everywhere. Just curious if you guys usually have the same.

Also won 5-1 on the night the Kings won, lost 4-1 on Sunday. Blocked 3 shots in that game and somehow not a one of them got me in the pads. I look like a red headed stepchild.

Ok something I just noticed but never seemed strange til now. In the final Hank went last, but quick went first in the handshake line. After our games the goalie is pretty much always first in our lines. Not sure if thats specific to norcal or everywhere. Just curious if you guys usually have the same.

Also won 5-1 on the night the Kings won, lost 4-1 on Sunday. Blocked 3 shots in that game and somehow not a one of them got me in the pads. I look like a red headed stepchild.

Everyone is different. But for the team I sub for the order is pretty random.

First off, if y'all are living under a rock and haven't seen the info for the charity games click the link!!
http://letsgokings.com/f20/charity_hockey_series_august_2014_ice-462911.html
Good times for a good cause. Hit it up!

So summer seasons are winding down, for the brave souls who partake in the summer leagues how you guys doing? I finally had a falling out with my old team and I'm done, which sucks but what can ya do. How you guys doing?!?

I post in the rink on hf about beer league play but I thought I would start posting here too. Anyone else deal with the guy on your team who won't stop trying to coach you and is yelling the entire game trying to get people to do this and that? I don't mind if the guy is better than me and/or is legitimately trying to help because I'm always open for advice, but he has no points in 3 games while I have 5 and it's just getting annoying at this point. This is my first beer league since playing junior all of my life so I wanted to hear some of you out and see if this is something that's pretty common around these parts.

I post in the rink on hf about beer league play but I thought I would start posting here too. Anyone else deal with the guy on your team who won't stop trying to coach you and is yelling the entire game trying to get people to do this and that? I don't mind if the guy is better than me and/or is legitimately trying to help because I'm always open for advice, but he has no points in 3 games while I have 5 and it's just getting annoying at this point. This is my first beer league since playing junior all of my life so I wanted to hear some of you out and see if this is something that's pretty common around these parts.

I learned as an adult so the levels I play in don't have guys that got a lot of reps as a kid. My higher level team has some guys that played as a kid and there's a lot less yelling for sure. On my lower level team people often ask me for advice only because I've been there so long. I will say using points is a poor barometer though, one of the highest scoring players on the lower level team used to get his points purely through puck hogging and 2-3 minute shifts. He's a good enough skater to play higher levels, but nobody wants to play with him due to the rep he built. He's better now but just an example.

I learned as an adult so the levels I play in don't have guys that got a lot of reps as a kid. My higher level team has some guys that played as a kid and there's a lot less yelling for sure. On my lower level team people often ask me for advice only because I've been there so long. I will say using points is a poor barometer though, one of the highest scoring players on the lower level team used to get his points purely through puck hogging and 2-3 minute shifts. He's a good enough skater to play higher levels, but nobody wants to play with him due to the rep he built. He's better now but just an example.

Ya I agree with what you're saying. To clarify I didn't mean to sound like a dbag when comparing point totals, what I was trying to get at was the guy is the weakest on the team yet the whole game he's ripping guys apart and chewing them out for making the slightest mistake and I can tell the rest of the team isn't having it. If someone wants advice I have no problem helping them out or having someone else explain something to them. This guy is new to the team like myself, not a team rep or anything, so he's just getting on the nerves of the guys who have been on the team for a while. I was too vague in my initial post, but basically I wanted to know if you dealt with these kinds of guys who don't try to help via constructive criticism, rather yell the whole game and just get under everyone's skin. I mean it's beer league not the show I figured everyone would just want to have fun while still being competitive, but I guess these kinds of guys are in all walks of life.

Yeah man it seems every team I play on has that guy. The one I just left, the guy who ran the team was that guy. We even had PP, PK, overtime lines and Shootout line ups. It was cool but also waaaay overboard. We had a locker room sign and scouting reports... A little overboard

Ya I agree with what you're saying. To clarify I didn't mean to sound like a dbag when comparing point totals, what I was trying to get at was the guy is the weakest on the team yet the whole game he's ripping guys apart and chewing them out for making the slightest mistake and I can tell the rest of the team isn't having it. If someone wants advice I have no problem helping them out or having someone else explain something to them. This guy is new to the team like myself, not a team rep or anything, so he's just getting on the nerves of the guys who have been on the team for a while. I was too vague in my initial post, but basically I wanted to know if you dealt with these kinds of guys who don't try to help via constructive criticism, rather yell the whole game and just get under everyone's skin. I mean it's beer league not the show I figured everyone would just want to have fun while still being competitive, but I guess these kinds of guys are in all walks of life.

Ive seen that guy, they tend to go to their next best opportunity.

As an aside I had the opposite kind of thing. Played a horrible first game last night. We are 6th but were playing the 2nd place team (out of 12) and these guys just ate our lunch. Perfect cycling and dropping D down. I was playing D and at least 5 times a goal happened because of a complete brainfart I had in coverage or attempting to get the puck around the boards. One of our guys lit into me and I had nothing for him other than I was playing a **** game. He backed off with, "cmon man work on it out there". It wasn't any kind of happy moment but completely acceptable.

2nd game was a little better, played wing, scored a couple goals and assits, shoulda had a couple more and even though I was dog ass tired I think I ended up a plus 2. They had a couple speed demons that were cherry picking something fierce.

Ive seen that guy, they tend to go to their next best opportunity.

As an aside I had the opposite kind of thing. Played a horrible first game last night. We are 6th but were playing the 2nd place team (out of 12) and these guys just ate our lunch. Perfect cycling and dropping D down. I was playing D and at least 5 times a goal happened because of a complete brainfart I had in coverage or attempting to get the puck around the boards. One of our guys lit into me and I had nothing for him other than I was playing a **** game. He backed off with, "cmon man work on it out there". It wasn't any kind of happy moment but completely acceptable.

I hate it when that happens. Sure sucks the fun out of the game.

I enjoy Pickups and free play more then games now days simply because the lack of over competitive guys who think they know everything during game play.

I took this season off but still check the stat sheets and talk to my friends that are playing (Lakewood Ice, "The Rinks"). The league has been the same 5 teams more or less over the last 3 years, and with 3 seasons a year, some bad blood has developed with most teams. The scoresheets have shown a fight in nearly every game on my old team, countless misconduct and roughing penalties. It kind of makes me not miss playing there at all.

I almost exclusively play roller (only because it's cheaper) and my rink doesn't have any AC. In fact you could probably cook a chicken on the bench for some summer games. I decided this year to take the summer off and enjoy a bit of rest. Also I don't like being dehydrated after one shift. It gets really hot in West Covina. So I don't have any stories about games other than some pickup stuff. No biggie though.
Regarding the player/coach teammate, I used to play on a team where there was a guy that would constantly do this. I became irritated by him and actively mocked him while he was out on the rink. He never got the clue and I stopped playing on that team after one season.

I hate it when that happens. Sure sucks the fun out of the game.

I enjoy Pickups and free play more then games now days simply because the lack of over competitive guys who think they know everything during game play.

I hear ya. Old goalie here. One of the last teams I played on out in my area I joined them about 3/4's into a season. They were a real close knit bunch but I did notice they had an aggressive edge to their game....and I guess a reputation from another rink. As luck would have it, I pulled my groin a bit in my very first game and it became increasingly worse because...as a dummy, I couldn't say no to another team that needed help in their playoff run. I never said anything to my new guys just fearing that they'd quickly think that I was damaged goods. Playoffs now. I didn't have a very good game. One of the more over-competitive/aggressive/game 7 of the Final guys is standing over me after I froze the puck and says, "You have to find the rebounds better." Pissed me off! I'm not the type that calls people out infront of others but got my chance afterwards walking out of the dressing room and told him that I'd gladly hand over my equipment to him so he can play the position. His eyes had that big, surprised look and he started to back peddle saying he didn't mean it, yadda yadda....and that was that. I sort of miss league play but pickups with a couple of private groups is more refreshing these days. I find myself not wanting to commit to a team...if I do, it will be with a bunch of guys that just enjoy playing win or lose.....and I don't think they're really out there.

Playoffs for me this week. Matchups aren't ideal but we'll see. At least our gametimes are not midnight games.

I started playing roller again last month in Huntington Beach. So far so good. Played the first place team last week and they destroyed us. Typically, their worst player had the biggest mouth. It's an over 40 league.

My last game of my 40s tonight. I'll be 50 tomorrow.

I started playing roller again last month in Huntington Beach. So far so good. Played the first place team last week and they destroyed us. Typically, their worst player had the biggest mouth. It's an over 40 league.

My last game of my 40s tonight. I'll be 50 tomorrow.

Happy last day of 40 year old ness

Thought I would post this here since I think a few of you play at the rink in Lakewood.. I had some free time earlier today so I went to stick time there since I work nearby and there were a few players running drills, one dressed in Shark gear from head to toe. They let me join and I realized the guy in the sharks gear was Matt Nieto, which made sense as he is from Long Beach (I just started going to the rink this last year since starting to work nearby so I don't know how common it is to see him there). It was so insane to see how good and fast he was up close, it's literally hard to fathom how they can be that good. His skating, stick-handling, shooting were all out of this world. Pretty random but it was a sweet experience and thought you guys would enjoy hearing about it.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom