The 1974 Stanley Cup Playoffs....50 years ago today

jom

Dorkus Malorkus
I’ve been here a long time but I almost never start a thread. Today I thought it would be fun to start one since it is an “anniversary” of sorts. It was 50 years ago today I went to my first Kings game….FIFTY YEARS (good Lord! Where did the time go?).

Although I didn’t really know it at the time it had been 5 years since the Kings had been in the playoffs (their longest drought not being in the playoffs until just before Dean Lombardi took over here more recently).

It was game 4 of the 1st round of the NHL Playoffs. The Kings were playing the Chicago Blackhawks and down 3-0 in games. Chicago won the night before 1-0 with Tony Esposito (RIP) in goal vs. Vachon. Oddly, in game 4 the teams decided to rest their goalies which I’m sure would never happen today in the playoffs. Even with the back-to-back games. So Gary Edwards got the start for the Kings against a guy named Mike Visor. I remember this since I was a bit disappointed not seeing Vachon play.

The night before the Hawks got an early goal and made it stand so when they scored first again in game 4 it was looking like a repeat. However, Gene Carr (RIP) got a goal for the Kings to tie it up.

Now my recollection of the goal is vague. It was on the other side of the ice so I don’t remember the play at all. However, I do remember the crowd reaction being VERY loud. The Forum could be a loud building at times (which I’d find out in later years) but this night I can only remember my reaction to this being as a sort of “shell shock”…I just remember blanking out for a moment…very weird. It was the first Kings goal at home in the playoffs after being shut out the night before and not being in the playoffs since 1969 so I suppose the fans reacted appropriately. I had been to a few Laker’s games there before this and it was NOTHING like it. Hockey games had a different affect…much more fun.

Anywho, the Kings went on to win the game with Tommy Williams getting a “pure” hat trick in the 3rd period. Unfortunately, the Hawks won game 5 in Chicago to put an end to the Kings season under coach Bob Pulford. They would go on to improve the next few years but with limited success. The team got more offense when Dionne showed up in 1975 but their defensive play lacked (especially after Pulford quit) and the lack of draft picks through the 70s started to effect performance.

Interesting note: the Kings would not play the Hawks in the playoffs again until 2013 Conference Finals when they also lost in 5 games. The Kings GM was Dean Lombardi who happens to be Bob Pulford’s son-in-law.

jom

PS: 50 Years! Are you kidding me?

Thanks for sharing Jom! I’ve always enjoyed you referencing the game prior to my introduction to hockey in the mid 80’s.

Congrats on your golden anniversary. Great stuff. My first season of hockey was 74-75 when the Capitals arrived in DC. The Washington Post had all these Peanuts primers on the rules of hockey that year. That was pretty cool.

Congrats on your golden anniversary. Great stuff. My first season of hockey was 74-75 when the Capitals arrived in DC. The Washington Post had all these Peanuts primers on the rules of hockey that year. That was pretty cool.
The Kings and the Caps were in the same division for 5 or 6 years there. The Norris Division with MTL, PIT and DET. The Caps were pretty bad for a number of years due to a VERY thin expansion draft. WSH and Kansas City got the bottom of the barrel in the 74 expansion draft after most of the better players were taken in earlier drafts in 67, 70 and 72. What the Caps got was pretty bad....the complete opposite Vegas was given in 2017.

jom

Dude - I was at both those games. I remember watching Games 1 & 2 on TV - and amazed at the fans cheering during the anthem. Who Knew?

So, game 3, and I'm clapping during the anthem....I'm the only one (I stopped after awhile. At 15, I was respectful) - Man Tony E was a brick wall. The pent up frustration was released in Game 4 as the Crowns scored.
It was loud.

Unfortunately, we lost game 5 - although I recall Carr getting a goal on a tip (Can't find my car keys - but I remember Geno Carr's playoff goal 50 years ago)

Reactions: jom
Great memory, thanks for sharing Jom!

The Kings did get some sweet revenge in 2014 against the Hawks en-route to the second Stanley Cup Championship!
A nail biting 7 game series Beating Chicago on their ice!

635528751927000532-blackhawks-kings.jpg

May your next 50 years be filled with bells, whistles, and at least another cup dammit :D I believe this to be my 25th year tho I can't be sure when I started. I like to think 1999. I thought 13 years was a "long wait".. I love the old uni's as you can sort of see in my blurry avatar, and love the stories. Thanks for sharing.

The Kings did get some sweet revenge in 2014 against the Hawks en-route to the second Stanley Cup Championship!

635528751927000532-blackhawks-kings.jpg
One could argue that is one of the greatest playoff series ever. Although, some think TOR vs LA in 93 was as well.

jom

Yeah, I know that photo and I find it amazing that it is so clear. How can that be anyway? I'm fairly certain the players are:

#5 Bob Murdoch (RIP)....obviously.
#17 Tommy Williams
#12 Gene Carr (RIP)
I'm pretty sure that is Mike Murphy in the back...he wore #7
#6 Sheldon Kannagesser (what a name!)...not sure of the spelling there.

jom

PS: I'd make a guess that the ref in the background was Andy Van Hellemond....maybe.

I thought I was gonna die of a heart condition during that game 7 overtime at age ~23. All I remember thinking was that the whoever we played next (I dont recall if we knew it was the Rangers at the time) had no chance.

Yeah, I know that photo and I find it amazing that it is so clear. How can that be anyway? I'm fairly certain the players are:

#5 Bob Murdoch (RIP)....obviously.
#17 Tommy Williams
#12 Gene Carr (RIP)
I'm pretty sure that is Mike Murphy in the back...he wore #7
#6 Sheldon Kannagesser (what a name!)...not sure of the spelling there.

jom

PS: I'd make a guess that the ref in the background was Andy Van Hellemond....maybe.

Everybody with the Sher-Wood twigs! I still have a few of them.

One could argue that is one of the greatest playoff series ever. Although, some think TOR vs LA in 93 was as well.

jom
They're both at the very top of greatest ever playoff series. Rangers, Devils 1994 is also there too. Few others come close.

They're both at the very top of greatest ever playoff series. Rangers, Devils 1994 is also there too. Few others come close.
Maybe it was due to me not having to worry about the Kings (since they weren't in it) but the 94 playoffs over all was pretty damn good. The finals were damn good as well. Pavel Bure was within an inch of tying game 7 that would have went to an OT....it would have been classic.

jom

Last edited:
I can wait till it's 50 years after I jumped on the bandwagon when they won their first cup and then jump again two years later. :m&m:

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom