Home Cookin' The BBQ/Smokers/Smoked Meats Thread...

fresh off the shelf jalapenos and pickled in the jar or whatever jalapenos have very different heat contents, just so you know. I myself prefer the former.

btw, DRG, do you have those rub/sauce recipes from that site?

Which ones? I have a few.

Smoked a meatloaf yesterday. Turned out delicious, however since it was my first time making meatloaf and smoking a meatloaf, I'm at a loss knowing if the smoking process added much to the meatloaf. Tastes good, though.
33oig3o.jpg

looks great. we like to use a rectangular foil pan to keep it more firm. 3"W x 2"D x 7"L

what wood did you use?

Pecan. I've only used pecan and apple thus far but neither provide enough smoke flavor for my taste. Anyone ever use maple?

I've yet to use Maple. I rotate between Apple, Cherry, Hickory and Pecan.

Texas Style Rub, Naked Rib Rub and Goodness Gracious BBQ sauce

Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive Barbecue Sauce Recipe

Ingredients
2 Cups Ketchup
1/4 Cup Molasses (If you are using a really strong flavored molasses like Brer Rabbit? reduce amount to
1/8 Cup equivalent to 2 TBS)
3 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
Juice from 1/2 Fresh Lemon (Approx. 2 TBS)
1/2 tsp Tabasco? Brand Hot Sauce
3/8 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Cayenne (Red Pepper)
2 Cloves Minced Fresh Garlic
1 TBS Coarse (Salad Grind) Black Pepper
Note: for a milder sauce, cut the Black Pepper to 1/2 TBS instead of a full TBS. This sauce will get more intense
in flavor as it sits in the fridge for a day or two.

Instructions
In a small sauce pan add the ketchup and the molasses then using the same measuring cup add the
Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and Tabasco mixing it all around to make sure all ingredients end up in the sauce
pan and are not left in the bottom of the cup.
Add the dark brown sugar and the cayenne to taste. Note: the cayenne will strengthen in flavor as the sauce cools so
it is wise to add a little less than you think is enough. The above amounts are suited to my personal taste but I have a
very southern tongue and may be too spicy for some.
The dark brown sugar can be modified slightly as well if you tend to like a sweeter or less sweet sauce.
I recommend making your first batch exactly to the recipe and then modifying sweetness and heat on later batches
according to the varying tastes of you and your family.
The 2 cloves of fresh garlic should be minced into very small pieces but not so small that it becomes juice.... you
should be able to see the tiny pieces floating in the sauce when complete. It serves to add good flavor and excellent
texture.
Add the coarse black pepper per the recipe and allow to simmer for 15 minutes to combine the flavors.
Makes about a pint and a half of sauce that is excellent on Beef, Pork and Poultry
Serve warm.

Only sauce I use for pulled pork:

JJ's Finishing Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. Let rest, at room temp, 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together.

Makes 2 1/4 Cup. This is enough for an 8-9 Lb Butt with approx half mixed in and half served at the table.

Here is the rub I use most frequently. I enjoy a sweeter rub with brown sugar. That's just me.

1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated garlic
6 tablespoons granulated onion
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For pork shoulder, I use:

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup American paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Last edited:
Help me,please

I read about it, but live opinions would be of more help. My personal point of view is that the price is too high for the model. I mean, yeah it?s not that important when we speak of smokers, but still the price is really high. Other smokers are more affordable - https://homus.org/smoker-best I didn?t manage to decide which smoker I want to buy yet, I need one which works ok with colder temperatures too (for different kinds of meat). I thought on Camp Chef, but I guess that it?s better to search for a little bit more. Please help me out.

I read about it

I read about it, but live opinions would be of more help. My personal point of view is that the price is too high for the model. I mean, yeah it?s not that important when we speak of smokers, but still the price is really high. Other smokers are more affordable - https://homus.org/smoker-best I didn?t manage to decide which smoker I want to buy yet, I need one which works ok with colder temperatures too (for different kinds of meat). I thought on Camp Chef, but I guess that it?s better to search for a little bit more. Please help me out.

I read about it, but live opinions would be of more help. My personal point of view is that the price is too high for the model. I mean, yeah it’s not that important when we speak of smokers, but still the price is really high. Other smokers are more affordable - https://homus.org/smoker-best I didn’t manage to decide which smoker I want to buy yet, I need one which works ok with colder temperatures too (for different kinds of meat). I thought on Camp Chef, but I guess that it’s better to search for a little bit more. Please help me out.

Have you decided on propane, electric or charcoal? I'm partial to Weber for charcoal, and i hear good things about the masterbuilt for electric.

I read about it, but live opinions would be of more help. My personal point of view is that the price is too high for the model. I mean, yeah it’s not that important when we speak of smokers, but still the price is really high. Other smokers are more affordable - https://homus.org/smoker-best I didn’t manage to decide which smoker I want to buy yet, I need one which works ok with colder temperatures too (for different kinds of meat). I thought on Camp Chef, but I guess that it’s better to search for a little bit more. Please help me out.

As notbob said, Masterbuilt is great for electric smokers (I have the MES30 and love it).

You mentioned "works ok with colder temperatures". By that, did you mean colder weather, or cold smoking temperatures? If you're talking about cold smoking, the MES30 only goes down to 200 or 225 I think. Maybe 175...can't remember, but I can check later. However, I've cold-smoked salmon at ambient temp using an A-Maze-N tray and a mailbox mod, so there's always a way to make something happen.

<--------------- Also has a Masterbuilt Electric "30".

If you do decide to go with Masterbuilt, may I suggest you step up to the 40. Hindsight is 20/20 for me. Whenever my 30 takes a turn for the worst, I'll get a 40 next.

Fired up...err, plugged in my MES30 yesterday to smoke some goods for our delayed Mother's Day celebration for my mom.

• 2 Racks of Baby Backs (darker rub was the Trader Joes Coffee/Garlic rub, other rub was Bone Suckin' Sauce; which has been my favorite thus far).
• 8 Atomic Buffalo Turds, 4 stuffed with pork, 4 stuffed with chicken
• 2lbs of wings (not shown).

And yes, that is a hockey puck on my exterior drip pan, it kept the foil from blowing up.

33102531_10156568239829258_1227996987480080384_n.jpg

33092172_10156568750059258_6768811910956580864_n.jpg

Fired up...err, plugged in my MES30 yesterday to smoke some goods for our delayed Mother's Day celebration for my mom.

• 2 Racks of Baby Backs (darker rub was the Trader Joes Coffee/Garlic rub, other rub was Bone Suckin' Sauce; which has been my favorite thus far).
• 8 Atomic Buffalo Turds, 4 stuffed with pork, 4 stuffed with chicken
• 2lbs of wings (not shown).

And yes, that is a hockey puck on my exterior drip pan, it kept the foil from blowing up.

33092172_10156568750059258_6768811910956580864_n.jpg

Why is the lower set of ribs growing a leg? On second inspection...they both are!

Back
Top Bottom