Booze The recommend-a-beer thread

DRG, have you tried KRBC's Long Swim? it's a fantastic brew, if I must say so. got a growler filled with that as well as another with Dirty Hippie. wench and I just polished it tonight. the Long Swim will go well with the family for Thanksgiving. they love the Citras.

we also tried the fried pickles. daaaamn! their mac n bleu cheese appetizer was pretty good.

Last edited:
Quite good, but for me the yeast is running over the other flavors of the beer. Not necessarily in a bad way, mind you.
jaj5h5.jpg

I forgot about this forum!

Long time, no post in this forum. I see a few names I recognize from when I used to post. Used to get good info from y'all. Given that HomeIce is such a drag, well, the Kings are a drag this season, I should probably come back here to start posting. So, first post back, I'll let you all know that I may be able to offer some even better input here now that I'm part of the beer industry.

Yep, Nov. 2014 I literally unplugged my computer and phone and quit telecom for good. Left it to join a small brewery and I am now working at Central Coast Brewing in SLO. So if any of you decide to come up to SLO, be sure to hit me up so that I can get you some recommendations.

And given that this is a recommend a beer forum - let me recommend Monterey St. Pale Ale from Central Coast Brewing. We took down a Silver in the American Pale Ale category at GABF this year (which I was fortunate enough to attend). That is on the heels of us taking the Gold in that same category last year with the same beer. Very hard to medal in with the same beer in consecutive years.

PS - sorry for such a large image. I need to brush up on how to size things for this forum.

Monterey_Street_Pale_with_medal_pic.jpg

I'm not really into the wild ales and sours, but I just had a Smog City limited realease call Incurable Optomist that was pretty good.

Long time, no post in this forum. I see a few names I recognize from when I used to post. Used to get good info from y'all. Given that HomeIce is such a drag, well, the Kings are a drag this season, I should probably come back here to start posting. So, first post back, I'll let you all know that I may be able to offer some even better input here now that I'm part of the beer industry.

Yep, Nov. 2014 I literally unplugged my computer and phone and quit telecom for good. Left it to join a small brewery and I am now working at Central Coast Brewing in SLO. So if any of you decide to come up to SLO, be sure to hit me up so that I can get you some recommendations.

And given that this is a recommend a beer forum - let me recommend Monterey St. Pale Ale from Central Coast Brewing. We took down a Silver in the American Pale Ale category at GABF this year (which I was fortunate enough to attend). That is on the heels of us taking the Gold in that same category last year with the same beer. Very hard to medal in with the same beer in consecutive years.

PS - sorry for such a large image. I need to brush up on how to size things for this forum.

Monterey_Street_Pale_with_medal_pic.jpg

APA is my favorite style. I'll defiantly be hitting you up when I make my way up there.

KRBC is releasing another batch of Citra DIPA in 22 oz bottles next month. same lottery system. 12 pack again which I wish were just plain 6. hope they decide to downsize soon since they've already completed the expansion.

Had a couple pours of Barley Forge Fusty Puckett winter warmer. If you like the idea of a beery cinnabon cinnamon roll, I highly recommend it. Blew me away.

Had a couple pours of Barley Forge Fusty Puckett winter warmer. If you like the idea of a beery cinnabon cinnamon roll, I highly recommend it. Blew me away.

I had that at Brew Ho Ho last month. it was pretty syrupy.

That a good thing or a bad thing? I like my darker beers to have a body like a plus size model. Thick and voluptuous. Or are you commenting on the sweetness?

Has any one tried one these places that supplies all the equipment you need to do your own brew? It includes everything from start to finish and they keep an eye on it and offer guidance.

http://www.zymurgybrewworks.com/

Last edited:
Went to a small bottle share Sunday night and had my share of meh to decent beers. I did have ONE beer that stood out from the rest - and from a lot of other beers I've had the last few months. Connor from The Ale Apothecary. It's an American Wild Ale (sour, aged in Pinot barrels with marionberries) made in collaboration with Mason Ale Works out of SD. I haven't read up much on it, but it was absolutely delicious. Clocks in at 9%, but it drinks more like a 5% beer. Crazy good. Balanced, fruity, just a slight bit of funk. I understand from talking to our head brewer that these guy's beers are super hard to come by and really expensive. So be warned if you seek it out. Apparently it will set you back a pretty penny. But I will say this - it is probably worth it to seek out just to have some because it was very impressive and I am rarely impressed by any beers these days. I like tons of beers, but I don't get floored too often any longer. I was kinda floored by this one. Cheers!

Went to a small bottle share Sunday night and had my share of meh to decent beers. I did have ONE beer that stood out from the rest - and from a lot of other beers I've had the last few months. Connor from The Ale Apothecary. It's an American Wild Ale (sour, aged in Pinot barrels with marionberries) made in collaboration with Mason Ale Works out of SD. I haven't read up much on it, but it was absolutely delicious. Clocks in at 9%, but it drinks more like a 5% beer. Crazy good. Balanced, fruity, just a slight bit of funk. I understand from talking to our head brewer that these guy's beers are super hard to come by and really expensive. So be warned if you seek it out. Apparently it will set you back a pretty penny. But I will say this - it is probably worth it to seek out just to have some because it was very impressive and I am rarely impressed by any beers these days. I like tons of beers, but I don't get floored too often any longer. I was kinda floored by this one. Cheers!

15258577_1727563874228302_6275013465031573504_n.jpg

Sounds really good.

My days of scouring the interwebs and stores for rare beers are numbered. That being said...I'll keep my eyes peeled if I'm ever in OR. :)

For now...I'll stick to Supplication. Never fails.

Last edited:
We have an appointment at zymurgy on Tuesday to brew. We will be making a KRBC Citra clone.

Apparently the recipe for KRBC's Citra requires like 5 different dry hops. This beer is gonna take a while

Beechwood Amalgamator IPA

All you folks in the LA area will have already had this beer many times over I'm almost certain. Lucky folks, you, having Beechwood Brewing available. Somehow a distributor is now selling their beers here in SLO so I grabbed a couple of Amalgamator IPA the other night from my local beer store. Had been bottled 12 days prior so as fresh as we are going to get up here in all likelihood.

We've always admired Julian's work from afar and after having met him a couple of times, you just want to drink his beer. He's a great dude making world class beer. This particular IPA is super delicious, well balanced, wonderful on the nose. It's just what a West Coast IPA is all about in my book. Well done. Highly recommended.
BeachwoodBbqAmalgamatorIPA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom