Booze The wine thread

go, although I really like the Oregon Pinots, I'd say about eight or nine of every 10 bottles of wine I drink is from CA. California absolutely has world class wines. And I definitely like the idea of supporting local products. The only problem I have with CA wines is that I don't want to see too much more good agricultural land converted to vineyards. They're not the best land use from an environmental perspective.

I know that. Actually I am a land use planner, although for a City not the county where vineyards are placed. Behind firefox, I am supposed to be looking/working on a map with a whole bunch of parcels on it!

One could say any development is not good from an environmental perspective.

Read this mindnumbing stuff at what land use plans actually do.

http://www.forester.net/sw_0207_stormwater.html

Napa wineries, Sierra Club and CEQA.

http://www.sheppardmullin.com/publications/pubview.cfm?pubID=170

This one is a little less mindnumbing.

TG I don't work in the depths of CEQA.

I know that. Actually I am a land use planner, although for a City not the county where vineyards are placed. Behind firefox, I am supposed to be looking/working on a map with a whole bunch of parcels on it!

One could say any development is not good from an environmental perspective.

Read this mindnumbing stuff at what land use plans actually do.

http://www.forester.net/sw_0207_stormwater.html

Napa wineries, Sierra Club and CEQA.

http://www.sheppardmullin.com/publications/pubview.cfm?pubID=170

This one is a little less mindnumbing.

TG I don't work in the depths of CEQA.

go, I have been lucky enough to be on the periphery of CEQA as well.

As far as the stormwater issue goes, I used to do TMDLs (mercury and metals) for the Regional Water Board in Sacramento, so I'm at least familiar with some of the issues.

I guess you're probably big into the Slow Food movement, huh?

I have not let my children eat fast food. I grow a little bit of veggies in my garden. And I eat at locally owned restaurants.

But I did have a Costco frozen breaded fish yesterday.

for all of you cheap motherf***ers, here you go...

Boekenhoutskloof Wolftrap 2005

a blended red with Syrah, Cinsault, Mourv?rde, and Viognier.

• it's New World (from South Africa)
  • Pinot AND Merlot drinkers should find it suitable
  • it can be paired or had alone.
  • it has a screw top!
  • they are blowing the s*** out of them at Cost Plus for like $5 bucks!!!!

tonight i am grilling some chicken and willing be swilling down a bottle of (a very inexpensive) - Zenato 2004 Pinto Grigio.

for you white winos out there, i'll give you a heads up when i'm done.

tonight i am grilling some chicken and willing be swilling down a bottle of (a very inexpensive) - Zenato 2004 Pinto Grigio.

for you white winos out there, i'll give you a heads up when i'm done.
Cool. I usually steer clear of whites when I grill, even if it's chicken or fish. Or at least I'll drink a bottle of white WHILE grilling and then switch to red with dinner. Another reason charcoal grills rule - more time to drink while the coals heat up!

for all of you cheap motherf***ers, here you go...

If it'll make you feel any better, you can buy me a really nice expensive bottle of wine. You know, just 'cause I'm a nice person like that and stuff.

Cool. I usually steer clear of whites when I grill, even if it's chicken or fish. Or at least I'll drink a bottle of white WHILE grilling and then switch to red with dinner. Another reason charcoal grills rule - more time to drink while the coals heat up!

i hear ya (especially on the drink the white while grilling, then switch)... i do like whites with grilled chicken, but i most definitely prefer reds if i were to roast instead (it may be whatever it is that accompanies the chicken)... i never drink whites with fish though and some pinots pair well. if i'm eating an ?ber white fish, i almost rather drink beer honestly.

If it'll make you feel any better, you can buy me a really nice expensive bottle of wine. You know, just 'cause I'm a nice person like that and stuff.

well, there's cheap and then there's CHEAP. i find $17-20 to be rather inexpensive and definitely worth someone's while.

but i'll do it for you... ;)

I have half a bottle of Old Moon Zin, TJs $6/bottle in my pantry. I think I will finish it tonight before I play Forza2.

Not half bad IMO.

If you'll recall your LGK history, the Great Malbec Craze was Argentine.

The best Pinots are from Washington State. About $30 for a decent bottle.

Many great spanish, argentinian, and chilean grenaches and malbec for $6. Low in tanins, dark in color, rich in cherry and spice.

Jim Fox tells me he's a big wine fan.

Many great spanish, argentinian, and chilean grenaches and malbec for $6. Low in tanins, dark in color, rich in cherry and spice.

Jim Fox tells me he's a big wine fan.

I wonder if Ian Turnbull has tried the Turnbull Zinfindal?

i don't like empirical statements like this... especially those that i completely disagree with.

aside from the fact that i've always known Washington to be more of a great Merlot producer, the furthest north i think have ever heard the term "best" used with regard to a west coast pinot has been probably Oregon's Willamette Valley (Eyrie to be specific). maybe some Washingtonians are sneaking into Portland late at night and stealing s***, who knows.

at any rate, the best Pinots STILL come from France.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but my wife's new favorite and slowly becoming mine:
05CACS_bottle480.jpg

My all time favorite though is a Merlot from Pride Mountain, Paloma
If you are ever in the Napa, I highly recommend a visit to vineyard owners home (Jim and Barbara) for wine tasting in their kitchen overlooking the vineyard.

update!

aw Dog... the Zenato 2004 Pinot Grigio is a TOTAL two-fer!

now i don't have any sort of developed palate for Pinot Grigio, but i CAN tell you that for the price (around $10 bucks or so at Cost Plus), THIS white is fantastic!

not at all dry like Chardonnays and other Pinot Gris/Grigios i have had at that price... i dare say at even more expensive prices as well.

this is a great white should you decide to pair with grilled chicken or fish unless you're going for more of a sweet grill (i guess), and DEFINITELY something you could absolutely wreck while grilling in the early summer evening.

gescom said:
tonight i am grilling some chicken and willing be swilling down a bottle of (a very inexpensive) - Zenato 2004 Pinot Grigio.

"swilling" indeed!

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom