Wayne Simmonds to Be Honored by Flyers

At the time, this was a tough one indeed. Hard to see Simmonds go at the trade for Richards.

Mike helped the Kings get to the promised land, and it cost us a a great guy like Wayne.

Great career for Wayne, mad props!

Hated seeing Simmonds go but the trade was a win for both sides. It’s just too bad Richards had so little tread left on his tires after coming to LA. Live fast die young.

Yeah, hard to prognosticate such a short shelf like so to speak. At least Schenn got to raise the cup, and Taylor too for that matter. Was really happy to see that!

Hated seeing Simmonds go but the trade was a win for both sides. It’s just too bad Richards had so little tread left on his tires after coming to LA. Live fast die young.
Mike had plenty left when he arrived in L.A. The injuries sustained in the 2013 WCF vs. Chicago led to his eventual addiction. Sad frikkin’ story for sure… all the guy did was win.

Mike had plenty left when he arrived in L.A. The injuries sustained in the 2013 WCF vs. Chicago led to his eventual addiction. Sad frikkin’ story for sure… all the guy did was win.

He was a point per game player in 2011-12 before he got his first concussion as a King. He went on to score 18 goals and 44 points that season. And then the long playoff run. Shortened 2013 season and another tough playoffs. Thats it. That was the end of the tread. His tires were bald at 28 years old.

He had two strong regular seasons left in him when he was acquired. He gutted through the 2013-14 regular season and 2nd cup run but he was a shell of himself. Then all the addiction problems came to a head.

He was a point per game player in 2011-12 before he got his first concussion as a King. He went on to score 18 goals and 44 points that season. And then the long playoff run. Shortened 2013 season and another tough playoffs. Thats it. That was the end of the tread. His tires were bald at 28 years old.

He had two strong regular seasons left in him when he was acquired. He gutted through the 2013-14 regular season and 2nd cup run but he was a shell of himself. Then all the addiction problems came to a head.
Memorial Cup, Calder Cup, Stanley Cup, Olympics, World Championship... damn shame how that career ended. All he did was win... until he couldn't.

Him and Palffy were two of my favorite Kings ever. Wish they both could have been part of the Cup seasons, but fate had other plans.

Richards was a warrior and the only jersey I've ever bought. I still wear 10 to games.

Him and Palffy were two of my favorite Kings ever. Wish they both could have been part of the Cup seasons, but fate had other plans.

Richards was a warrior and the only jersey I've ever bought. I still wear 10 to games.
Palffy was one of my favorite Kings ever too. Still wear the Palffy 33 jersey. I often wonder if Allison and Deadmarsh could have stayed healthy if they could have made a run. That line was one of the tops in the NHL for a brief time. I believe Ziggy only made it past the first round once in his career. Terrific player.

Palffy was one of my favorite Kings ever too. Still wear the Palffy 33 jersey. I often wonder if Allison and Deadmarsh could have stayed healthy if they could have made a run. That line was one of the tops in the NHL for a brief time. I believe Ziggy only made it past the first round once in his career. Terrific player.
Yeah, I wonder the same also. The team imo was def good enough to make a run.

Goaltending was a problem that Dave Taylor couldn’t solve.

We had potvin and storr w a pretty strong d corp that included schneider, lubo, miller and norstrom.

and plenty of grit w belanger (ken, not eric) and brennan, not sure if adam mair was still w the team. Thought is was pretty cool what he did for mikko leoranta in the sens game. he got 10 gms for that. Buchberger was also on the team, although he lost a lot of fights.

i remember deader pointing and saying your next, if i remember correctly in the same sens game. had really high hopes and remember the hype. I was actually approached by a finnish media outlet at the time as I watched a lot of practices (my office is a few min walk for the facility back then). was hoping for a different deadline acq instead of ronning.

Memorial Cup, Calder Cup, Stanley Cup, Olympics, World Championship... damn shame how that career ended. All he did was win... until he couldn't.
This is why DL acquired him, not only for his on-ice skills, but his intangibles as well. That trade definitely helped both teams, the Kings in the short term, and the Flyers longer term (though it's easy to argue the Kings got the better of it since it lead to 2 cups).
Still, hard to believe Simmonds is retiring, as it doesn't seem that long ago he was an up and coming player on the Kings. Time continues to march on.

BTW, I hear "Simmer" and still think of Charlie, not Wayne. Am I the only one like that?

This is why DL acquired him, not only for his on-ice skills, but his intangibles as well. That trade definitely helped both teams, the Kings in the short term, and the Flyers longer term (though it's easy to argue the Kings got the better of it since it lead to 2 cups).
Still, hard to believe Simmonds is retiring, as it doesn't seem that long ago he was an up and coming player on the Kings. Time continues to march on.

BTW, I hear "Simmer" and still think of Charlie, not Wayne. Am I the only one like that?

Not just you. It may be a generational thing

Someday Ill get Simmers auto on a puck. Will then have a triple crown line of autographed pucks

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom