2022 NHL Entry Draft

S

Statue4Deano

Lurker
If the Kings hold onto the 19th selection I would love to see them take a home run swing on a high skill forward, preferably a winger.

Looking at the most recent mock draft from The Athletic they have the Kings selecting Isaac Howard a smooth skating, small offensively skilled winger who's committed to attend UMD this fall.

https://theathletic.com/3374958/2022/06/22/nhl-staff-mock-draft/

19. Los Angeles Kings: Isaac Howard, LW, U.S. NTDP-USHL
The Kings have one of ? if not the ? the strongest, deepest prospect pools in the NHL and it puts them in a favorable and enviable spot with their pick, where they can let their current group climb over each other for depth jobs and take a cut on a high-skill, high-upside player for the future. Howard, one of the draft?s most gifted wingers, makes perfect sense for them for those reasons if he?s available. He?s a top-15 talent in this class. He makes a lot of sense for them here. I know he wants to be one-and-done but he could likely be convinced into two college seasons so that he travels along a different timeline than the glut of other kids they?ve got knocking on the door at the moment. ?Scott Wheeler

I don't know if this kid will still be available when we pick but if he is he makes too much sense considering his skill set and the lack of high end skill in the current prospect cupboard.

TSN?s Craig Button has Howard being picked at #32, so hopefully there is a chance we?ll get him!

I'm not opposed to adding size but we know it's much harder and more expensive to acquire skill vs. size. If you start focusing on size and physicality you end up taking Colten Teubert in the 1st round of 2008 instead of guys who went on to have long NHL careers like Erik Karlson, John Carlson, Tyler Myers, Jake Gardiner, Jordan Eberle; etc...

I'm not opposed to adding size but we know it's much harder and more expensive to acquire skill vs. size. If you start focusing on size and physicality you end up taking Colten Teubert in the 1st round of 2008 instead of guys who went on to have long NHL careers like Erik Karlson, John Carlson, Tyler Myers, Jake Gardiner, Jordan Eberle; etc...

That's using the assumption that Pickering or Bischel do not have skill, which isn't the case. There is a reason both are rated within the top 30 in the consolidated rankings (right around where Howard is). I wouldn't be opposed to Howard as we need scorers and he could turn out to be a true home run, it just really depends on what Blake feels he can do in the offseason through free agency/trade. End of the day, Blake needs to fill both a top line scoring role and top LD this offseason.

That's using the assumption that Pickering or Bischel do not have skill, which isn't the case. There is a reason both are rated within the top 30 in the consolidated rankings (right around where Howard is). I wouldn't be opposed to Howard as we need scorers and he could turn out to be a true home run, it just really depends on what Blake feels he can do in the offseason through free agency/trade. End of the day, Blake needs to fill both a top line scoring role and top LD this offseason.

Agreed on that. I’d be real happy with McGroarty and excited about Bischel also. Both bring size and skill. The talk on McGroarty is also a great character player with an edge who has a real shot of panning out as a middle six NHL’er. Would be lucky if either are around at 19.

However, with Chychrun and Fiala on the market and requiring a 1st then one of those is without saying my first choice.

Love flipping the pick for Fiala. Great offensive skill winger in his prime. That's exactly the type of move you make if you're trading out of the 1st round.

Topias Leinonen sounds like an interesting goalie option in the draft. 6'5", drawing comparisons to Pekka Rinne. Projected to go in 3rd round. Would like to see Blake find a big, physical left hand D.

The All the Kings Men Podcast with Yannetti is an excellent listen. Jesse and Zach ask really good questions.

Yannetti talks about a draft where the consensus was to select a player who went on to have a good career, but someone else was taken. He later specifically mentions DL being responsible for the Teubert selection and respecting DL for taking ownership for that. But I think he was talking about two different drafts. My hunch is the first one was the year they took Forbort over Tarasenko. Just a guess on my part as Yannetti doesn't spills the beans.

The All the Kings Men Podcast with Yannetti is an excellent listen. Jesse and Zach ask really good questions.

Yannetti talks about a draft where the consensus was to select a player who went on to have a good career, but someone else was taken. He later specifically mentions DL being responsible for the Teubert selection and respecting DL for taking ownership for that. But I think he was talking about two different drafts. My hunch is the first one was the year they took Forbort over Tarasenko. Just a guess on my part as Yannetti doesn't spills the beans.

I don't think anyone touched it but Yannetti casually throws out that the Kings tried to move back into the 1st last year to draft Jesper Wallstedt who went #20 to Minnesota. Really great interview.

Also I think you're right about Tarasenko because Yannetti mentions something about all the scouts liking a player still on the board but because of where he was from (Russia) they took a different player. Sounds like Dean put his foot down and grabbed the kid that would be easier to sign, sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back