2023 NHL Entry Draft Thread

K

King'sPawn

Lurker
Hi all,

Sorry I've not been around much to post and engage in posts regarding this topic. The explanation - I suck.

Anyway, the next big step in the league is to do the 2023 NHL Entry Draft.

These are their current picks:

No first or 7th round pick, and the third (No. 78) is from Pittsburgh as a result of the Jeff Carter trade.

Dates of the Draft are June 28 (first round) and June 29 (second-seventh round).

I have written several articles on potential prospects the Kings would pick, on Mayor's Manor. I've gotten in trouble for posting articles from there before, so unless I'm given permission, I'll refrain from doing so.

I also have gathered video of several games earlier in the year, and made shift-by-shift videos of different prospects. After the draft, I'm going to try to make more videos on the Kings' picks specifically (if I have video).

Last weekend, there was an article posted about 10 goalies the Kings should target at the draft. Look forward to another article featuring skaters the Kings should target.

I also have a few links if you would like to buy any of the draft guides along with some of my own thoughts (take my thoughts for what it's worth, of course; some of these can be pricey and just want to give you suggestions). Hopefully screenshots will help provide context and info:

Elite Prospects: 2023 Elite Prospects NHL Draft Guide
Comes with your monthly subscription to EliteProspects (I think it's $11.99 a month?), but you should be able to get it for a month. They have a top 136 ranking but have profiles on 400+ players. They contain your basic information on players (height, weight, etc), player cards of some basic analytics, and they rank 6 skillsets (Skating, Shooting, Passing, Puckhandling, Hockey Sense, Physical), and they rank these skillsets on a 1-9 scale. There are then paragraphs more in depth about how they see and evaluate the player. Then there are quotes from scouts they spoke to as well as their own internal reports. They have over 1600+ pages. If you can get this with one month subscription, and you needed just one, this is arguably the most comprehensive and cost-effective guide.
1686883782951.png

Future Considerations: Home - FCHockey
More in-depth with their rankings, as well as additional general articles. However, their analysis and profiles of players are a lot leaner. They rank players up to 300. Once they get to the players, you have 6 profiles per page in column format (like a newspaper). For me, it's a harder read because of this format. For the profiles they have, they have write-ups on the top 200 prospects they ranked.
1686882876699.png

McKeen's Hockey: Home
Prospects ranked up to 224 with accompanying profiles, as well as quite a few fluff articles and mock drafts. In their player write-ups, they have a scouting report on the player as well as a ranking of the player's Skating, Shot, Skills, Smarts, Physicality, and "OFP" (on a scale of 20-80). No explanation on how they define/rank any of these, so it's a little bit less user-friendly.
1686883723314.png

Draft Prospects Hockey: DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY – AN INDEPENDENT SCOUTING SERVICE EVALUATING THE GAMES NEXT GENERATION OF TALENT
Rankings of up to the top 240, but have write-ups on the top 224. The top 64 also has a little bit more information, listing their strengths and weaknesses as well as how they would score their Skating, Shooting, Hands, Hands, Physical, and Defense. At the end they also have a list of the 32 organizations, their current picks for the draft (round only, not specific position), as well as the top 10 prospects for each organization and their U-23 players.
1686884440683.png

Hockey Prospect: HockeyProspect.com - Hockey's Future Stars
I'll be honest. I'm a bit biased as this is my favorite. But I also know it's not for everyone, so I'll try not to oversell it. They try to set up their guide and go through the process each year like they are an NHL team trying to run their own organization. They rank a player's Ceiling, Floor, Hockey Sense, Compete, Skill, Skate, Misc on a scale of 3-9 (these are the actual rankings that an unnamed NHL team uses). What I like most of all is they are very clear in their intro as far as what each ranking is based on. They ranked the top 112 players as if they were an NHL team; but have profiles on around 300 players. They also have rankings for their current top 2024 and 2025 prospects. There is no fluff in this book - but it probably gives you the best insight/process of how their scouts evaluate players and how a team may see the draft. The downside is it's the most pricey at $40.
1686885425996.png

Hopefully this isn't too much of a copyright issue as it's all about the same prospect that the Kings aren't taking anyway that you'd read each time.

I'm going with Easton Cowan as our pick.
I have a lot of players I really like. From the players I've watched closely who have a decent chance at falling to the Kings - I like Gracyn Sawchyn. Smart, good puck control, skilled.

Later in the draft I'd love for them to draft Brady Cleveland. Big, tough, left-handed shot. Stay-at-home type of player.

Blues are dangling 29th pick. Iafallo and one of Madden/JAD/Moverare and a 4th? Probably not going to do it. But would be so cool to get back into the first round this year.

Blues are dangling 29th pick. Iafallo and one of Madden/JAD/Moverare and a 4th? Probably not going to do it. But would be so cool to get back into the first round this year.
I think Durzi alone might actually return a late first. Right-handed defensemen are less common than left, plus he has a good scoring rate and he's still young.

Is it enough for St. Louis? I dunno. But an argument could be made.

I have a lot of players I really like. From the players I've watched closely who have a decent chance at falling to the Kings - I like Gracyn Sawchyn. Smart, good puck control, skilled.

Later in the draft I'd love for them to draft Brady Cleveland. Big, tough, left-handed shot. Stay-at-home type of player.
Gracyn Sawchyn? Is that a person’s real name?

I think Durzi alone might actually return a late first. Right-handed defensemen are less common than left, plus he has a good scoring rate and he's still young.

I could see Durzi alone being enough for a pick that late. Gives me mixed feelings. A Durzi trade feels inevitable at some point, but not sure the timing.

I could see Durzi alone being enough for a pick that late. Gives me mixed feelings. A Durzi trade feels inevitable at some point, but not sure the timing.
100% agree. I hope we hold on to Durzi and, should the decision be to trade him, move him close to the trade deadline. Feels like it is coming down to both he and Spence for that final RD roster spot so hopefully we can give them both time at the NHL level this season, as well as see how Clarke performs, and properly evaluate before moving either.

We were both off, but not by too much.
MTL’s second next year could be near to a late round first.

100% agree. I hope we hold on to Durzi and, should the decision be to trade him, move him close to the trade deadline. Feels like it is coming down to both he and Spence for that final RD roster spot so hopefully we can give them both time at the NHL level this season, as well as see how Clarke performs, and properly evaluate before moving either.
I was with you on this. I was hoping for something a little different like a Durzi-Roy pairing on the third and Spence or Clarke up with Gavrikov. Still, a Spence or Clarke could put up Durzi numbers as soon as this season. And hopefully beyond very soon.

I’m wondering if the working plan is for Bjornfot and Moverare to both make the team and fight for playing time for LD.

I’m wondering if the working plan is for Bjornfot and Moverare to both make the team and fight for playing time for LD.
Makes sense. Essentially the Kings could also interchange them based on the matchup and the need for either additional size or skill. Spence, Bjornot and Moverare all have been patient, put in the work and deserve their shot so it will be nice to see them hopefully get it this season.

Should the Kings just see who performs best in training camp for the 1A/1B job between Villalta and Portillo? Does anyone think Villalta is decent enough?

Should the Kings just see who performs best in training camp for the 1A/1B job between Villalta and Portillo? Does anyone think Villalta is decent enough?
I would be shocked if Villalta is even an AHL starter for Ontario next season.

My guess is they go with a tandem of Portillo and Ingham. And they'll still need some UFA to be a backup.

I'd think the starting job is Ingham's to lose, provided he is healthy. I would like to see Portillo and Villalta battle it out for backup, but it seems Portillo is already pegged for the position. Still not a bad idea to extend Villalta for a year, though, given Ingham's injury history.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back