Alex Laferriere signs PTO then ELC?

B

Butsy

Lurker
I'm not sure about the rules on what is fact and what is a future fact. But according to Seravelli and Hoven Laferriere has signed a PTO to play for Ontario then sign an ELC to play for the Kings the last two games of the year to burn a year off his ELC. Not sure why the Kings haven't announced it yet so I am wary to posting it here. Hence the ?
Is this considered news for this board or is this to be posted elsewhere?

Normally, college players sign a PTO to be able to play in the AHL after their college season ends and then sign a ELC with the NHL team that kicks in the following season. College players who leave college become free agents after a certain date if not signed. So the negotiations with Laferriere must have involved an agreement to have his ELC kick in this year instead of next and he'll be brought in to burn a year of his contract.

There are no plans to actually have him play in a game. Here's an explanation from Hoven:

https://mayorsmanor.com/2023/03/kin...pect-to-elc-heres-the-upcoming-plans-for-him/

"Some may be confused at this point, trying to connect the dots back to Brandt Clarke, and asking how Laferriere will use up a full year of his contract without playing the often-referred to 10 NHL games. The simple answer is, it’s an age thing. Younger players can have their contract ‘slide’ if they don’t play the 10 games. In the case of Clarke, he signed his ELC as an 18-year-old in 2021. His three-year deal won’t actually begin until next season because it was allowed to slide (be placed on hold or moved to the next season) due to his age and lack of NHL games played. The situation with Laferriere is completely different. As an older player, he can no longer have his deal slide. Thus, the first season of his contract will be the 2022-23 NHL campaign, even if he doesn’t play a single game."

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong in saying this but I'm thinking that having him burn an ELC as a 21 year old is the "sacrifice" that is necessary to sign him. Could be worth it, if he's good. Could be whatever, if he doesn't pan out.

And for him, he gets $$$.

Correct me if I'm wrong in saying this but I'm thinking that having him burn an ELC as a 21 year old is the "sacrifice" that is necessary to sign him. Could be worth it, if he's good. Could be whatever, if he doesn't pan out.

And for him, he gets $$$.

Yes, perfect description. Teams will burn the year to get the guy signed so they don't leave as FA like Cal Petersen or Jimmy Vesey or Will Butcher.

If he doesn't pan out, it could be bad for Laferriere. He's giving up a year of coaching and development in the Kings org. He's hoping to get the big payday but he's also moving up the date of when the Kings decide to keep him or turn him loose as a FA.

That said, I think it is largely a moot point. Players who sign ELC at age 18-21 get a 3-year deal. Age 22 and 23 is a 2-year deal. Alex is 21 so he can sign a 3-year deal now with the first year burned or a potential 2-year next spring. Best case, the Kings would get 2 full years to evaluate him under the ELC.

This is the same type of the agreement that the Kings have used for several different college prospects to work as a type of end-around on the signing bonus rules. The highest profile example is Jack Johnson. He wanted to burn off the year of his ELC & apparently wanted guaranteed ice time/spend no time in the minors. It's too bad Jack didn't have better people in his camp. He could've been special.

I’m just glad I’m not a GM. I may design production systems to build airplanes but this sh$$ is beyond my understanding.��

This is the same type of the agreement that the Kings have used for several different college prospects to work as a type of end-around on the signing bonus rules. The highest profile example is Jack Johnson. He wanted to burn off the year of his ELC & apparently wanted guaranteed ice time/spend no time in the minors. It's too bad Jack didn't have better people in his camp. He could've been special.

Jack once refused a conditioning assignment in the AHL when he was here. I think he was coming back from an injury. Crazy. Jeff Carter agreed to a conditioning assignment even after winning a couple of Cups.

JMFJ always rode the laurels of his collegiate career due to athleticism. When it came down to it, he is just another Zac bogosian. Physical specimen who ended up being a mediocre hockey player. Perhaps if he had better guidance, his trajectory could have been different, but I think the Canes cut bait early and the Kings realized they couldn’t fix the problem. Bottom line, the well was already poisoned during his college tenure, or possibly well before that. Not hard to connect the dots when you factor in all the financial nonsense with his parents. They were breeding a race horse, not raising a human and hockey professional. The dude is lucky to have been a secondary piece on a Stanley Cup winner. Far better hockey players have toiled for entire careers and never sniffed the pinnacle.

Oh right, Laferriere. I feel this next wave of talent the Kings have coming through the pipeline will be better goal scorers than our previous wave. In particular, Laferriere, Chromiak, and Pinelli.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back