All Things:BIOPICS

Eight Things We Could All Learn From The Demented Genius Of Roddy 'Rowdy' Piper
http://www.balls.ie/other-sports/ei...e-demented-genius-of-roddy-rowdy-piper/327777

We need a RRP biopic. Who could play him?????

Loved the Rowdy one so much that my room mate, after college, and I named our tiger stripped kitten Rowdy Roddy Piper. Alas the poor tomcat didn't make it past his second year as he refused to be an indoor cat. Living in the foothills of Glendale at the time didn't allow him to avoid the coyotes ...

‘Punisher: War Zone’ Director Lexi Alexander Set to Helm Chris Benoit Drama ‘Crossface’
http://collider.com/chris-benoit-movie-crossface-lexi-alexander/

Academy Award nominated filmmaker Lexi Alexander (Johnny Flinton) has signed on to direct Crossface: The True Story of Wrestling Superstar Chris Benoit. The announcement was made today by producers Alex A. Ginzburg and Tony Lee of Let It Play.

The film is based on the book “Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit & the Fall of the Pro Wrestling Industry” by Matthew Randazzo V, who serves as an executive producer alongside Ram Getz. Crossface tells the true story of former WWE superstar Chris Benoit‘s struggles to maintain his family life while the pressures of wrestling caused him to lose control.

Once a well respected champion of the WWE, Benoit murdered his wife and son before taking his own life. Posthumously, Benoit was diagnosed with CTE, severe brain degeneration, believed to be associated with his career as a wrestler. Lexi Alexander will be directing from a script by Jake Goldberger and Sarah Coulter.

Here’s the official synopsis for When We Rise:

“When We Rise” chronicles the personal and political struggles, set-backs and triumphs of a diverse family of LGBT men and women who helped pioneer one of the last legs of the U.S. Civil Rights movement from its turbulent infancy in the 20th century to the once unfathomable successes of today. The period piece tells the history of the gay rights movement, starting with the Stonewall Riots in 1969.

At first glance, When We Rise looks like a hugely promising gambit. The great Gus Van Sant, who is getting over a critical shellacking over the mediocre but by no means awful Sea of Trees, reteams with Oscar-winning Milk screenwriter Dustin Lance Black for the story of how the LGBTQ (and, eventually, the LGBTQIA) community came to prominence in America. In a bit of a twist, the series is premiering on ABC, with a litany of audacious performers set to play prominent figures in the fight for equal rights, from Guy Pearce and Whoopi Goldberg to Mary Louise Parker and Michael Kenneth Williams. That’s not even mentioning Rachel Griffiths, Rosie O’Donnell, and David Hyde Pierce, and a host of newcomers. It’s a major event series on a network not known for ambition or audacity, and has the chance to be seen even by those who just have basic cable. This could be big.

Not a biopic per se, but a take on the Aurora Theater shootings...

***Isn't seeing this in a theater a questionable thing. I mean, if you were a sociopath with a flare for the ironic...

*** this is not meant in jest, or in any way trying to make light of a horrible moment in history.

Director Taika Waititi Moving from ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ to Michael Jackson’s Chimp’s Biopic, ‘Bubbles’
http://collider.com/taika-waititi-michael-jackson-movie-bubbles/

About a year ago, we reported that Dan Harmon was working on bringing Isaac Adamson’s Black List script Bubbles to the big screen. The bizarre, stop-motion animated project looks at Michael Jackson’s life through the eyes of his pet chimpanzee, Bubbles. Bubbles was adopted from an Austin, Texas research facility and given residence at the Neverland Ranch in 1983. He stayed with Jackson and was a constant companion until he became overly aggressive and was sent to a monkey sanctuary in Florida.

It’s a strange, unique story that will require a thoughtful director to tackle the material, but it looks like Harmon’s Starburns Industries has found the right man for the job. According to Screen Daily, Thor: Ragnarok helmer Taiki Waititi has signed on to direct alongside Fantastic Mr. Fox animation director Mark Gustafson.

michael-jackson-bubbles-1Waititi released the following statement about why he signed on to the project and how he envisions it:

“It’s an idea that fascinates me and one I want to develop further,” Waititi, who made Michael Jackson a central figure in his 2010 award-winning film Boy, said.

“Most people know I’m a huge Michael Jackson fan, so the main thing for me is to make sure it’s respectful of him and his legacy. I’m not interested in making a biopic; I want to focus on telling a story that blends fact and fantasy, about an animal trying to make sense of the world.

“This film is not about Michael Jackson because that’s not a story for me to tell – or a story I’d be comfortable telling – it’s about a chimpanzee’s fascinating journey through the complex jungle of human life.

“I think animation is the only way to approach a story like this. I really loved Anomalisa because it was beautiful and authentic in its meditation on loneliness. I’m really excited to be working with Dan Harmon and Starburns as we share similar sensibilities and want to tell human stories in unique and artistic ways.”

It will be interesting to see how Waititi approaches the material, which is sure to be controversial no matter what despite being an animated movie where the main point of view is from a chimpanzee.

Here’s Our First Look at Elle Fanning as ‘Mary Shelley’

mary-shelley-700x395.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/mary-shelley-movie-first-look/

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back