All Things:Fairytale Movies

jerseydevil

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
Relativity Fills Out SNOW WHITE Cast With the Seven Dwarfs

Relativity’s Snow White Rounds Out Casting

Relativity Announces Nine Actors to Play alongside Roberts, Collins, Hammer, and Lane

(Beverly Hills, CA) May 25, 2011 – Relativity Media has closed deals with Mark Povinelli (Water for Elephants), Jordan Prentice (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle), Danny Woodburn (Watchmen), Sebastian Saraceno (Bedtime Stories), Ronald Lee Clark (Epic Movie), Martin Klebba (Hancock) and Joey Gnoffo (Pirates of the Caribbean series) to play the Seven Dwarfs in its upcoming untitled Snow White feature, directed by Tarsem Singh (Immortals, The Cell). The studio has also cast Mare Winningham (Brothers) as Baker Margaret and Michael Lerner (Elf) as Baron.

The nine actors join the previously announced cast in which Oscar?-winner Julia Roberts plays the Queen, Lily Collins (The Blind Side) plays Snow White, Armie Hammer (The Social Network) plays Prince Andrew Alcott, and Nathan Lane (The Lion King, The Birdcage) plays the Queen’s hapless and bungling servant, Brighton. Pre-production has begun, and principal photography will start in June. The theatrical release date is set for March 16, 2012.

In Relativity’s Snow White, a spectacular reimagining of the classic fairy tale, an evil queen steals control of a kingdom, and an exiled princess enlists the help of seven resourceful rebels to win back her birthright in a spirited adventure comedy filled with jealousy, romance, and betrayal that will capture the imagination of audiences the world over.

Last edited:
I wonder when we'll get a US release date for both Sleeping Beauty movies--the Julia Leigh one and the Catherine Breillat one. I'm not even sure if those count as fairytale movies but both look interesting.

I wonder when we'll get a US release date for both Sleeping Beauty movies--the Julia Leigh one and the Catherine Breillat one. I'm not even sure if those count as fairytale movies but both look interesting.

Of course they do...watch this space, I will take care of ya sir.:ccat:

First Concept Art From Tarsem’s ‘Snow White’ | /Film

In addition, last week ComingSoon ran descriptions of other art, saying that those who appreciate Tarsem?s well-established visual style will find a lot to like.

The look of the forest in which some of the story takes place is classic in design, but the other art ?seems to draw from a wide range of inspiration, including a very Indian-looking palace and several masquerade designs reminiscent of Mardi Gras and old storybook illustrations.?
More than one costume party/masquerade is part of the plot, with bright, colorful costumes and overall design. The Prince (Armie Hammer) ?is seen in a coat and tales costume with (for the party) rabbit ears emerging from his top hat.?
As in Universal?s Snow White film, this Snow White will be a fighter who is part of a few action scenes. ?Exiled from her kingdom, she?s actively trying to win back her rightful throne and combines a blue dress with black, leather armor.?
The seven dwarfs has an identity closely tied to his costume. The site says ?Cowboy wears a cowboy hat, and Wolf is draped in animal skin and another wears a crooked top hat.?

Guillermo del Toro Would Direct ‘Maleficent’ If Disney Asked and Time Allowed | /Film

This is something that will likely go down as a bit of ?what if?? trivia. Despite the fact that scheduling and other factors caused the death of Guillermo del Toro?s Disney Double Dare You deal, it looks like he?s still interested in working for the Mouse. Or, more to the point, it sounds like the fact of not being able to make The Hobbit has left the writer/director with the desire to film a dragon, and doing so through Disney might be one way to scratch that particular itch.

Disney is developing Maleficent, a retelling of Sleeping Beauty from the perspective of the film?s fan-favorite evil witch. And when asked by the LA Times about the idea of directing the film, Guillermo del Toro said,

Let me put it this way, if they ask I?ll take the meeting? I think Maleficent?s dragon is the only design with the wings separate from the front legs, the only time that design has ever worked. And let me tell you how much of a fan I am? It?s one of my three favorite Disney films. I would love to. But I don?t want to put too many hopes on it. They?re probably on a fast track and I cannot take any more projects on a fast track.

Hurm, does this mean that the Haunted Mansion is dead? Should get a GDT update come SDCC time, hopefully.

Touch? Universal, Your SNOW WHITE Dwarf Crew Might Be Rock & Roll | CHUD.com

Running down the list there?s a chance we?ll be seeing Eddie Izzard as the ?burly? Tiberius, Toby Jones as the ?timid? Claudius, Bob Hoskins as the blind Constantine, with Steven Graham and Eddie Marsan also being looked at for unspecified dwarf roles. If most of these casting negotiations go through, then Ian McShane?s Caesar will be leading quite a batch of stout men.

Updated, Graham was in Lock, Stock &, Snatch, and, most recently Pirates. Marsan has been in a bunch of stuff, none of which I can think of offhand(he's one of THOSE guys). The dwarves alone move this way up on the interest list.

OH HELL YEAH!!!!!!!

Nick Frost is the Final Dwarf in ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’ | /Film

Ian McShane is Caesar, the eldest. Stephen Graham is Nero, the angry one. Eddie Izzard is Tiberius, the biggest and burliest. Bob Hoskins is the blind Constantine. Toby Jones is the timid Claudius. Ray Winstone and Eddie Marsan are the twins Trajan and Hadrian.

We?ve heard that Snow White and the Huntsman, which starts shooting soon for a 2012 release, is planned as the first of a trilogy, but those plans may be relatively tentative at this point. Here?s what producer Joe Roth said about the overall approach to tweaking the old tale for this film:

We retain the basic story in the same way we retain the basic story of Alice, a young girl meant to be the queen who is cast out? The Huntsman is a mercenary, in the sense that he?s a guy who is very able in the woods, more able than most anyone. His job is to capture runaway girls, who are all fleeing the kingdom because of the queen. He?s a nondescript bounty hunter, as we first meet him? [Snow White] starts out not a damsel in distress, but innocent, and after 11 years of imprisonment by the Evil Queen, she escapes and learns the ways of a warrior in the woods

Check That: ‘Shaun Of The Dead’ Star Nick Frost Is The Final Dwarf In ‘Snow White And The Huntsman’ | Geeks of Doom

Variety has reported that Nick Frost, star of movies like Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Paul, and Attack the Block, has been cast in the final dwarf role in Universal Pictures? Snow White and the Huntsman. And this is where the confusion sets in?after an amazing list of actors were announced for various dwarf roles, it was thought that the seventh and final role was then filled by Ray Winstone. Now with word of Frost being cast in the final role, heads are being scratched.

Apparently one of the drafts of the script did call for eight dwarfs instead of the expected seven, so that could be the reason why. But the report also fails to mention Eddie Izzard, who was said to be playing the part of Tiberius. Whether there will be eight dwarfs or if Izzard had to drop out it appears we?ll have to wait a bit for an answer to.

I really hope it's eight.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back