All Things:HBO/CINEMAX

jerseydevil

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
Since they are sister stations(both owned by same folks) I thought I'd combine. We have never had a 'max thread before and they are starting with a lot of original programming.

Oh yeah, and that Farewell to Bon Temps special that aired over the weekend not only made me glad True Blood is leaving, it made me want to hunt down and wedgie anyone ever involved with the show.

we had a free preview on uverse this past weekend. Was perfect to tape the finale of game of thrones, kick ass 2, and RIPD

Just watched RIPD and The Way Way Back myself. RIPD was ok but it just felt like a MIB clone. The Way Way Back was pretty good. Great cast

watched Kick-Ass 2 last night. In the middle. It was a lot of fun for sure. But the comedic undertones didn't seem to be nearly as entertaining as the first one. No major bazookas in this one either. The whole thing with Mindy "do i want to be a popular high school girl or kick some butt" was contrived and kind of "blah". I was hoping she would go a little more Carrie on the popular kids. The zapping so they vomit was kind of dumb. She could've had much cooler retribution. But, when she kicks a**, she kicks a**.

Jim Carrey was weird, but kind of funny I guess? But do I really believe the married couple and more or less the Clueless/Scrubs guy would not have been killed in 2 seconds by real criminals? They all took down that asian guy's poker game waaaay too easily.

spoiler alert....

Back to Hit Girl, her fight scene with mother russia was pretty fantastic. Very hulk hogan-esque in getting annihilated before the adrenaline rush and quick victory. Her guardian should've had a fight scene in the movie. I thought perhaps he could've shown up at the end and had an action fight with John Leguizamo (before he met his fate). And was mother f***er's uncle really necessary?

Feels like the kind of movie where if I watch a second time I bet I'll enjoy it even more.

watched Kick-Ass 2 last night. In the middle. It was a lot of fun for sure. But the comedic undertones didn't seem to be nearly as entertaining as the first one. No major bazookas in this one either. The whole thing with Mindy "do i want to be a popular high school girl or kick some butt" was contrived and kind of "blah". I was hoping she would go a little more Carrie on the popular kids. The zapping so they vomit was kind of dumb. She could've had much cooler retribution. But, when she kicks a**, she kicks a**.

Jim Carrey was weird, but kind of funny I guess? But do I really believe the married couple and more or less the Clueless/Scrubs guy would not have been killed in 2 seconds by real criminals? They all took down that asian guy's poker game waaaay too easily.

spoiler alert....

Back to Hit Girl, her fight scene with mother russia was pretty fantastic. Very hulk hogan-esque in getting annihilated before the adrenaline rush and quick victory. Her guardian should've had a fight scene in the movie. I thought perhaps he could've shown up at the end and had an action fight with John Leguizamo (before he met his fate). And was mother f***er's uncle really necessary?

Feels like the kind of movie where if I watch a second time I bet I'll enjoy it even more.

Sounds like you dug it a bit already. Yeah, the one thing is that it's a lot darker this time around...even though they did tone down some from the comic. The stuff with his dad was pretty upsetting. Tonally it was a little all over the place, but yeah...I have seen it a few more times since it's been on Max and it does grow on you.

Just watched RIPD and The Way Way Back myself. RIPD was ok but it just felt like a MIB clone. The Way Way Back was pretty good. Great cast
watched RIPD last night. I actually thought it was pretty fun. Definitely like MIB but with deados instead of aliens. Reynolds and Bridges played well off each other, and Bridges had a few one-liners that were very lol-worthy.

Nothing mind-blowing here. Some cool effects, random humor, and a generic yet highly-unbelievable storyline. Yet I was entertained enough and found the good in it. And Kevin Bacon rules in just about everything.

I liked the Weeds chick and her covered ankles. It was disposable fun.

she could've had a bigger part

Prob'ly did. The one thing I took from that movie is that it reeked of studio interference. Felt, at times, that entire parts of the movie were removed. Oh, and the EGREGIOUS product placement in the scene where she interviews Reynolds for the first time...wow. It was almost as if the studio put it there defiantly. I know that Robert Knepper had to have originally had a bigger part then what was left in. You don't hire a guy like him for what amounted to a cameo. Like I said, it was empty calories fun, but if we are gonna start dissecting it...ooooooooooh boy there is a lot to pick at.

Decent Season Premier of True Blood.

I know y'all watched.

Man, that ending sucked though!!

Decent Season Premier of True Blood.

I know y'all watched.

Man, that ending sucked though!!

NO! And don't take my anger personally, it's just my self loathing from watching this pile of crap. Where to start? Oh SPOILERS, Tara dies off screen. That would normally be a good thing, BUT...SPOILERS...the fact it happened off screen, and Tara's Mom(she doesn't deserve a name) hysterics virtually guarantee that this show will punish us by bringing her back YET AGAIN. As far as the rest of the non events...WHooooooooooooooooooooCARES? A whole lot of nothing performed by wheel spinning one dimensional characters with all the earmarks of the worst soap opera-esque acting. **** this show and FML that I still am drawn to it like watching a race just waiting for the wreckage. Guess what...HBO HATES their subscribers. They could have started 'The Leftovers' last night(starts next week) which looks like it is going to eventually annoy(showrunner has already said something to the effect of 'I hope people care more about the day-to-day than the overall mystery(?????????)) but instead, you get more of the same.

They could have started 'The Leftovers' last night(starts next week)

I know this is a completely stupid reason, but the title of the show makes me think it's going to suck. It just ingrains in my head a show about a bunch of **** that no one wanted but you watch anyway because you're too lazy to go find something that's good.

I know this is a completely stupid reason, but the title of the show makes me think it's going to suck. It just ingrains in my head a show about a bunch of **** that no one wanted but you watch anyway because you're too lazy to go find something that's good.

No, it should be good for a while till the lack of concrete explanations just frustrates and HBO goes all Deadwood/Carnivale' and fails to renew as soon as they start filling you in. The title is a little lame, like it should be some movie about the last kids picked for a _____ team, so no arguments there. Surprising amount of, what appears to be sexual content, considering, and forgive me if I am mistaken, the books this is based on are on the subtle Christian fiction side***. I would tune in, at least for a while...I think it may be worth your time.

***sorry, was thinking of the Left Behind series.(edit)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom