All things:sequels

jerseydevil

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS Movie Posters and Images

sherlock.jpg

I slept thru the first one this morning.:ccat:

PLEASE GET THIS RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Dimension Commissions Two Different Scripts for BAD SANTA 2

The long-awaited sequel to 2003?s fantastically black comedy Bad Santa is getting some serious movement. Star Billy Bob Thornton first told Steve about the project last year, and this past March the actor entered talks to return for a second go-around. Now comes the news that Dimension Films, which is producing the follow-up, has commissioned two writers to pen two different scripts for Bad Santa 2. The studio apparently plans to choose between the screenplays once they?re finished, and may even use the sidelined one for Bad Santa 3. Hit the jump for more.

24 Frames reports that the two screenwriters working on the project are Johnny Rosenthal and John Phillips. They have yet to have a script produced, but Rosenthal sold a period adventure to Sony for $1 million and Phillips recently sold an R-rated comedy called Dirty Grandpa to Universal.

I?m a huge fan of the original Bad Santa, and I?m all for a sequel as long as it?s a hard-R. What made the first one so great was its incredibly dark humor anchored by a great cast that was game for anything. The first film?s director (Terry Zwigoff) and screenwriters (Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, with a little help from the Coen brothers) are not returning for the sequel.

While I?m a little concerned about outsiders coming in and trying too hard to copy the original, hopefully something surprising can come out of the two scripts. With Thornton definitely onboard, it should be interesting to see how many characters from the first film they?re able to bring back. Brett Kelly was spot-on as Thurman Murman (which remains one of the greatest character names ever created in the history of everything), but now he could very well suffer from Jonathan Lipnicki syndrome.

‘Transformers 4 & 5’ May Shoot Back-To-Back, Jason Statham Being Eyed As New Lead > The Playlist

With Shia LaBeouf not planning to come back Variety reports that apparently some names are already being tossed around to lead the next films (yes, there will be more than one it seems, we’ll get to that in a moment). And unfortunately for franchise mainstays Josh Duhamel and Tyrese their names haven’t come up (not too surprising). Instead, it’s none other than skull cracking, runway walking, football playing, ‘Transporter’ and ‘Expendables’ man himself, THE STAFE aka Jason Statham. This rumor has actually been knocking around since the summer, and while it now has a bit more legitimacy to it, there’s still a caveat: it’s still very early days and no offer has been made, so who knows how this will play out. But it is an interesting, half obvious/half surprising choice.

Really??? Statham???

Oh, but wait, there’s more. Writer Ehren Kruger has apparently come up with an idea that the studio likes that could potentially see “Transformers 4” and “Transformers 5” shoot back-to-back. While other studios have gone down that road with success (it’s a great way to keep costs under control on expensive tentpole projects) Paramount surprisingly has never done it, but are toying with the idea. Again, it’s still early in development and writers still need to be found, but even more, Michael Bay may come back—again—to direct. Yes, he still wants to do his lower budgeted, smaller scale bodybuilding world crime flick “Pain and Gain,” but the thinking is that if he manages to knock it out fast, he could climb back aboard to direct ‘Transformers’ in late 2012 or early 2013. We’re not surprised Bay is still interested—directing “Transformers” movies is almost the perfect synthesis of everything in his adolescent teen oeuvre. And it also gives him the opportunity to get as much money as possible to shoot models and **** blowing up. Not a bad gig at all.

Thought I read that he is up for the Fast & Furious franchise too. Don't blame the guy if he takes both...make that money. I still won't be watching no Transformers though.

I will go see all 4 of those movies if he really does end up starring in them and I won't feel bad or guilty about it one single bit. :)

‘X-Men: First Class’ Writers Ashley Miller & Zack Stentz Hired To Pen ‘Top Gun 2’ > The Playlist

”X-Men: First Class” writers Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz have been tapped to pen the script for the sequel, though the announcement is mostly interesting for what it doesn’t mention. For one, Christopher McQuarrie confirmed last year that he had written a script in which Tom Cruise’s Maverick was still a central character saying, “There is no ‘Top Gun 2’ in which Maverick is not the starring role.” There’s no word if Miller and Stentz are rewriting his script or starting from scratch. And what about mooted directed Tony Scott? Yep, no mention of him either. He too was linked to the director’s chair in 2010 and contradicting McQuarrie somewhat, he said it’s not a sequel.

“It’s not even a reinvention, it’s not even a sequel. It’s a re-thinking,” Scott said cryptically. “What inspired me is that the world today is great, it’s so different from the world we touched originally. It’s really run by guys sitting in Nevada on computers playing war games.”

So then, what is this? Reboot, spinoff, reimagining? Who knows. Not even Tom Cruise has committed to anything yet. So don’t get your jets all in a lather just yet. However, Jerry Bruckheimer and David Ellison are producing the project which is set up over at Paramount, so this still is a real deal thing. We’d guess that the picky Tom Cruise is looking for some options and wants the material to be right before he brings Maverick back.

Back-to-Back ‘Independence Day’ Sequels In The Works Even If Will Smith Doesn’t Return > The Playlist

But before anything can happen there is the 50-million-dollar question—what about Will Smith? That’s the amount he’s asking for to reprise his role as Captain Stephen Hiller, and Vulture report that’s not the only caveat the actor has. According to their sources, Smith also wants to shoot close to home and possibly include his wife Jada and daughter Willow in the films. Ugh. But the bigger issue is the actor himself. After seeing the turmoil Sony went through in the expensive, delayed, constantly rewritten “Men In Black 3,” Fox wants Smith to sign off on everything from top to bottom before shooting even begins to make sure they don’t encounter the same shenanigans, and this is something Emmerich confirms Big Willie also seems to want.

“We’ve talked to him, but naturally he wants to see a script, which I totally understand,” the director told The Lantern.

Ridley Scott Will Direct The BLADE RUNNER Sequel!
Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

This is big news for those of us who worship at the altar of BLADE RUNNER. Ridley Scott confirmed with the Wall Street Journal Blog, Speakeasy, that he will, indeed, be helming the sequel to BLADE RUNNER. He told the blog, “I think I’m close to finding a writer that might be able to help me deliver. We’re quite a long way in, actually.”

I'm glad that if we're going to get another BLADE RUNNER film, that it's Ridley Scott who will be making it and not some studio hack brought in just to fill in the gaps. Scott also stated that it's looking like Deckard will not make an appearance in the film. Will we finally know decisively whether or not Deckard is a replicant? Will the past questions be answered? Scott isn't saying, but he did offer this bit about the first film - "Even though people think it’s a cool Philip Marlowe film with Deckard played by Harrison Ford, the film is very much about humanity.” What this means for the sequel is unclear, but I'm certain he'll explore what makes us human in comparison to the replicants in the new film.

We had heard rumors for some time that Scott would be returning to BLADE RUNNER, but this clinchs it, apparently.

I like Blade Runner and all, but...

wait, let me finish this for you...THIS IS GOING TO BEND DOWN, GRAB ITS OWN ANKLES, AND BLOW ITSELF...I agree. Blade Runner was an accident...a beautiful accident, never to be recreated.

Especially not by the current Ridley Scott, who hasn't done a decent movie in... lemme check IMDB... 8 years (5 movies made since then).

I'm hoping Prometheus is good, but at this point, I only have high hopes thanks to the amazing cast.

I don't think that I've really liked a Ridley Scott movie since Gladiator, lol.

What's worse, Scott's boner for Russell Crowe or Martin Scorsese's boner for Leonardo DiCaprio?

I don't think that I've really liked a Ridley Scott movie since Gladiator, lol.

What's worse, Scott's boner for Russell Crowe or Martin Scorsese's boner for Leonardo DiCaprio?

Or...comparing boners.

Joel Edgerton Passes on 300: BATTLE OF ARTEMISIA

Earlier this month, we reported that Joel Edgerton was in talks to star in the 300 sequel, 300: Battle of Artemisia. Edgerton was up to play “Themosticles, the famed archon and general who led the Greeks to victory against the invading Persians in 480 BCE.” But Variety’s Jeff Sneider has tweeted, “UPDATE: JOEL EDGERTON has passed on the 300 sequel.”

That's horribly close to Testiclees...

Back
Top Bottom