All Things: Starz

We had kept Starz in the Television thread, but the people have spoken. Black Sails coming back, Ash vs, The Missing season 2(If you haven't watched s1...PLEASE give it a look...brutal)...welcome to the big leagues Starz!

Tonight...I finally watch the last 2 episodes of Black Sails.

Tomorrow, I start watching Ash vs the Evil Dead.

oh...

MAN.

Black Sails. I am so very glad I held those last 2. Rewatched all of s2 prior...but those last 2 episodes...WOW. Everything came together.From the ABRUPT death of Miranda Barlow to the 'becoming' of Long John Silver, it was almost toooooooo much. I think this show does itself a disservice by being on so early in the year. No Golden Globe nominations??????? Really? Toby Stephens should have been a lock. As he admits in his confession to Barlow...Flint has done some terrible terrible things. While they were done in single handed pursuit of a greater purpose, they are still some sins that just won't wash clean. And yet, Stephens has made a hard man VERY human. Flawed, unapologetic to a fault, and somehow...some way...you just can't help but root for him. That's a tricky thing to pull off. And Silver. Almost the opposite. From the beginning...he felt miscast. Unlikable, morally bankrupt...yet somehow, like he did with the crew and the daily news *THUMPTHUMP*, he has turned my opinion totally around. Flint does not exist without him, and as he is learning he does not exist without Flint and the band of pirates. Just some terrific character work. Jack and Bonny...outstanding. Max, a character I didn't buy for a while...even she is redeemed. Just terrific work across the board. And...it's such a damned beautifully shot show. AND now they are adding Ray Stevenson as Blackbeard? You have to be kidding me. If you are not watching you should be. It is one of the BEST shows on tv.
And fellow sailors, I read that the 4th season is already green lit...so that's great. My only problem...how in the HELL am I going to save the last two episodes for almost a year this time. I cannot see it happening.

And, two episodes into Ash vs Evil Dead. Just fun enough, hits the nostalgia button just enough, to overcome the obvious shortcomings. Looks/feels like a tv show in the worst ways...cheap, clunky...some not so great acting...but...

Raimi knows what folks want. Ash cracking wise. Some old school cheap tricks/practical fx...and Ash's new buddy is kinda cool. Just enough to keep it from feeling like a bad idea. Probably finish the rest today...will let you know if they can sustain the low bar.

Black Sails. ...If you are not watching you should be. It is one of the BEST shows on tv.

I love this show! Started watching at the beginning of Season 2 and knew I had to binge watch Season 1. Fictional characters Flint and Silver integrate perfectly with real life pirates fictionalized in the show: Anne Bonny, Benjamin Hornigold, Jack Rackham, Charles Vane, Ned Low, and Blackbeard. Can't wait for Season 3 with the introduction of Edward Teach (Blackbeard).

oh...

MAN.

Black Sails. I am so very glad I held those last 2. Rewatched all of s2 prior...but those last 2 episodes...WOW. Everything came together.From the ABRUPT death of Miranda Barlow to the 'becoming' of Long John Silver, it was almost toooooooo much. I think this show does itself a disservice by being on so early in the year. No Golden Globe nominations??????? Really? Toby Stephens should have been a lock. As he admits in his confession to Barlow...Flint has done some terrible terrible things. While they were done in single handed pursuit of a greater purpose, they are still some sins that just won't wash clean. And yet, Stephens has made a hard man VERY human. Flawed, unapologetic to a fault, and somehow...some way...you just can't help but root for him. That's a tricky thing to pull off. And Silver. Almost the opposite. From the beginning...he felt miscast. Unlikable, morally bankrupt...yet somehow, like he did with the crew and the daily news *THUMPTHUMP*, he has turned my opinion totally around. Flint does not exist without him, and as he is learning he does not exist without Flint and the band of pirates. Just some terrific character work. Jack and Bonny...outstanding. Max, a character I didn't buy for a while...even she is redeemed. Just terrific work across the board. And...it's such a damned beautifully shot show. AND now they are adding Ray Stevenson as Blackbeard? You have to be kidding me. If you are not watching you should be. It is one of the BEST shows on tv.
And fellow sailors, I read that the 4th season is already green lit...so that's great. My only problem...how in the HELL am I going to save the last two episodes for almost a year this time. I cannot see it happening.

Glad you finally finished! I've said it before and I'll say it again....season 2 of Black Sails is my favorite single season of any tv show ever. It's a beautiful show, the writing is incredible and the acting is phenomenal. Season 2 turned John Silver and Max (the two characters I liked least) into two of my favorites.

This show is INCREDIBLE and everyone needs to be watching it.

Been lucky enough to keep finding the Black Sails/Spartacus nightly marathons on Starz whilst channel surfing the past few days. And, I had forgotten just how good old Spartacus was the first 2 seasons. The first season with poor Andy Whitfield, and Gods of the Arena, which they made while waiting for him to recover, are awesome entertainment. They took the subject matter so serious. Like the bastard offspring of PBS and Skinemax. I Claudius, but with butt stuff. John Hana is soooooooo good. Lucy Lawless too. Just pure unadulterated cheese. And Black Sails...well...none better. I hate watching season 1 cause I still miss Mr. Gibbs so much. Damn you Flint.

Been lucky enough to keep finding the Black Sails/Spartacus nightly marathons on Starz whilst channel surfing the past few days. And, I had forgotten just how good old Spartacus was the first 2 seasons. The first season with poor Andy Whitfield, and Gods of the Arena, which they made while waiting for him to recover, are awesome entertainment. They took the subject matter so serious. Like the bastard offspring of PBS and Skinemax. I Claudius, but with butt stuff. John Hana is soooooooo good. Lucy Lawless too. Just pure unadulterated cheese. And Black Sails...well...none better. I hate watching season 1 cause I still miss Mr. Gibbs so much. Damn you Flint.

Ha, I've been re-watching every night too. The Season 1 finale of Spartacus is probably the most satisfying episode of television I've ever watched. Liam McIntyre did a great job stepping in as Spartacus, but god, I wish Andy Whitfield had been able to finish the whole story. He was just SO unbelievably fantastic. I forgot how great Gods of the Arena was as well. I love that damn show.

And don't even get me started on Black Sails <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Season 3 of Black Sails starts tomorrow. WHO'S READY?!

l2JI5ZCVH0CKl2uDm.gif

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back