***Alt Music Thread***

nocturn

what I am, you shall be
Okay, I started the punk thread some years ago. We need an alt thread now. Go guys...

Can we get a clarification? I have never understood the term Alt Music. By virtue of the term, is it an alternative to music? That doesn't sound very complimentary. Ok, so would the Cult(Sanctuary era) be considered alt, while their more ROCK records are not? As the resident old man/longhair what are some of the intersections of our circles? Alice in Chains...is that considered Alt? I know I have seen them on the Alternative charts, but none of that ever made any sense to me.

I am not trying to insult or take the p*ss here...I genuinely am asking.

Can we get a clarification? I have never understood the term Alt Music. By virtue of the term, is it an alternative to music? That doesn't sound very complimentary. Ok, so would the Cult(Sanctuary era) be considered alt, while their more ROCK records are not? As the resident old man/longhair what are some of the intersections of our circles? Alice in Chains...is that considered Alt? I know I have seen them on the Alternative charts, but none of that ever made any sense to me.

Dude, it's all Alt...

This right?

Or this?

This?

It was all different than mainstream at the time. Could go nuts posting here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seriously though, Alternative was a catch all phrase before people went all hipster and decided to compartmentalize and genre the s*** out of everything. IMHO, the term "Alternative" is exactly that, an alternative to the mainstream crap that was being pushed by the radio stations and producers from the late 70's through around 1995. After that, true Alt kind of took a dump.

"Dreamtime", "Love", and "Electric" are quintessential Alternative, no argument. "Sonic Temple" and beyond, meh...not so much anymore.

"Love" being their Magnum Opus, imho.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back