Analysis of the Kings by an Oiler Analytics Guy

Fun graphics. Actually illustrates the value of Iaffallo that most people overlook.

And look at the balance on the second line. Speaks volumes to their effectiveness.

Very good analysis. Hopefully Mikey pushes Bjornfot out of the lineup because that was a LOT of red in his analysis. All praise the second and their great metrics. Good use of the spider plots too.

Great read!

Arty K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope He gets turned loose tomrrow!

I found this analysis of the Kings on an Edmonton Oiler fan site. It is a well-written and thoughtful piece about the team with analytics peppered throughout. A bit of the info might not be the most up-to-date, but it's still worth a read.

https://oilersnation.com/2022/05/01...g-playoff-series-against-the-edmonton-oilers/

Thanks for posting that!

I'm not a big analytics guy, but man, those numbers actually look about right, if not spot-on. I'd say I agree with everything based on the eye test, especially the physicality. Except for Grundy and Brown, we're weak right across the board...and not for lack of effort. You can't teach big just like you can't teach speed. We got pushed around a lot this season.

Hard to believe it's been 30 years since we've met the Oilers in the playoffs. As many games as I saw the following year, including the finals, I barely had time to watch any games in '92, work-related once again, this time at Sony Studios. Fortunately there was a Mexican restaurant in Culver City that had the games on. Good food too!

Let's hope we have a better outcome 30 years later. We need to figure out a way to get pucks past our old friend Mike Smith, and hope Quick remains in vintage form.

But I think the Kings pull a 1989-type upset and surprise Edmonton. That series...Wayne vs his old team...is still one of my all-time favorites. I was at Game Seven and the Forum had more celebrities at that game than any I had ever attended. Talk about a Hot Ticket...Jack Nicholson, John Candy, Sylvester Stallone, Kathleen Turner, Tom Hanks, Kurt Russell, Goldie Hawn and Ronald Reagan...man that was fun! Hard to believe that was the same building I was in three years earlier when that place was a freakin' virtual ghost town.

Not sure I'll be able to go to any games in the first round, but if we beat Edmonton, my chances of seeing them play the second round look promising. And to get my liver ready for the playoffs, I haven't had a drink in a week. That will change tomorrow...:keg:

Thanks for posting that!

You're welcome.

<snip> Let's hope we have a better outcome 30 years later. We need to figure out a way to get pucks past our old friend Mike Smith, and hope Quick remains in vintage form.

Even if the Kings lose, I'd be more than pleased if they manage to agitate, humiliate, and chase Mike Smith from a couple of games. His behaviour in the final 'Yotes game of the '11-'12 playoffs was disgusting.

Always interesting to see what the outside sees looking at the kings. Definitely a lot of truth in that article. I've said it all year that the Kings can't be a Stanley cup contender playing Lizzote at 12-15 mins a game. Looks like he's going to be the key to getting past the Oil.

Very good analysis. Hopefully Mikey pushes Bjornfot out of the lineup because that was a LOT of red in his analysis. All praise the second and their great metrics. Good use of the spider plots too.

Isn't Bjornfot currently the 9th d-man? I don't think he's even in the discussion.

You're welcome.

Even if the Kings lose, I'd be more than pleased if they manage to agitate, humiliate, and chase Mike Smith from a couple of games. His behaviour in the final 'Yotes game of the '11-'12 playoffs was disgusting.

I remember Smith's meltdown well. He was fuming about Brown's hit on Rozsival. Very unprofessional...even called for a 'lifetime ban' for Brownie...and there was almost a fight in th handshake line.

But what I remember the best is Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick almost getting into an on-air fight arguing about it afterwards:

Here's the final play and the handshake line fiasco. After Penner scores, Smith looks like he's gonna tomahawk chop someone with his stick, but thought better of it:

I personally called the "wahm-bulance" for him that night but I'm not sure they picked him up.

jom

This Right Here. Hopefully it goes like 2012 when Smith was playing for the Yotes.

I could be wrong, as the playoffs are exceedingly unpredictable, especially in regards to goaltending; there’s a very legitimate chance that Mike Smith regresses yet again, and/or Jonathan Quick decides to randomly perform at a Vezina-calibre level.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back