***Arizona Coyotes vs. LA Kings GDT 10/24/23 7:30pm on BSW***

I hope Kempe starts scoring at his last year's pace now. He looks a bit slower and sometimes careless. But... great win tonight. Scoring was spread out. Gavrikov is proving to be an excellent pickup from last year's deadline.

Like Copley of last season. Rebounds. Never a shutout. But makes some big saves when Kings need him to.

Even after the called off goal they go right back to the tiny postage stamp PK with no pressure at all.
Came here to say this. Is it my imagination or does our PK look low energy. Is that by design? We never came out to challenge the passers and they were carving us up with puck movement.

Good win. Kings still have stuff to clean up but these 2 points will be important come April.

4th line was great tonight. 1st PP unit is still ugly even when they score. Lots of passengers tonight but when the overall skill level is so high you can afford to get the occasional clunker from your big money players.

Nice win for Copley. Tonight he was just good enough. Can't ask for much more than that.

First off, sorry to everyone who is already out of the "how many total goals" question....the rest of us are hoping for a very low-scoring game on Friday!

- yay, a home ice win! yay, we beat a team that we should beat handily! Although the Yotes have a lot of great young FAST skaters and Lawson Crouse, who is gigantic and very good. The Kings can't let off the gas on Friday. The speed of the Yotes #1 line was throwing the Kings off all night.

- poor Kempe - you could tell he was pissed that his only 2 goals are EN goals.

- Copley....started off shaky but got much better and more confident as the game went on, so at least he's not turning into Cal 2.0. I wonder if he has new pads or something, because his rebounds were just awful and always landing about 4 1/2 feet in front of him.

- can someone please smack some sense into McLellan re: our PP?? As for the PK, I see some people complaining about the new PK, but it seems to be working, at least. Except Gavrikov had a rough one in the 3rd period. Kept leaving Keller all alone. (I believe this was just before the disallowed goal). The thing with this PK style is that everyone is supposed to be sort of "on their own", covering their 2 guys, which makes it look less agressive, but if you notice, all 4 guys are standing up at the blue line and thwarting a lot of zone entries. I like it.

- the new kabob restaurant (next to LudoBird in what used to be the Budweiser bar) is really good - a tad on the expensive side, but if you love Mediterranean style kabobs, they are delicious. The beef is better than the chicken. I've had both the pita sandwich and the rice bowl, and it's a huge amount of food either way.

As for the PK, I see some people complaining about the new PK, but it seems to be working, at least. Except Gavrikov had a rough one in the 3rd period. Kept leaving Keller all alone. (I believe this was just before the disallowed goal). The thing with this PK style is that everyone is supposed to be sort of "on their own", covering their 2 guys, which makes it look less aggressive, but if you notice, all 4 guys are standing up at the blue line and thwarting a lot of zone entries. I like it.
I didn't notice the standing up at the blue line part, but I'll look for it. The thing that jumped out at me was the stay at home in formation part once the Yotes got set up. The lack of movement seemed to allow passing at will, including crazy cross seam passes because of our lack of movement. Tonight was the first game I watched on a giant TV and not my iPad from work, so I'll have to watch closer going forward. Their PP goal will be studied in both video rooms I would imagine. It was a beautiful goal.

Anyone notice the 4th line started every period and ended the game. Also they essentially started every PK -1. That is trust from your coach. Oh and get 2 goals. "kiNgs hAve arGuaBly tHe bEst 3 liNeS IN hocKeY."

What, 2, 3 and 4??

6 total goals from 4th line in 6 gp.. Nice.....

I didn't notice the standing up at the blue line part, but I'll look for it. The thing that jumped out at me was the stay at home in formation part once the Yotes got set up. The lack of movement seemed to allow passing at will, including crazy cross seam passes because of our lack of movement. Tonight was the first game I watched on a giant TV and not my iPad from work, so I'll have to watch closer going forward. Their PP goal will be studied in both video rooms I would imagine. It was a beautiful goal.

I will say I believe on this disallowed goal that they just let Keller have 4-5 shots in a row. I noticed that during other PK's as well, just letting a guy have the shot 1v1 with the goalie. Seems funky in this age of shot blocking. I watched the Coyotes broadcast - it took about 2 periods to figure out that it was in fact their broadcast. I thought it was the NHL channel or something. Not my favorite, lol. They love Kopi though - "never seems to make a bad play".

Our first line, besides Kopi, looks invisible. IDK if it's just pure shutdown against them. Hope Kempe nets a few soon - he's definitely trying. Byfield is fast, but back to being semi invisible. I'm seeing a bit what he's doing with the big body on the forecheck, which is good. Fiala seems to have the team on his back a bit sometimes. PLD hasn't quite impressed me, especially and maybe only specifically on the PP1. Seems to completely lack creativity. I may be biased. Not grabbing any pitchforks yet. Our defense looked absolutely horrible in the first. Copley made 4-5 huge point blank saves and had some big saves late game as well. I think the more he plays the better he'll get, same with Cam honestly. I think a straight rotation would benefit them both rather than "play til you lose" just to keep them game ready.

We are doing this weird outer zone defense, leaving the slot wide open. Same problem I'm seeing with the PK, in leaving a man wide open. IDK what's up with that. Moore is a beast so far.. just seems to know how to score. Gavrikov is very energetic and a smart defenseman. Good things. A bit fast and loose. I think they expect to allow 3-4 goals a night, but expect to score 4-5, which is different. We have the offensive talent I guess, but locking it down on D would be appreciated. The problem, as we've seen, is against teams whose best players outplay our best, or a hot goalie. That strategy won't always work. But a good game after being down 0-1 at home.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the following posters who correctly guessed there would be 8 minor penalties assessed in the game combined:

CIrvine
jammer06
JayWells24
Byron
empire
Dr. Tran
Rusty
Nyssa42

When I made a comment earlier about a Todd team that could win in the regular season even while not playing particularly well, this is the exact type of game I was talking about. Lizotte's line got some things done, but the rest of the team is not playing like that line is playing. Danault sharing a brain with Moore is great, but its not an identity. Fiala deciding he's going to shoot 10+ times is probably a good plan but not an identity. Its still early and honestly I expected their record to be on the other side of .500 right now so woohoo banking points. They will come in handy later. They better use these next few days of practice to get things sorted, everyone else will be too.

I missed the game last night. Did Fiala make any dumb passes that led to a breakaway? I'm hoping he's past that now.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Englund, in that he is mostly invisible which is a good thing. Of course as time goes by other teams will exploit weaknesses but for now he is doing his job.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom