Big Sean’s Diecast Car Forum

Sean53

TEAM LGK
Okay, so I created this thread for collectors of Diecast cars. Many of us Sports fans are collectors. Trading cards, game used equipment, jerseys, etc. But some of us have other collections as well. Me…I collect Diecast cars. Hot Wheels, Green Light, Matchbox, whatever. I love Muscle Cars the most, and a love for famous movie/television cars as well. Basically, if it’s a car that I love, and know I’ll never own the real thing….diecast cars are the next best thing. So this thread can be used to show off your collection, tell stories of why you chose a particular car, and why you love it so much, and possibly even discuss trades or sales with other collectors! And whether you are a collector, or not, feel free to share stories and reminisce abiut your favorite cars you had as a kid. Or which car you would love to see become a HotWheel! Who knows….it may exist, and you don’t know it, but maybe a collector knows of it, and where you can find it.
I’m gonna be posting pics of my cars randomly, and encourage all you other diecast nerds to do the same thing here!

Last edited:
I’m gonna start with the car that got me collecting cars. One day I saw a picture of a beautiful Blue (with white racing stripes) 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS on Facebook. So I shared it, and jokingly wrote “If any of my friends out there win the lottery, I would appreciate it if you bought this car for me.”.
One of my friends replied back asking me for my address. I didn’t know why. I assumed I was being invited to a birthday party or wedding or something. A few days later, I received a package in the mail from that friend, and inside was this Hot Wheel with the message “I couldn’t get the real thing, but hopefully this will do!”. I thought it was awesome of her to do, and I wondered how she pulled it off so quick. I asked her how she did that, and it turns out her husband collects Hot Wheels, and she remembered seeing it on his collection. She promised me she got his permission to give it to me. So it made me think “hey, this is a great way to own every car I’ve ever wanted!”. So now I have a nice little collection of cars that I’ve always wanted, but could never afford.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Here is the majority of my NASCAR (and one funny car) collection. Unfortunately, my older NASCAR car collection (from the Jeff Gordon era) are still in storage, and I need to get them out, and put the two together! These are my more recent NASCAR cars (post 2000’s), along with one John Force Funny car. I’m not a drag racing guy, but who doesn’t love John Force? Plus the car looks badass!
Special thanks to my brother from another Mother, Steve Raboin, for adding all the Jason Keller cars, including the Premier 1/24th size, and the John Force car! All bad ass, and extremely cool of Steve!

(While taking pics of these cars, I noticed for the first time you can spin the 1/24 Keller car, so you can keep it in the package, and still see every part of the car! Cool stuff!)

Attachments

• IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0856.jpeg
    IMG_0856.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0857.jpeg
    IMG_0857.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0858.jpeg
    IMG_0858.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0859.jpeg
    IMG_0859.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0860.jpeg
    IMG_0860.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0862.jpeg
    IMG_0862.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0864.jpeg
    IMG_0864.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0898.jpeg
    IMG_0898.jpeg
    570.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Okay, so I created this thread for collectors of Diecast cars. Many of us Sports fans are collectors. Trading cards, game used equipment, jerseys, etc. But some of us have other collections as well. Me…I collect Diecast cars. Hot Wheels, Green Light, Matchbox, whatever. I love Muscle Cars the most, and a love for famous movie/television cars as well. Basically, if it’s a car that I love, and know I’ll never own the real thing….diecast cars are the next best thing. So this thread can be used to show off your collection, tell stories of why you chose a particular car, and why you love it so much, and possibly even discuss trades or sales with other collectors! You can even share stories and reminisce abiut your favorite cars you had as a kid.
I’m gonna be posting pics of my cars randomly, and encourage all you other diecast nerds to do the same thing here!
I can’t wait until you share the Dodge Superbird

I was about to start showing off my famous movie cars today, but they’ll have to wait, because I got a special request today by my BFAM Steve “The Hat Guru” Raboin, for one of his favorites! “The Superbird”. Now first I must clarify something. I love all American Muscle Car brands. Chevy, Ford, Plymouth/Dodge, etc.! If they were an American automaker in the 60’s and 70’s, and manufactured muscle cars, odds are they caught my undivided attention. But I’m in no way an expert on any of them. I always assumed that “The Superbird” was another nickname for the Dodge Charger Daytona, but I recently learned that “The Superbird” is actually based on the Plymouth Road Runner, and is “inspired” by the Dodge Daytona”. Very similar, but apparently slightly different?! If I’m wrong on that, please correct me.
Either way, I hope this is what you were wanting to see, Steve….as well as any one else.

The MECUM Auctioins 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona!
Love to watch the MECUM auction shows, so when I saw this diecast car, based on one of MECUM’s biggest buys, I had to have it. Such a cool car anyway, with plenty of history to it, but knowing it’s based on a real car that sold for $346,500, and it only cost me about $12…..how could I possibly pass it up?! 😁

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0905.jpeg
    IMG_0905.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
I have the collector mentality but never got into these. They look pretty cool though, never say never lol. Nice collection, Sean.Thamks Mike!
Thanks Mike! I had a box full of Hot Wheels when I was a kid, and even had the much coveted (then and even more so now!) full set of Ertyl brand Dukes Of Hazzard cars, which included The General Lee, Daisy Duke’s cool Jeep, uncle Jesse’s Truck, Boss Hogg’s convertible Cadillac, Roscoe and Enos’s cop cars, and possibly even Cooter’s Tow Truck. Unfortunately, back then those things were for playing with and nobody thought of collecting them, and keeping them in pristine condition. I destroyed them all. I even found ways to launch the General Lee as far as possible!
Nowadays, a complete Ertyl DoH collection is hard to find, and fetches a nice price!
Then in my twenties, I got into NASCAR, and bought a bunch of their cars, it still didn’t get into collecting properly. I have a few in the original package, but most of them, I took out and displayed them on the stand that comes with each car.
Now that I got back into it, I try to keep them in as good of condition as possible. I never plan to sell them, but I like to know that they’re still worth too price, and not at some lowered price due to being opened.
I just bought a 2car General Lee set yesterday. It has the nice looking version, and a “Barn Find” brand as well, where they make it look like it’s been stored in a barn for 30 years or so, and recently found. I can’t wait to add them to this post! 😁

Today we dive into the world of famous cars, made into diecast cars. I could post all day on these, but I’m gonna stretch it out. So I’ll start with a must have for all collectors! One of the most famous and beloved Movie cars ever….The “Bandit” from Smokey & the Bandit! Here we have to original car, and his arch nemesis’s police car, that was famously driven by Sheriff Buford T. Justice, and his Bonehead son! And also, “The Bandit 2”, as well as the “Just married” turned “Chase car” from Smokey and the Bandit part 2!

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpeg
    IMG_0902.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0901.jpeg
    IMG_0901.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
I'm not into collecting Hot Wheels, but I am enjoying this thread.
During the pandemic I worked briefly at Walmart for something to pass the time (mask police), and there were always men lined up before the store opened on whatever day it was that the new Hot Wheels were coming in. I only found this out because I asked one of my co-workers why this one particular group of guys would come in so early all the time and often not buy anything - if the new cars hadn't been put out they would come back later.

During the pandemic I worked briefly at Walmart for something to pass the time (mask police), and there were always men lined up before the store opened on whatever day it was that the new Hot Wheels were coming in. I only found this out because I asked one of my co-workers why this one particular group of guys would come in so early all the time and often not buy anything - if the new cars hadn't been put out they would come back later.Tha
During the pandemic I worked briefly at Walmart for something to pass the time (mask police), and there were always men lined up before the store opened on whatever day it was that the new Hot Wheels were coming in. I only found this out because I asked one of my co-workers why this one particular group of guys would come in so early all the time and often not buy anything - if the new cars hadn't been put out they would come back later.
Thank you, Nyssa42! Just trying to add something new for the boards. I’m not a diehard collector like that, but I do stop at the Hot Wheels display every time I go to the grocery store, and see what they have. Sometimes I will see something kind of cool, or on the rare occasion I will find something very cool. Then I sit there and decide if it will be a cool addition to my collection, or just be filler. Most of the time I put it back and walk away. I guess I need to learn when the new ones arrive at my local store, so that I can get in while the getting is good!

And I know exactly how you feel. I am the same way with comic books. I do not read or collect them. I have no personal internet in them for myself. But I love watching “Comic book nerds”. I love their passion, and knowledge of everything in the comic book universe! I could watch shows about diehard comic book fans all day long. They almost make me want to read a few comics, but I don’t. LOL

one of my favorites, and sure to be a crowd favorite (assuming I ever draw a crowd😉) is the Blues Brothers “Bluesmobile”! I still need to add the version with the giant speaker to my collection! (Yes, they exist!)

It’s hard to look at this one, and not hear in your head….

“It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes….it’s dark, and we’re wearing sunglasses!….Hit it”.

And of course….”They’re not gonna catch us! We’re on a mission from god!”.

(I’m betting most of you read those last few lines in Elwood’s voice! If you did, you’re a true fan! 😁)

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpeg
    IMG_0939.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0943.jpeg
    IMG_0943.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks Mike! I had a box full of Hot Wheels when I was a kid, and even had the much coveted (then and even more so now!) full set of Ertyl brand Dukes Of Hazzard cars, which included The General Lee, Daisy Duke’s cool Jeep, uncle Jesse’s Truck, Boss Hogg’s convertible Cadillac, Roscoe and Enos’s cop cars, and possibly even Cooter’s Tow Truck. Unfortunately, back then those things were for playing with and nobody thought of collecting them, and keeping them in pristine condition. I destroyed them all. I even found ways to launch the General Lee as far as possible!
Nowadays, a complete Ertyl DoH collection is hard to find, and fetches a nice price!
Then in my twenties, I got into NASCAR, and bought a bunch of their cars, it still didn’t get into collecting properly. I have a few in the original package, but most of them, I took out and displayed them on the stand that comes with each car.
Now that I got back into it, I try to keep them in as good of condition as possible. I never plan to sell them, but I like to know that they’re still worth too price, and not at some lowered price due to being opened.
I just bought a 2car General Lee set yesterday. It has the nice looking version, and a “Barn Find” brand as well, where they make it look like it’s been stored in a barn for 30 years or so, and recently found. I can’t wait to add them to this post! 😁
Did

I always loved the wheel/mag carrying case, and the tin badges of the different cars. Sean, Did you own these items as well?

I was about to start showing off my famous movie cars today, but they’ll have to wait, because I got a special request today by my BFAM Steve “The Hat Guru” Raboin, for one of his favorites! “The Superbird”. Now first I must clarify something. I love all American Muscle Car brands. Chevy, Ford, Plymouth/Dodge, etc.! If they were an American automaker in the 60’s and 70’s, and manufactured muscle cars, odds are they caught my undivided attention. But I’m in no way an expert on any of them. I always assumed that “The Superbird” was another nickname for the Dodge Charger Daytona, but I recently learned that “The Superbird” is actually based on the Plymouth Road Runner, and is “inspired” by the Dodge Daytona”. Very similar, but apparently slightly different?! If I’m wrong on that, please correct me.
Either way, I hope this is what you were wanting to see, Steve….as well as any one else.

The MECUM Auctioins 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona!
Love to watch the MECUM auction shows, so when I saw this diecast car, based on one of MECUM’s biggest buys, I had to have it. Such a cool car anyway, with plenty of history to it, but knowing it’s based on a real car that sold for $346,500, and it only cost me about $12…..how could I possibly pass it up?! 😁
This is likely as badass as the real car Sean. I know where you live, don’t leave your door unlocked 😉

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back