Byfield

JMO, but until Byfield gets more solid at FOs and defensive play, I'd use him as a power wing,
and encourage him to go to the net and try to score goals.

It would shore up the team on LW, and help build QB's confidence, as he eventually evolves
into a center over the next couple of years or so.

Anyway, that's how I'd handle QB.

As I recall, Mark Messier started as a power wing and moved to center after a few seasons
as he became more accomplished.

That might work for QB as well.

It's not a bad idea - move him to Kopitar's wing along with Fiala and put Kempe with Danault who he's worked with very well in the past. It would also give us a chance to play Moore on the 3rd line and see how successful he can be without Danault.

I think the best development they can give him is to get him comfortable with his role at center. I think Iaffalo and Kaliyev both represent an upgrade from what he was playing with last season, and hopefully there's a consistent spot for him on the PP somewhere. The onus will be on this 3rd line to chip in offensively and play tight checking. If they can do that, the Kings should be able to to swap a min or two of ice time from the Kopitar/Danault lines to the Byfield line. Between that and some time on the PP, we should see his minutes go up, and his opportunities to succeed will be available. But he's going to have to earn that, and i think he can. Hopefully the injury bug doesn't rear its ugly head with the Kings prospects this season.

Back