Salary Cap Current Cap Situation

HeadInjury

2 Late to Change My Name
Welcome back everyone. Following the Petersen/Walker trade and Gavrikov re-signing, here is our current cap situation.

$7,336,666 in cap space per Capfriendly, with 17 players counted, and not including Clarke.

Assuming Clarke makes the team, and assuming Kupari, JAD and Bjornfot all sign their qualifying offers (5% raise), then $3,843,083 in cap space would be left, with Vilardi and a goaltender left to sign.

I am not counting Fagemo, although he is no longer waiver exempt. If he makes the team over JAD, the math hardly changes.

If Durzi was traded and Spence replaced him on the roster, that would increase our cap space by $880,000. That money would come in handy in terms of signing another goaltender.

Hard to say what Vilardi will make. Hoven's site speculates $3 million, which is a good guess. Perhaps they get him to sign a one-year deal at a lower figure, knowing they will do him right like they did with Mikey Anderson. However, with his injury history, I could see Vilardi trying to get a longer deal at more than $3 million. Wouldn't blame him.

There is speculation about a Tom Wilson or Pierre-Luc Dubois trade. I just don't see how Dubois could be fit under the cap. Trading one of Iaffalo, Moore or Arvidsson would not be enough. Wilson at 50% retained would have a cap hit of $2,583,333. Probably doable if one of the three forwards mentioned are shipped out. But he wouldn't come cheap.

Wow, wait.. actual speculation about Tom Wilson? Where did you see this? I have been asking for this every Christmas for several seasons now. Would be stoked to have an animal like that on the roster. Go get Yanni Gourde from the Kraken, and also start carrying an old school barbarian battle ship type who just smokes opponents first and asks questions later. This team gets pushed around WAY too much, which is clearly the difference between THEN and now. I don’t give a damn who they trade out, because as currently constructed, this team is not winning a playoff series against teams like the Oilers or Vegas

Wow, wait.. actual speculation about Tom Wilson? Where did you see this? I have been asking for this every Christmas for several seasons now. Would be stoked to have an animal like that on the roster. Go get Yanni Gourde from the Kraken, and also start carrying an old school barbarian battle ship type who just smokes opponents first and asks questions later. This team gets pushed around WAY too much, which is clearly the difference between THEN and now. I don’t give a damn who they trade out, because as currently constructed, this team is not winning a playoff series against teams like the Oilers or Vegas
Hoven mentioned the Kings' interest in Wilson, among others. There apparently is an article on the Athletic about the Kings' interest in Dubois. Again, I think that has to be clickbait given the Kings' cap situation.

Also, I read somewhere that Chicago was way under the cap floor. I wonder if they’re thinking of trading a high salary like Arvidsson or Iafallo to get Chicago’s 19th pick?

Also, I read somewhere that Chicago was way under the cap floor. I wonder if they’re thinking of trading a high salary like Arvidsson or Iafallo to get Chicago’s 19th pick?
You never have to trade away first round picks to reach the cap floor. You can just sign free agents (overpay if you like) and keep the pick.

You never have to trade away first round picks to reach the cap floor. You can just sign free agents (overpay if you like) and keep the pick.
Arizona might need to trade for a contract but ufas aren't turning down Chicago

Updating the original post in light of the Durzi trade, assuming Clarke and Spence make the team, and assuming Kupari, JAD and Bjornfot all sign their qualifying offers (5% raise), then we will have $4,723,083 in cap space left, with Vilardi and a goaltender left to sign.

Updating this again in light of the PLD trade, assuming Clarke and Spence make the team, and assuming JAD, Bjornfot and Fagemo all sign their qualifying offers (5% raise), then we will have $294,833 in cap space left, with another forward and a goaltender left to sign.

Which means get ready to say goodbye to Moore or Arvidsson.

One other option to trading Moore or Arvidsson would be to trade Grundstrom. Blake suggested yesterday that they may not go with a full 23-man roster. If they only carry one extra forward, trade Grundstrom and replace him with a forward on a minimum salary, then they would have enough space to add a goalie for up to around $844,833.

While I don't think they will qualify MacEwen, it would not surprise me if he's signed to a minimum contract. If he doesn't make the team, they could use him in Ontario if he is not claimed on waivers.

The other option would be to trade Lizotte, but based on Blake's comments yesterday, it sounds like he intends Lizotte to be the 4C.

Updating this again in light of the PLD trade, assuming Clarke and Spence make the team, and assuming JAD, Bjornfot and Fagemo all sign their qualifying offers (5% raise), then we will have $294,833 in cap space left, with another forward and a goaltender left to sign.

Which means get ready to say goodbye to Moore or Arvidsson.
I'd like to see Arvi stick around but he gives you the most flexibility to sign what you need to sign, especially with this being his last season. I think it's just a matter of time before the next shoe drops.

One other option to trading Moore or Arvidsson would be to trade Grundstrom. Blake suggested yesterday that they may not go with a full 23-man roster. If they only carry one extra forward, trade Grundstrom and replace him with a forward on a minimum salary, then they would have enough space to add a goalie for up to around $844,833.

While I don't think they will qualify MacEwen, it would not surprise me if he's signed to a minimum contract. If he doesn't make the team, they could use him in Ontario if he is not claimed on waivers.

The other option would be to trade Lizotte, but based on Blake's comments yesterday, it sounds like he intends Lizotte to be the 4C.
What a sh*t show. Nothing says Cup contender like playing a man-short roster and having Copley (who was very good last season btw) and a 800k minor league guy as your goaltending tandem. It is like the Edmonton model of having weak goaltending but with even weaker goaltending and no McDavid-Draisaitl at the top of the lineup.

In light of today's signings, I have us at 22 players and a cap hit of $84,029,167. This is assuming Bjornfot signs his qualifying offer and makes the team over Englund. This also assumes Fagemo does not make the team. (13 forwards, 7 d and 2 goalies.)

So we are $529,167 over the cap. If they trade Grundstrom and replace him with Fagemo (signed at his QO), that saves us $550,000 which is just enough. If JAD and Lewis make the roster over Fagemo, we would be just short, unless they get Bjornfot to take a little less than his QO. It is possible as Vilardi did that just last season.

So, if Grundstrom is shipped out, there is a path to a 22-man roster.

Another possibility is that every game we have a 21-man roster and they accomplish this been repeatedly sending down to the minors one of Spence or Clarke (or Kaliyev). Whichever one would otherwise be scratched for that game.

That will work just fine until we get our first injury.

Last edited:
Never thought the 700K termination penalty for Mike Richards would actually hurt the team 9 years later. Crazy.

Also I still think Arvidsson gets traded.

In light of today's signings, I have us at 22 players and a cap hit of $84,029,167. This is assuming Bjornfot signs his qualifying offer and makes the team over Englund. This also assumes Fagemo does not make the team. (13 forwards, 7 d and 2 goalies.)

So we are $529,167 over the cap. If they trade Grundstrom and replace him with Fagemo (signed at his QO), that saves us $550,000 which is just enough. If JAD and Lewis make the roster over Fagemo, we would be just short, unless they get Bjornfot to take a little less than his QO. It is possible as Vilardi did that just last season.

So, if Grundstrom is shipped out, there is a path to a 22-man roster.

Another possibility is that every game we have a 21-man roster and they accomplish this been repeatedly sending down to the minors one of Spence or Clarke (or Kaliyev). Whichever one would otherwise be scratched for that game.

That will work just fine until we get our first injury.
Likely gonna be a 21 man roster until injuries and/or being later in the season provide the cap space for 22.

Another update given that everyone is now signed. Assuming Bjornfot makes the roster and the team carries only 13 forwards and 6 d-men, with Clarke and Spence never on the active roster at the same time (21 man roster), we will have $348,333 in cap space with Clarke on the roster and $391,666 in cap space with Spence on the roster. This means that, assuming no LTIR, a little over half way through the season, the team will be able to add an additional player at league minimum to the roster.

If Grundstrom is traded and replaced by a player earning league minimum, there would be enough cap space to go up to a 22-man roster.

Otherwise, one of JAD, Fagemo or Lewis will have to be waived. For cap purposes, it makes no difference which one as they all make league minimum.

Note that Bjornfot took less than his qualifying offer, in exchange for a one-way, two-year contract.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back