***DSLR/Photography MegaThread***

A292640F-5C1B-46A6-A4BC-ED88F6505172.jpeg

I think I’ve once again reached the limit of my nostalgic fascination with the film camera. I found out after the 37th exposure (what!?!) of my first roll of color film through the F3 at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in October that the film lead hadn’t been properly engaged by the winder spool. Yes, I forgot to watch the rewind knob for movement when advancing…this is apparently a perishable skill. And then, not thinking, I accidentally wound that roll completely back into it’s case. Attempts to get the film lead to engage any of three different “film retreivers” have failed. So I loaded (properly) a second roll of Kodak Gold 200, which I just finished up while at work the other day. A third roll of same was loaded right behind that one, but again it failed to be taken up by the winder spool (oprator error, no doubt). I caught this one in time to save it, however, and re-loaded it shortly after, though I’ve probably lost two exposures.

Then, on the next three days of work I was “randomly selected” for additional security screening. This is a GIANT PAIN IN THE ASS when I’m carrying a film camera and extra rolls I don’t want blasted by X-rays.

I was wholly disappointed by the quality of State Film Lab’s processing/scanning of the roll of Ilford HP5 I sent them a few months ago (expensive, bad water spots, and a six week turnaround), and I’m searching for another company that processes and scans to .tif file formats. Everyone I’ve found so far, the going rate is $35-$45/roll without prints. I just can’t justify that for the regular photographic activities of mine.

I love the old-school full-manual camera experience, though. So I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a Nikon Zf body soon, then hit eBay for some excellent conditon vintage prime Nikon f-mount lenses and run them through and FTC adapter. All the tactile pleasure of a manual camera while still packed with all the full-frame digital features! And none of the film PITA.
IMG_5748.jpeg

Shot Ube Fest last night for City of LB. Tried some shots without the flash and they turned out great. Used high ISO but AI noise reduction cleaned up things very well. Opens up a lot of possibilities.
07312EF0-BBD4-40DA-B650-638146A14C0F.jpeg

Anyone else have a full-manual Nikon film camera and want a non-AI lens?

I have a 135mm f/2.8 non-AI lens that I bought on ebay accidentally (meant to buy the AI-S version…damned auctions all look the same).

I’d let go for $75 plus the cost of putting it in a USPS one-rate box to you.

Did a thing. Again.

Been carrying the F3 on work trips. Three rolls of film processing and scanning has cost me $105.

So I bought this mint Df body to give me that full-manual camera aesthetic/feel while still shooting digital.
IMG_6180.jpeg

I’d thought of going with a new Zf, but those would require the FTZ converter to use all the old-school manual F-mount lenses I have and love.

Did a thing. Again.

Been carrying the F3 on work trips. Three rolls of film processing and scanning has cost me $105.

So I bought this mint Df body to give me that full-manual camera aesthetic/feel while still shooting digital. View attachment 8125
I’d thought of going with a new Zf, but those would require the FTZ converter to use all the old-school manual F-mount lenses I have and love.
dang that's pretty!

Reactions: FBJ
The 50mm f/1.2 and it don’t play nice wide-open. Soft-focused at the focus target like crazy. But at f/4 and up seems to be a pretty sharp combo.
_GDF0005.jpeg

Focus point is on the “N” in the finder at f/1.2, 250th, and ISO200.

IMG_6200.jpeg

Focused on hus right eye at f/4, 1/250th, and ISO800.

This first pic still has a nice effect on it, even though it has no noticeable focal point. Definitely workable in an artsy way.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom