***DSLR/Photography MegaThread***

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=letsgokingsco-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0007QKMSC&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I would kill for this. The price keeps dropping. 8 megapixels yow

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=letsgokingsco-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0007QKMSC&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I would kill for this. The price keeps dropping. 8 megapixels yow

Nice script boss. :good:

Not bad for a Nikon... ;) Which version of 70-300 lens did you get? I heard it's worse than 70-210, which is of course understandable. Distortions at high zooms, slow AF, focus errors,...

I'm going to buy a Digital SLR...

I haven't had much time to do the research, but I'd like to have it before Tip-A-King next weekend.

My first inclination was to get the Canon Rebel XTi package with the crappy 18-55mm lens that comes with the package... Fully intending to eventually upgrade the lens.

Costco has it for $799, Best Buy has it for $899, but since I'm part of their stupid reward zone I get 12% off this weekend.

Does anyone have this model? Does anyone know where to get it cheaper? I'd rather to go a small business anyhow.

Anyone have recommendations for or against this model?

Any feedback you want to throw my way will be appreciated.

I like that Rebel, I know a lot of people who use it. Im a canon guy too, but Im not ready to make the jump to digi SLR.

did you look at bhphotovideo.com for price check? no tax and inexpensive, fast shipping.

I plan to upgrade my 6.3 mp Rebel to the Xti very soon. I highly recommend the Rebel line. You can't go wrong. The 18-55 lens isn't as crappy as everyone says. It's a versatile, all around decent lense. I still use it, in addition to a Sigma 55-200. I just shot about 200 pics on a recent road trip. Here's a pic from it.

The Digital Rebel XTI goes for about as much as the Nikon D70. I have both. Check out www.shopsunshine.com, they're also on ebay. The packages ROCK!

Which do you prefer, out of curiousity?

Most people I know that own either are happy, but I deal with a lot of pro-photos and they're usually strictly Canon or Nikon, they use stuff like RebelXTI or D70 for family vacations, and get out the big boys for work.

I got the Rebel last year for my birthday. I love it. But I'm a Canon person.
I found it at Costco for $799 and they were running a $100 off promotion at the time so I bought mine for $699.
I actually like the lens it comes with, takes very good pictures and I'm a scrapbooker, so thats important. I plan on getting a couple of different lenses later this year, but I'm still having fun playing with all the options on this one and getting to know everything.

Which do you prefer, out of curiousity?

Most people I know that own either are happy, but I deal with a lot of pro-photos and they're usually strictly Canon or Nikon, they use stuff like RebelXTI or D70 for family vacations, and get out the big boys for work.

I prefer the Rebel. My girlfriend prefers her Nikon. We're both photographers. She attends Brooks College of Photography. You really can't go wrong with either.

This will give you some good information on both.
Nikon
Canon

Canon has taken over the Digital Market. I linked an International Cinematographers Guild article the last time this subject came up and every still photographer interviewed recommended Canon over Nikon. Even the one who shoots all Nikon.

Search - Still Photography:
http://www.cameraguild.com/

Last edited:
Brooks is good, I know two guys that went there and are doing well for the 100K they spent!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and links to great resources. I don't know if I'm any closer to making a decision on where to go, but thanks all the same.

All DSLR's are capable of taking great pictures. You need to go to the store and fondle a few. The one that feels the best in your hands is the one that you want. No review will tell you that.

Both Canon and Nikon have excellent bodies and a wide range of lenses. Don't overlook Pentax and Sony; there is a lot to be said for in-body stabilization.

One other thing which can limit you is the lens, which is far more important than the body; people moving from P&S cameras usually don't realize this. If you plan to take good photos with your DSLR, plan to spend some money on some good lenses, rather than sticking with the crappy kit lens. A DSLR without good glass is pointless, other than impressing the neighbors; you would be better off with a point-and-shoot.

Cant go wrong with a Nikon D80 and the 70-300mm VR2 lens.

Santiclaws is 100% correct. The bodies are basicaly the same. Spend your money on glass.

I use a Canon digital rebel for all my pics. :)

I always go to dpreview.com before making any digital camera or accessory purchase. They do VERY in depth professional quality reviews complete with scientific testing and sample photos. They show you the results of the test not just talk about it. You can also view every screen on the control system. There is also a forum where you can ask your question there. They have educational/technique articles and its all free.

Here is a link to a side-by-side comparison of the tech specs for the two cameras in question:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos400d%2Cnikon_d80&show=all

But you should check out the reviews of each of the cameras, they will either make your decision easy or they will confuse the hell out of you. They also list current pricing comparisons at some of the online stores. In the reviews they make comparisons between these models.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/

All said, I agree with the other comment that you have to go touch them. That is when you will know which one to get. I would probably buy from Costco, I think they have a liberal return policy.

I have the Rebel xt. and LOVE it!!
Its fun and easy to use.. Enjoy it!

also... the best part of getting into the Cannon line is that you can interchange your lenses.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom