Edler re signs

B

Butsy

Lurker
One year at 750,000. Plus roster bonuses of another 750,000 possible for games played.

Last edited by a moderator:
One year at 750,000. Plus roster bonuses of another 750,000 possible for games played.

Zach Dooley
@DooleyLAK
?
13m
Respect Your Edlers!

The
@LAKings
have signed defenseman Alex Edler to a one-year contract extension, with an AAV of $750,000 and an additional $750,000 in games played bonuses.

Great signing at a very good price. Welcome back, Alex!

So can we please wave adios to Matta? Give the ice time to the kiddos, who’ve gained some valuable experience and should now be able to step up. Mikey, Toby, et al.

I'll be interested to see who picks up Maata tomorrow. Probably not going to be the Kings. That would just be a really low contract.

I’m very much OK with this. If he even remotely duplicates his fancy stats from this season (when he wasn’t on IR of course) … great for the LAKings. If he can also act as an accomplished veteran teacher and example for the kids… great for the LAKings kiddos. (And if he goes out again with another injury… it only cost us the bare minimum.) I’ll also look forward to him getting his silver stick.

Here's how the games played bonus is structured:

$250K at 10 GP
$250k at 15 GP
$250k at 20 GP

So easily reached if he's a regular.

Never thought I'd say this when we first signed Edler, but I love this.

$250K at 10 GP
$250k at 15 GP
$250k at 20 GP

Yet it safeguards the Kings in the event of an early season injury to an older player. If Edler can play nearly as well as he did before the injury occurred, the Kings will be very pleased to pay a 3rd pairing regular $1.5 million.

I thought Edler's career was over when he got that injury last season. I'll take him back on an incentive contract after we saw what he brought last year.

He was good before the injury but was not that good after, and we should expect that since it was a terrible injury. Next season he will be slower but he will teach the kids positioning.

Yet it safeguards the Kings in the event of an early season injury to an older player. If Edler can play nearly as well as he did before the injury occurred, the Kings will be very pleased to pay a 3rd pairing regular $1.5 million.

The only problem is if they have to deploy him as a 2, which maybe he can do in spot work but I hope not for extended play.

Brilliant signing. If Bjornfot outplays him and Walker, he plays with the Kings. If he doesn't he goes to Ontario where he'll almost certainly be a 1st pairing D with Spence.

I'm okay with 750k. I think he was making 3 mil last year?

$3.5M

$250K at 10 GP
$250k at 15 GP
$250k at 20 GP

They did this so his cap hit for this season is $750K and if they exceed the cap ($82.5M), the $750K bonuses carry over to next year and reduce next year's cap.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem is if they have to deploy him as a 2, which maybe he can do in spot work but I hope not for extended play.

I'd bet he averages 17-18 minutes a game. More when there's lots of PK duty and less when there isn't.

I don?t see any way possible that Spence and Bjornfot are on the Kings roster to start the season. We will still have 7 rostered defenders unless someone gets traded, and that?s even assuming Clarke goes back to juniors. That being said, it seems like a solid signing, particularly because we now have three true left siders with Anderson/edler/movarare. I suspect they will try walker on the left side to start and moverare will be the 7th man.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back