Elliott: Why Anze Kopitar beats Gretzky, Dionne and Robitaille as king of Kings

I agree with the list, but am no fan of Helene. She was always perpetuating negativity through some dark years following the Kings. Made it that much more difficult for us die hard fans who were starved for the Kings to win.

Marcel will always be #1 to me. I wish most Kings fans had a chance to see him play. But its Kopitar following Marcel and everybody else behind them.

I didn't grow up or grow into any of those old school players with the Kings as I started watching in ~98, but.. I mean, how many cups did they win with the Kings? If we're talking "the greatest Kings" I think one need look no further than a certain 4 individuals, 2-3 of them apparently not being on that list. But Kopitar? King of Kings, all day. They were great players, and great Kings, but the greatest have got to bring that cup home, and they did.

Last edited:
Even though I started following the kings in 93 for real (I dabbled when gretzky showed up) I still remember back then older relatives telling me about Rogie and Marcel and Goring. I'm not sure my top 10 list but I know that players like McSorely, Lappy, Granato, Deadmarsh and Palffy gave me some of the most formative memories of my life and its hard to put that into perspective of historical greatness. I mean Brown, Doughty, Kopi and Quick are completely inseparable in my mind, they should be 1 slot. In any case its great fodder for discussion.

Even though I started following the kings in 93 for real (I dabbled when gretzky showed up) I still remember back then older relatives telling me about Rogie and Marcel and Goring. I'm not sure my top 10 list but I know that players like McSorely, Lappy, Granato, Deadmarsh and Palffy gave me some of the most formative memories of my life and its hard to put that into perspective of historical greatness. I mean Brown, Doughty, Kopi and Quick are completely inseparable in my mind, they should be 1 slot. In any case its great fodder for discussion.

Yeah, what could have come from.the Allison, Deader and Pallfy yrs had they not got hurt....

Last edited:
I go back a long time and I think Anze takes this one. He is not my all-time favorite King (that'd be Butch Goring) but the greatest King has to be Kopitar for the obvious reasons....IMO.

jom

I go back a long time and I think Anze takes this one. He is not my all-time favorite King (that'd be Butch Goring) but the greatest King has to be Kopitar for the obvious reasons....IMO.

jom

Its a toss up IMO between brown and kopi. Brown started at the very bottom for a cpl yrs b4 Kopi and crew came up.

There are legends, and then there are legends that finally brought the CUP to LA....not once, but TWICE.

Not to mention a team president and GM that for the first time in Kings history had a long term plan, and stuck with it, and brought the CUP to LA.

I agree with the list, but am no fan of Helene. She was always perpetuating negativity through some dark years following the Kings. Made it that much more difficult for us die hard fans who were starved for the Kings to win.
I think you spelled HONESTY wrong, but I get the sentiment.

Would expect Dewey and quick also to get the jersey in the rafters

This is probably dumb question but can we retire Quick's jersey if he "retires" on another team / if he doesn't want it (would be odd but IDK)? Just curious.. he absolutely should be in the rafters one day.

Kopi by a hair over Brown, never had a chance to see Dionne but did see Taylor, Gretzky and Luc, Maybe if McSorely had changed out his stick in the third like he should have my feeling would be different but .... Kopi meanwhile was instrumental in the 2 cups and has benn team leader in points for 15 out of 16 years while playing Selke level defense.

This is probably dumb question but can we retire Quick's jersey if he "retires" on another team / if he doesn't want it (would be odd but IDK)? Just curious.. he absolutely should be in the rafters one day.
There are no rules so to speak. Each team decides what they want to do. Some teams say the player needs to be in the HOF. Other teams (such as the Kings) do it differently...at least in the case of Taylor and probably Brown.

jom

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back