For the amrchair scouts out there, what do you see in Byfield?

S

s7even

Lurker
I know he's young and all that, but if you're scouting him after 29 games this season, what is your analysis of him? What is he doing well and what does he need to work on? What is your player comparison now vs. before the draft (when he was being compared to guys like Malkin)? I'd like to hold hope for him, but I watch him every shift when he's on the ice, and I'm not seeing the potential.

A kid who excelled at a young age due to size, strength, and quickness advantages. Who now doesn't seem to posses barely anything in the realm of elite "hockey skill" or "hockey sense". His passing will be to the right area but without the proper "touch" or speed, often rifled in...board work is very poor. I've seen him be first to to boards countless times only for the other player to come away with the puck. His shooting his much more based on power than placement / accuracy.

I'm actually quite concerned. I though we'd really see some nice flashes with him on the top line, and I agreed with that decision. But that experiment needs to end NOW. QB does not belong on the top line, yet alone, possibly in the NHL at this point.

Guys I'd rather see on the top line: Vilardi, Moore, Kupari, and since the team has shown the willingness to play people out of position, I say this in all sincerity for the moment, I'd even rather see JAD or Lizzote up there to mix things up. All those guys have hockey sense and hockey skill. QB has not shown much if any of that unfortunately.

I still have hope but it will clearly be another 2 years before he gets it together, if ever. I'd move him in a heartbeat right now for a quality haul.

Really hurts to think what could have been if we had Stu or anyone except Turcotte. But that's hockey. Blake has done very well for what he has but passing on Stu will haunt us. We'd be contenders in the West right away with Stu.

Anyway, GKG.

Guys I'd rather see on the top line: Vilardi, Moore, Kupari, and since the team has shown the willingness to play people out of position, I say this in all sincerity for the moment, I'd even rather see JAD or Lizzote up there to mix things up.

ooh...Lizotte on the top line would be very interesting. Would free Kempe from some of his defensive responsibility so he could just do his magic!

I agree with all the rest of your post, too - just didn't want a giant post-quote

By no means have I been a big defender. I live in Stutzle land and it's hard to watch him get better and better all the time, BUT.... I do see things with Byfield. First of all, he's hanging pretty well on the top line. It takes a certain amount of skill just to play with players like Kopi and Kempe. I'm sure many of you are reading that and thinking - but there's no results, at least in terms of stats and that is mostly true. There seems to be a lot of plays where he almost does something great, he's Mr. Almost right now and while you don't want Mr. Almost, it can turn into something great. He is still young, especially when you factor in injury time. He makes plays, he intercepts, he gets open, he creates openings, but he also looks out of step a lot. My hope is that has to do with him not being fully grown into his body. And if you watch him closely, that's exactly how I would explain him. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him by any means, I would have taken the project over the sure thing, but as I said elsewhere, I don't think most people realized just how good the sure thing was going to be.

A kid who excelled at a young age due to size, strength, and quickness advantages. Who now doesn't seem to posses barely anything in the realm of elite "hockey skill" or "hockey sense". His passing will be to the right area but without the proper "touch" or speed, often rifled in...board work is very poor. I've seen him be first to to boards countless times only for the other player to come away with the puck. His shooting his much more based on power than placement / accuracy.

I'm actually quite concerned. I though we'd really see some nice flashes with him on the top line, and I agreed with that decision. But that experiment needs to end NOW. QB does not belong on the top line, yet alone, possibly in the NHL at this point.

Guys I'd rather see on the top line: Vilardi, Moore, Kupari, and since the team has shown the willingness to play people out of position, I say this in all sincerity for the moment, I'd even rather see JAD or Lizzote up there to mix things up. All those guys have hockey sense and hockey skill. QB has not shown much if any of that unfortunately.

I still have hope but it will clearly be another 2 years before he gets it together, if ever. I'd move him in a heartbeat right now for a quality haul.

Really hurts to think what could have been if we had Stu or anyone except Turcotte. But that's hockey. Blake has done very well for what he has but passing on Stu will haunt us. We'd be contenders in the West right away with Stu.

Anyway, GKG.

Stu would have changed some things though - wouldn't likely have gone after Fiala... but I guess in theory you wouldn't need him. Stu was supposed to be a solid winger (I thought), but appears to be something much more special. Ottawa killed it in that top five. Stu and their future captain.

He's also drawing the opposing toughest defenders and the most difficult defensive assignments.

I know Malkin was a comparable by some of what COULD happen. Lately Tage as well, but I wonder about Joe Thornton. I may be remembering wrong, but my recollection is there was similarities in terms of not growing into his body right away and truly looking like a total bust. Not saying therefor this is QB but there is hope and to me you keep this guy as long as possible - because at this point we need to see it through.

LOL, look at Jack Hughes and his first 2 seasons.
QB has never played a full season, incurred a major injury, and is only at game 29 this year. The kid looks good, and he's starting to use his size which is also a good sign. He'll open up as that gangly frame fills out more, and for a guy that big, his feet are damn quick! It'll come together.

He ****kng sucks.. meanwhile, Dawson Mercer at 18th overall seems to know how to find the back of the net. Imagine if we’d gotten to draft #2 overall in the following draft year. Woof. So ****kng painful to watch. I pray I’ll be eating crow on this one in the near future, but I don’t think so. We basically drafted Trevor Lewis 2nd overall.

Been saying since he came into the Kings, especially this year - I see nothin. But I ain't an airmchair scout. I just see a player who looks uninterested and lost. I think he's made... one good pass? In his career with the Kings? I don't see any drive or determination from him, or skill. People defending him all year and a lot seem to be changing their minds very recently, which is making me laugh a bit. Yeah, he's young - so what. A young player should be out there with something to prove, being fast, agile, bring some enthusiasm, and all that supposed skill. He brings none of it, and brings his line down. He looks about Edler's age out there. He goes out of his way to get rid of the puck (to the other team). I don't see how in any logical world he's on the top line against the best players. 4th line player at best. Again - I hope he proves me wrong. Nothing against him but.. yeah, I'm not seeing anything there. If it were up to me he'd be off the team for any one of the players sitting.

Last edited:
At least he has improved his skating? Doesn't look like he's about to fall down every shift now. Also goes into the corner without getting knocked down most of the time. I think he even had a shot on goal in the game against Minnesota the other night?

On a more serious tone - he's definitely not what we were all sold (total package, ready to take Kopi's job in like a year), but he is young and seems to be improving - did great on the Reign (who are now sucking). Needs to get some time in as a center, though, if he really is going to be the Center Of The Future. Move him down with Kupari to learn grit.

And...we'll have Brandt Clarke to be excited about next season!

Lately Tage as well, - because at this point we need to see it through.

Tage Thompson is the correct response to the doubters. Compare their physical attributes and look at the season he's having this year. He just scored his 4th hatty of the year tonight. He had a 5 goal game earlier this season.

That's the potential and why you don't give up on him.

I know Malkin was a comparable by some of what COULD happen. Lately Tage as well, but I wonder about Joe Thornton. I may be remembering wrong, but my recollection is there was similarities in terms of not growing into his body right away and truly looking like a total bust. Not saying therefor this is QB but there is hope and to me you keep this guy as long as possible - because at this point we need to see it through.

Add Dach to the list. Big kid who's just coming into his own this season, at 23.

Malkin came to the league at 20/21 after playing nearly 3 full seasons as a pro in KHL. But then again - Malkin is one of the best and most dominant centers to play in the past 2 decades, so this comparison is very optimistic no matter how you look at it...

Joe Thornton's 1st year was atrocious and seemed like a bust, 2nd year nothing spectacular...the rest is history.

And the others that have been mentioned...they all "sucked" for quite a while before coming into their own. I mean, it's not like QB hasn't improved (both in AHL and NHL) since his first season with the pros, he had injury problems in his first 2 seasons (games played combine into just slightly more than 1 full season) which doesn't only take away the time to improve his game but also confidence, trust in your body etc.

If he manages to avoid serious injuries from now on I can totally see him becoming a very successful NHLer shortly after Kopitar hangs them up...so, just in time.

At least he has improved his skating? Doesn't look like he's about to fall down every shift now. Also goes into the corner without getting knocked down most of the time. I think he even had a shot on goal in the game against Minnesota the other night?

On a more serious tone - he's definitely not what we were all sold (total package, ready to take Kopi's job in like a year), but he is young and seems to be improving - did great on the Reign (who are now sucking). Needs to get some time in as a center, though, if he really is going to be the Center Of The Future. Move him down with Kupari to learn grit.

And...we'll have Brandt Clarke to be excited about next season!

We were definitely sold hard on QB, and it has been disappointing to see that the hype and the player do not seem to have much in common. I don’t see a player with a strong power game, a superior shot, above average passing skills, and high level hockey sense. All I see right now is a project who may not produce solid results for another couple of years. I am definitely okay with Rob taking a chance on a lower round pick, but a #2 overall should have been far closer to NHL success at this point.

We were definitely sold hard on QB, and it has been disappointing to see that the hype and the player do not seem to have much in common. I don’t see a player with a strong power game, a superior shot, above average passing skills, and high level hockey sense. All I see right now is a project who may not produce solid results for another couple of years. I am definitely okay with Rob taking a chance on a lower round pick, but a #2 overall should have been far closer to NHL success at this point.

Very well said. Could not agree more.

Go Kings!!

He's been unlucky with injuries and illness. Just need to give him time to progress to whatever it is that he can become. It took Kempe quite awhile to become the player he is.

That said, nothing I've seen suggests he will be an elite player or has elite skills. He's on pace for 4 goals this year, even after a stint on the top line.

I'd move him down to the third line, centering Iaffalo and Vilardi. Maybe put Moore on the top line and leave Fiala on the second line for awhile.

Anyway, GKG.

Agree 100%. Been saying it for a while but glad to see some affirmation at last.

I'm definitely irked by the number of board battles that he loses. With his size, he should be winning those battles. Gabe is much more productive along the boards. He wins more than his share of 50/50's.

I get the attraction of having a guy with size and speed dominating all over the ice (Gabe with wheels is a #2 overall package). The tool set seems to be there. But what I see is a guy who doesn't have an elite shot, loses board battles, and doesn't really make the linemates better.

I'd keep him on the top line. Either he is going to "get it" or we can at least pad his stats a little bit and ship him off to another team.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took Kempe quite awhile to become the player he is.

That said, nothing I've seen suggests he will be an elite player or has elite skills. He's on pace for 4 goals this year, even after a stint on the top line.

Yes, Kempe was a late bloomer. But he always showed he had star-quality talent in many areas from the day he joined the Monarchs as an 18-year old. Juice's problem was putting it all together on a consistent basis. In Byfield's case, I don't see the superstar talent or the hockey IQ required to play 1C.

Hickey 2.0 incoming. We'll be lucky if he ends up being a 3-4 liner. He may not have as much experience as some people tout as why he needs time. But as this post mentions he doesnt show flashes of anything.

Agree 100%. Been saying it for a while but glad to see some affirmation at last.

I'm definitely irked by the number of board battles that he loses. With his size, he should be winning those battles. Gabe is much more productive along the boards. He wins more than his share of 50/50's.

I get the attraction of having a guy with size and speed dominating all over the ice (Gabe with wheels is a #2 overall package). The tool set seems to be there. But what I see is a guy who doesn't have an elite shot, loses board battles, and doesn't really make the linemates better.

I'd keep him on the top line. Either he is going to "get it" or we can at least pad his stats a little bit and ship him off to another team.

Pad his stats? He's on pace for no more than 4 or so goals on the top line. Value gonna plummet if he doesn't do anything. He needed to be shipped out for Chychrun 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back