Former LA Kings Goaltender Roman Cechmanek dies at age 52.

at 52, he was no young buck. It is sad, but didn't he have some issueIs
at 52, he was no young buck. It is sad, but didn't he have some issues?
I'm not one to speculate, but he was in alot of debt and made some poor financial choices. He was also being investigated for fraud. He lost alot of assets and money. Not sure if that played into it at all.

Rest In Peace.

Cechmanek played in Philadelphia for three seasons and won the Bobby Clarke Trophy for team MVP in 2002-03.

He spent one season with the Kings in 2003-04.

He kicked off his career as an NHL All-Star and polished off his rookie season as the runner-up for the Vezina Trophy, which goes to the league’s best goalie, after recording a 2.01 goals-against average, .921 save percentage and 10 shutouts.

Across his NHL career he was 110-64-28 with a 2.08 goals-against average, a .919 save percentage and 25 shutouts in 212 games.

He returned to the Czech Republic to play for HC Vsetin in 2004.

Cechmanek was Dominik Hasek’s backup for the Czech Republic team that won Olympic gold during the Nagano Games in 1998.

GettyImages-2840967.jpg

I was at the game when the Flyers came to LA. I think the Kings shut them out 5-0.

I remember he was allowing a lot of bad goals, and in one game in particular Miller said after a save, "be still my heart."

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back